Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little review of the new Yamaha wolverine x4. Bottom line is I was disappointed. Granted it wasn't a full on trail ride but a 5 acre field. Suspension is very stiff and rough. Disconnect the front and rear sway bars and bigger softer tire may help. Throttle response is not there (drive by wire) felt bound up and slow I kept thinking park brake was on. Cabin is cramped especially the rear. 51mph top speed. Low ground clearance. No turf mode

Positives
Nice looking
Front cab layout is awsome
Appears very well built frame ect
Engine is very smooth and quiet.

I was able to drive the 700 Wolverine back-to-back with this and I prefer the 700 all day long it felt faster and definitely was a lot smoother riding over the same field. Yamaha had an opportunity to really create an awesome machine and this didn't quite do it for me.
20171007 120853
20171007 120755
20171007 120747
20171007 120721

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little review of the new Yamaha wolverine x4. Bottom line is I was disappointed. Granted it wasn't a full on trail ride but a 5 acre field. Suspension is very stiff and rough. Disconnect the front and rear sway bars and bigger softer tire may help. Throttle response is not there (drive by wire) felt bound up and slow I kept thinking park brake was on. Cabin is cramped especially the rear. 51mph top speed. Low ground clearance. No turf mode

Positives
Nice looking
Front cab layout is awsome
Appears very well built frame ect
Engine is very smooth and quiet.

I was able to drive the 700 Wolverine back-to-back with this and I prefer the 700 all day long it felt faster and definitely was a lot smoother riding over the same field. Yamaha had an opportunity to really create an awesome machine and this didn't quite do it for me.View attachment 55746 View attachment 55747 View attachment 55748 View attachment 55749
I prefer the looks of the pioneer 1000-5 over this. The wheel base looks too short, does it share it's chassis with the two seater?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer the looks of the pioneer 1000-5 over this. The wheel base looks too short, does it share it's chassis with the two seater?
No it appeared to be quite a bit longer than the 700. It's kind of funny because the rear seats are right tight against the doors there's enough room between the rear seats to put a cooler kind of odd because it's narrower than the 1000 - 5

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was really hoping it would be alot like our pioneer but with their belt drive. It did pull pretty good in the midrange.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a lot of the same info as it seems off of the reviews and vids I've been seeing. The positive I see a lot is how quiet it is and I know the seats will be bad ass based off of ours.
We had to put money down on one to be able to test it Like we want to but we'll be running it in the trails where we ride next week.
Really surprised you felt like 700 was quicker off the bottom as that'll be a disappointment in a machine of that size.
Thanks for the review buddy i trust what you have to say

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a lot of the same info as it seems off of the reviews and vids I've been seeing. The positive I see a lot is how quiet it is and I know the seats will be bad ass based off of ours.
We had to put money down on one to be able to test it Like we want to but we'll be running it in the trails where we ride next week.
Really surprised you felt like 700 was quicker off the bottom as that'll be a disappointment in a machine of that size.
Thanks for the review buddy i trust what you have to say
The biggest surprise was how rough it rode compared to the rspec. Then the back seats. My shoulders were to wide to sit square.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally got to see the x4 in person. We weren't able to test drive as this one is the owners personal. I was promised a warmed up x4 waiting for us the following weekend and he said take it from town and run it through our trails so I guarantee I'll give it real world run. Be taking both damn sway bars off.
Initial opinion, this is a very solid built well thought out rig. Finish is second to none! Front feels great with just slightly less leg room then our Wolverine but still more the p1k. Adjustable seat is very cozy and my daughter was able to reach pedals perfectly. Dash is just ok but has plug and play switch locations and a direct plug for stereo. Has multiple well placed cup holders throughout including 4 in the rear and 12v plug for rear passengers. Plenty of room between seats for a cooler and good room behind the rear seats for extra gear. Lots of storage spots throughout as well.
Rear seats are a little tight to the side bolsters but will make you feel secure while riding. My two b****es here are the rear seats will rattle a little without a little attention and leg room is good but tight on the sides. Doors tailgate and everything function flawlessly and no rattles.
Roof is bad ass! It's dual layer for cold weather and and sound deadening plus front and rear drip rails. This thing is QUIET! Much more so then any Sxs I've ever seen and smooth there is no vibration while running.
Tires are crap, suspension seems good but hard to tell with two sway bars, a-arms are about the same as pk1,under hood snorkel, all and all just slightly a different rig in same class as the Honda. Full steel skids but would suggest extra protection. Has massive sloped hood for good unobstructed view and a pretty good overall feel from driver seat. The rear of the machine is slightly wider with the flairs and over sits the tires from both sides so that's something I definitely don't appreciate as I feel we'd be be hard on those plastics.
Will report back after we're allowed to beat in it some:)

IMG 0925

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Swung by the local Yamaha store today and checked this out. Didn't drive it.

Like the 2 seater, it is smaller in person than it "looks" on paper.
20171013 1514551

I do like the very short nose. And the 300. The toyota, not so much.

Also seems slightly smaller than a Teryx. Nice machine. I had to tilt up the wheel to keep my belly from hitting the wheel when getting out (I am a bit of a lard ass).

The biggest surprise to me was the side-to-side legroom...or should I say lack of leg room in the rear. Not nearly as much as a 700 Pioneer. I don't think many adults will be racking up 100 mile days back there.

20171013 1513291
20171013 1541571

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got some good drive time in one, about an hour total, at a demo and got some good footage. In the process of editing it now and will have a vid thrown together on the X4 latter this week. I'll shoot for Tuesday but if not Thursday for sure.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!