BOX1

P1000 Is the 1000 Really that Bad?

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 2017 1000-5 EPS a month ago. Because of waiting on getting all the "updates" done, I only have ridden it once. Updates being heat, clutch and water in ingestion.
I've been reading all the posts on this machine and now have 2nd thoughts about my purchase. Most recently I read about the vent kit. Really, are people having water get in the fuel and tranny from the garden hose? Is this SXS that bad? I bought Honda for their alleged dependability and reliability?
Looking forward to any feedback.

Reactions: Isaiah
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like anything else, 5% of the owners are having 95% of the issues. Some like to push limits, which is fine because they know the risks. Most of us just putt around regular and never have an issue. There are definitely some issues that were not well thought out, like putting vent hoses inside a square tube frame that collects water. Upgrade the obvious and your P1K will have a long prosperous life. It's a really great machine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I bought another after having a couple problems so that shows what I think.
First one was the dreaded water issue but that’s been fixed and is even better with snorkel. Was a truly solid machine!!!
Second was plaged with clutch issues from day one. There is a very small percentage of these.
Honda was proactive about the clutch issues and has come out with an update I think will help.
Third is great so far. Bought another based off my love for the first one. I’ve had as many issues as anyone and I’m happily back at it.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Since you had the updates done, get out there and ride.

I have a 16 and with the updates it's just an amazing machine.
My brand new one is also a 16 but has yet to have any updates. Snorkel of course and waiting for clutch update still.
I agree though it’s an amazing machine

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My brand new one is also a 16 but has yet to have any updates. Snorkel of course and waiting for clutch update still.
I agree though it’s an amazing machine

I only noticed a slight difference once I had the clutch update done. When I first got my rig, it was quite jumpy on take-off and when it shifted sometimes. As it began to break in it got smoother. After the first oil change it was even better and once I had the 600 mile change it was so much smoother. I love my Pioneer and all that I do know is drive and smile a lot!

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like anything else, 5% of the owners are having 95% of the issues. Some like to push limits, which is fine because they know the risks. Most of us just putt around regular and never have an issue. There are definitely some issues that were not well thought out, like putting vent hoses inside a square tube frame that collects water. Upgrade the obvious and your P1K will have a long prosperous life. It's a really great machine.
Did you put the vent line kit on?

Yankee

Yankee

Apr 29, 2016
Tennessee
Mine is a 16 and have had none of the factory upgrades done to it so far. I will have the warranty clutch upgrade and heat upgrade done after this weekend at some point in time... But my machine has caught hell here and there with no issues other than me being too hard on it. She's a good girl lol

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got 12,968 miles on mine. Had to replace the shift cable and one exhaust mount rubber at 11,777 miles. The Honda quality is amazing. All my belt drive models had major problems. The belt drive models work well but plan on spending a lot of money on repairs to get to 10,000 miles.

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got 12,968 miles on mine. Had to replace the shift cable and one exhaust mount rubber at 11,777 miles. The Honda quality is amazing. All my belt drive models had major problems. The belt drive models work well but plan on spending a lot of money on repairs to get to 10,000 miles.
Did you do the vent kit on yours?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I installed the intake kit and then had the clutch kit installed at about 11,000 miles. I installed a fan under the seat but don't need it very often.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The vent kit is a good idea if it’s NOT garage kept. If you even occasionally ride in what could possibly be more water depth than you were expecting.

If you ride rocky trails, desert, and keep it in a garage you don’t need the vent kit.

It’s insurance. Just like insurance you hope to never need it and 99% of the time you don’t use it.

But it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
no problems with mine only added a snorkel and vent kit

FB IMG 1524313201294

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought my 2017 1000-5 EPS a month ago. Because of waiting on getting all the "updates" done, I only have ridden it once. Updates being heat, clutch and water in ingestion.
I've been reading all the posts on this machine and now have 2nd thoughts about my purchase. Most recently I read about the vent kit. Really, are people having water get in the fuel and tranny from the garden hose? Is this SXS that bad? I bought Honda for their alleged dependability and reliability?
Looking forward to any feedback.

I had loose connections on ground wires and low oil in transfer case. So much for dealer prep. Have had heat and clutch update done at 22 miles. Driving great. Reliable as day is long! And wife loves it. Added winch, dual batteries, and heater. So far I think I've got a winner. Neighbor bought a Polaris General. Has lived in shop with leaks, blown clutch and bent tie rod. And she drives like the old lady she is. (81). Have been trail riding with her on same trails, so why I have no issues and hers is shop bound just assures me I made the better selection.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Door rattles, front end alignment way off from new, water in fuel tank and sub-trans from sitting overnight in a thunderstorm, poor quality welds on the frame...I’ve been repairing this machine to much for buying it brand new and taking good care of it. I had higher expectations from Honda.

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Door rattles, front end alignment way off from new, water in fuel tank and sub-trans from sitting overnight in a thunderstorm, poor quality welds on the frame...I’ve been repairing this machine to much for buying it brand new and taking good care of it. I had higher expectations from Honda.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!