P1000 Is the 1000 Really that Bad?

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sold mine. What a pile these things are. $17000 and don't dare wash it because water might get into tranny or engine?? At the repair shop constantly for "updates". Talked with several dealers that are frustrated with these things and how Honda treats them and the consumer. One dealer said he would buy a CFMOTO over the Honda. I spoke with American Honda. What terrible customer service. I thought about buying the new Goldwing. No way would I now with the terrible experience I had with the Pioneer and Honda. Too bad. I drove Honda ATVs for ever and several Goldwings. I'm done and would never recommend anyone to buy a Pioneer unless they get their stuff back in order.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
WOW!!!!!!

You actually found some sucker to buy it?????? Who in their right mind would ever buy one of those pure, pieces of crap? Glad that you were able to find a loser to come along and take it off your hands.

Now I'm sure that you and all of the rest of your imaginary friends will be able to have a lot more fun!!!!!

Yankee

Yankee

Apr 29, 2016
Tennessee
Screenshot 20180626 200625

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is the quality control just as bad on Honda’s entire lineup or just the Pioneer?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol troll!
Nah... I don't think he's a troll. I do believe he was a disgruntled owner. I can relate to his frustration towards his machine. Some days I feel like driving mine off a cliff. But I think (and hope) I've gotten most of my problems ironed out (still gotta relocate my fuel and subtrans vent hoses). I won't fall victim to Stockholm Syndrome with my machine. When something is poorly designed or manufactured, I'm gonna put it out there. I really believe this site is a large part of the reason we got an updated clutch cover design, seat heat and dash heat fix and redesigned air intake. And of all of the Honda products I own, this one is the only one that doesn't feel like a Honda. Fan boys can hate and discredit all they want. I'm just keeping it real. Lately, my Honda and me have been getting along pretty well though.

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes there is a bunch of problems with the pioneer! Honda is fixing some of them. I bought a 2016 in May of 2017, at 80+ miles the transmission went out of it. Sent it to the Honda shop to get it fixed and told them to go ahead and do my 100 mile service while they had it. Now I got 133 miles on it and took it in for the heat and clutch improvement kit. Was told that the transmission o-ring was put in half in half out, and was leaking oil all over the bottom of my machine. Paid for another 100 mile service to make sure it was done right. Took the machine home and the 4 wheel drive indicator lite is not work now....

Reactions: 0860silverado
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nah... I don't think he's a troll. I do believe he was a disgruntled owner. I can relate to his frustration towards his machine. Some days I feel like driving mine off a cliff. But I think (and hope) I've gotten most of my problems ironed out (still gotta relocate my fuel and subtrans vent hoses). I won't fall victim to Stockholm Syndrome with my machine. When something is poorly designed or manufactured, I'm gonna put it out there. I really believe this site is a large part of the reason we got an updated clutch cover design, seat heat and dash heat fix and redesigned air intake. And of all of the Honda products I own, this one is the only one that doesn't feel like a Honda. Fan boys can hate and discredit all they want. I'm just keeping it real. Lately, my Honda and me have been getting along pretty well though.
I can relate buddy. Still love the Pioneer though even after doing r&d for Honda with mine. I really do love the machine, it’s a beast.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes there is a bunch of problems with the pioneer! Honda is fixing some of them. I bought a 2016 in May of 2017, at 80+ miles the transmission went out of it. Sent it to the Honda shop to get it fixed and told them to go ahead and do my 100 mile service while they had it. Now I got 133 miles on it and took it in for the heat and clutch improvement kit. Was told that the transmission o-ring was put in half in half out, and was leaking oil all over the bottom of my machine. Paid for another 100 mile service to make sure it was done right. Took the machine home and the 4 wheel drive indicator lite is not work now....
4WD indicator and driveline can be fussy on these. Cables are usually out of adjustment either from poor setup or new cables stretching into place or both. I've read on this site that it's an easy fix. Search "cable adjustment" on this site and you should find great info.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
4WD indicator and driveline can be fussy on these. Cables are usually out of adjustment either from poor setup or new cables stretching into place or both. I've read on this site that it's an easy fix. Search "cable adjustment" on this site and you should find great info.
Once I tightened up the lose nut behind the steering wheel every things seems fine!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I put 1900 miles on mine without a single issue. I never did anything except change the oil. I didn't even look at the air filter until 1200 miles...ooops. The machine was great. I had the clutch update and heat shield done at the same time. It was done in an afternoon. I've pulled more than I should, hauled more than I should, up and down hills steeper than I should, and it went flawlessly. Yea there's a few kinks to work out but its a great machine. None of them out there are perfect. Honda tried to do something no one else has by building a machine that is convertible from 3 to 5 seats. That comes with its own inherent set of issues. I think they pulled it off pretty well. It doesn't feel good to have to fix a few things on a $17,000 machine, but can tell you it feels a lot worse fixing things on a $50,000 pickup.... Nothing is perfect, do the best you can, and keep on keepin on.

N

Neilsjoshn

Aug 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought a pioneer 1000 5 le... now have 600 miles on it and can say I love the machine. I have had the can am defender hd10 and polaris Rangers, even the new 2018 ranger 1000xp. The pioneer is amazing the roll cage doesn’t squeak no belt to worry about wearing and the ride of it is way better then the other two. I added the brick city fab v2 rack and throttle max and can’t wait to put a lot more miles on this machine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I recently bought a pioneer 1000 5 le... now have 600 miles on it and can say I love the machine. I have had the can am defender hd10 and polaris Rangers, even the new 2018 ranger 1000xp. The pioneer is amazing the roll cage doesn’t squeak no belt to worry about wearing and the ride of it is way better then the other two. I added the brick city fab v2 rack and throttle max and can’t wait to put a lot more miles on this machine.
DA HA! Love mine too! Great rigs!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So how many miles are on yours since you use it every day?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So how many miles are on yours since you use it every day?
About to turn 5,000. And I gotta say, the more I work on it, the more I'm seeing what Honda did, and what they were trying to do. I just keep improving on their screw ups. Most of it is just poor quality control. In a nut shell... My Polaris Ranger was spectacular off the showroom floor but started showing a couple signs of fatigue at about 5,000 miles (clutches). My Honda was a money pit and a time pit just to keep it usable from the time it left the showroom floor until a month or so ago. Granted...mine is a first year model so I try to cut Honda some slack. My engine runs great with no oil consumption, tranny/clutch system works great and I didn't even have the clutch fix done yet! I do have faith in Honda's engine and engine management systems as designed. And I think the 6 speed trans has proven itself amongst other Honda models (after the clutch debacle). It's a love/hate relationship!!!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!