P1000 Is the 1000 Really that Bad?

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well me and my buddy are going to give Honda of Fairfield a try on the recall for the intake, and muffler heat shield this Saturday. Also they are suppose to work on my gear indicator and maybe get that fixed. Thanks for everyone who steers us to quality Honda dealers.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I can do a 5 seat clutch update in 45 minutes without taking the skid plate off. If I remove the skid plate (which I do only with stock plates, avoid mess) then make it a hour.

3 seat updates with skid plate removal in 45 minutes. Ive timed myself on several clutch updates. As long as you dont hit any road blocks (dirty engine, stripped allen heads in the floorboard, etc) then the flat time of 1.6 is cake to kill.

Anyone who takes 3 hours to do just the update (not taking installing clutches, just the cover and related parts) is taking way to damm long.

We never have a customer show up with a nice clean machine, always gotta pull the plastic off and pressure wash to keep from getting any crap where you don't want it. Sucks having to spend a good extra half an hour to wash one for free. If I try to add any additional time for washing I always get shut down by the management.
I always pull the skid plates so I don't end up with a big oil mess on them .

Reactions: BWAF and Bad_bowtie
H

HondaTech

We never have a customer show up with a nice clean machine, always gotta pull the plastic off and pressure wash to keep from getting any crap where you don't want it. Sucks having to spend a good extra half an hour to wash one for free. If I try to add any additional time for washing I always get shut down by the management.
I always pull the skid plates so I don't end up with a big oil mess on them .

I dont pressure wash s***, spray if off with brake cleaner in a ZEP can and blow gun. Just enough to get the clutch cover cleaned, if i pull out the pressure washer, you bet the customer is getting charged.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
One of my dealers in the past had a sign saying there was a $20 surcharge for dirty machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and BWAF
H

HondaTech

Well me and my buddy are going to give Honda of Fairfield a try on the recall for the intake, and muffler heat shield this Saturday. Also they are suppose to work on my gear indicator and maybe get that fixed. Thanks for everyone who steers us to quality Honda dealers.

I suppose you were the two 5 seaters this morning?

While I didnt work on them (busy rebuilding a XR650L) im glad you guys chose to do business with us. I hope your transaction was enjoyable, if theres anything we could do to make it better, be sure to drop us a line!!!

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda of Fairfield was great, fast and very friendly. My gear indicator now works. Also got the recall for the intake and exhaust heat shield done at the same time. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on another wind shield. Got the 2 piece, hard poly. Only thing I could wish for is for them to be closer.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I dropped my machine off for the clutch and heat update, it was on the night they are open late (8pm) on a Thursday. I had a call at 3:30pm Friday that it was ready to go and I picked it up first thing Saturday morning. And yes, they will charge you their regular labor rate to clean it if a machine is too dirty for them to work on...as they should. I for one will always clean my rig before it goes in for service...lessens the chance of dirt getting somewhere it shouldn't. I guess I am pretty lucky, I haven't had all the nightmare stories from my dealer like some, even though they piss me off sometimes...buts its always minor stuff that bugs me that I probably shouldn't be worried about. I only have about 2400 miles on mine now, but I sure like it and it starts, runs and drives like the day it was new, which is why I waited for Honda.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I brought in my machine for the update I had pulled the floorboard and pressure washed everything in the area very well prior so they could just get down to the job at hand. I knew they can charge for the wash but usually don’t but I wanted no issues and the mechanic “happy” to work on the machine with no delays.
When I’ve done clutches the muddy floorboard hex bolts are the worst part. When we got it back I used dielectric grease on all the plugs and swapped floorboard bolts to all 10mm heads. Makes it easier later, figured that out from our last rig

C

Chadwick1968

Oct 7, 2018
Angola la
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I bought my 2017 1000-5 EPS a month ago. Because of waiting on getting all the "updates" done, I only have ridden it once. Updates being heat, clutch and water in ingestion.
I've been reading all the posts on this machine and now have 2nd thoughts about my purchase. Most recently I read about the vent kit. Really, are people having water get in the fuel and tranny from the garden hose? Is this SXS that bad? I bought Honda for their alleged dependability and reliability?
Looking forward to any feedback.
I have a 2018. No issues Best Buy I’ve done

C

Chadwick1968

Oct 7, 2018
Angola la
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Actually it's not part of "set up" to pull the floorboard and see if the ground is tight. That's on the lazy asses on the assembly line that are just after collecting a paycheck.
I agree seems like a lot of issues come from assembling. Don’t have workers like we used to

Reactions: BWAF and Mopower58
VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lofar

Lofar

Feb 17, 2019
NV
youtu.be
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 2017 1000-5 EPS a month ago. Because of waiting on getting all the "updates" done, I only have ridden it once. Updates being heat, clutch and water in ingestion.
I've been reading all the posts on this machine and now have 2nd thoughts about my purchase. Most recently I read about the vent kit. Really, are people having water get in the fuel and tranny from the garden hose? Is this SXS that bad? I bought Honda for their alleged dependability and reliability?
Looking forward to any feedback.

I have been out four times now and not a single problem; mostly desert/rocky terrain. This thing will climb the steepest hills and go through some rough rocky terrain. Last ride I took the dog and she had a great time sitting up front with us. You do have to help steady her when turning or going over bumps. The only thing I am fustrated over is the lack of stock accerssories for the cost of the ride and the how hard it is to check fluids. The dang oil dipstick is in a tight space and the low/high reading is only about a millimeter apart. I am happy with the purchase.

Reactions: TripleB
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 P1K-3 and I love it. They can be a money pit if you let them.

Reactions: Isaiah
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In East Tennessee, the dealer will charge you to clean your machine before service. So just like all above, clean it up before you take it in.

Reactions: Isaiah
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
yep, seriously

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!