P1000 Driving through water

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Total newbi here. I've been reading this forum for months though, and one of the things I read at least twice was "read the owners manual completely". Well, I'm most of the way though it, and I read that I need to make sure any water I drive though in not more than 10" deep. Are you kidding me? I'm still completely stock, just bought it 6 days ago, but it's got 12" of ground clearance, and I assumed it had the capability to get through a puddle at least a little higher than that. Help me out here, I don't want to drive 90+ miles to a park with trails only to f*** my buggy up or get stuck on the first ride. How concerned should I be?

J

JTW

Lmao.. run a vent line kit and you’ll be golden. That’s assuming you bought a new machine. The air intake was changed mid 2017 to allow for better water intrusion protection. You’ll see many of us with snorkels and such for added protection. But realistically, you’ll be fine to ride.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Total newbi here. I've been reading this forum for months though, and one of the things I read at least twice was "read the owners manual completely". Well, I'm most of the way though it, and I read that I need to make sure any water I drive though in not more than 10" deep. Are you kidding me? I'm still completely stock, just bought it 6 days ago, but it's got 12" of ground clearance, and I assumed it had the capability to get through a puddle at least a little higher than that. Help me out here, I don't want to drive 90+ miles to a park with trails only to f*** my buggy up or get stuck on the first ride. How concerned should I be?
Meh... That's lawyer speak. In case some bird brain rides through a rushing stream 16" deep and gets swept away, that statement in the owners manual will absolve them of any liability. One thing I would recommend you check is to make sure your under carriage air ducts are not split or disconnected. Idle the engine and place your hand over the air intake under the hood. The engine should die quickly. If it tries to sputter along, you have a leak possibly at a clamped joint or a split duct or loose throttle body hose etc.

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, sounds like extending the front differential, rear differential, and fuel tank vent hoses is a necessity. Maybe the sub trans vent hose too. I'm no mechanic, I wouldn't even know where to look for these things. Does someone sell a kit with instructions?

Reactions: Biteme
J

JTW

OK, sounds like extending the front differential, rear differential, and fuel tank vent hoses is a necessity. Maybe the sub trans vent hose too. I'm no mechanic, I wouldn't even know where to look for these things. Does someone sell a kit with instructions?
Yeah, you’re better off buying. The kit the guy on here sells.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Vent hoses are pretty easy to find, there's a hose coming out of each component and headed up hill from there. It's common practice to extend that hose as high as is practical.

The SYA snorkel kit runs them up to the height of the snorkel. Others run them into the top corner of the roll cage (to the left of the snorkel in this photo).

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That link is from 2017 and no longer works. :(

Reactions: Mudwing
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I am going to get some hate for this post because it don't fit the excepted forum veiw.
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 with 4,100 + miles on, it lives outdoors all the time last summer I had took the roof off, had it off for most of the summer it never ever had a full P5 roof only 3 seater roof zero water intrusion!!!
I just changed the differential oils last night zero water intrusion,
I had water coming in over the floor on a stream crossing 4 weeks ago I have been blasting up and down a creek hitting the hole with speed I have yet to have any water intrusion.
I do not go swamping no ever intend to for normal stream crossing and splashing through the mud and water your stock vent tubes are fine, I would consider it a cheap insurance to make me feel good modd but not as important as it implied on this form.

When we where out in CO we crossed a stream that was all most up to are seat bottom so deep we had to help my son on his 300ex across because one end or the other would float down stream no signs of water intrusion.
Thought I should post a counter experience of the heard mentality of you MUST extend your vents or your machine will be water damaged when you use it.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I am going to get some hate for this post because it don't fit the excepted forum veiw.
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 with 4,100 + miles on, it lives outdoors all the time last summer I had took the roof off, had it off for most of the summer it never ever had a full P5 roof only 3 seater roof zero water intrusion!!!

What!? Heresy!
Get out the torches and pitchforks!

Haha, so your thinking honda got it right for a change?
At least for the normal user (who still has 71 payments to make).
But they stopped making jet skis so you would think they might compensate on the SxS for the people that really wanted an Aqua Trax .
(How the hell dosent boat leave a track?)

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just changed the differential oils last night zero water intrusion,
I had water coming in over the floor on a stream crossing 4 weeks ago I have been blasting up and down a creek hitting the hole with speed I have yet to have any water intrusion.
I do not go swamping no ever intend to for normal stream crossing and splashing through the mud and water your stock vent tubes are fine, I would consider it a cheap insurance to make me feel good modd but not as important as it implied on this form.

When we where out in CO we crossed a stream that was all most up to are seat bottom so deep we had to help my son on his 300ex across because one end or the other would float down stream no signs of water intrusion.
Thought I should post a counter experience of the heard mentality of you MUST extend your vents or your machine will be water damaged when you use it.
I would at least do the gas tank vent line. A guy I work with never intended on mud bogging either. But slid into this hole and his gas tank vent line was full of mud. 5 minutes and a few dollars will at least get the gas tank line higher up. I did all of mine and i hope it was for nothing. Lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would at least do the gas tank vent line. A guy I work with never intended on mud bogging either. But slid into this hole and his gas tank vent line was full of mud. 5 minutes and a few dollars will at least get the gas tank line higher up. I did all of mine and i hope it was for nothing. LolView attachment 201375
Yes. Great example.
If you dont do any... DO THE FUEL TANK.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
What!? Heresy!
Get out the torches and pitchforks!

Haha, so your thinking honda got it right for a change?
At least for the normal user (who still has 71 payments to make).
But they stopped making jet skis so you would think they might compensate on the SxS for the people that really wanted an Aqua Trax .
(How the hell dosent boat leave a track?)

There are people on this form that get water in there fuel.
My experience has been that the factory vents are fine for me, and my Pioneer sets outside all the time and experiences power washings, rain, snow, and hail just offering a counter experience.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!