P1000 Is the 1000 Really that Bad?

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well guess what, another recall for the pioneer. The Honda shop has our machines more than we do. I guess I can get my shifting cables worked on at the same time. Just wish Honda would have tested this machine, like they used to test there old fourwheels.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well guess what, another recall for the pioneer. The Honda shop has our machines more than we do. I guess I can get my shifting cables worked on at the same time. Just wish Honda would have tested this machine, like they used to test there old fourwheels.
How much time has it really been in the shop? When I got the updates done on my 16' (clutch included) it was in and out the same day. When I did my first service on my 18' which includes valve adjustment, i dropped it off at 11am and it was done by 3pm the same day.

Anyone leaving their machine for more than a day is getting jerked around. Tell the dealer to get their s*** together or go somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much time has it really been in the shop? When I got the updates done on my 16' (clutch included) it was in and out the same day. When I did my first service on my 18' which includes valve adjustment, i dropped it off at 11am and it was done by 3pm the same day.

Anyone leaving their machine for more than a day is getting jerked around. Tell the dealer to get their s*** together or go somewhere else.

They had mine for a day and did every update available. Only took them a few hours.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I had mine in for the clutch update and all, since I had a 2 hour drive each way, I scheduled a first thing in the morning appointment (9:00) and was out the door at 12:15. Then since the tech messed up and pinched an O-ring (cost him his job) and it needed to go back, the dealer asked if I could wait till the weekend and he would come and get it and bring it back the following weekend.

So I guess that I could complain that they had my rig for an entire week BUT I'm happy that I didn't have to lose a day of work and glad that I have a great dealer.

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well when my machine had 83+ miles on it the transmission went out. Honda had it for 3 weeks (also requested my first service). Then went back to Honda at 133 miles to have the clutch, heat kit with my friend (Asked them to redo my first service since it was in the shop the first time). They had them for the entire day. The first Honda shop did not put the o-ring on the transmission filter right. Half in half out, said it was leaking oil all over the bottom of my motor. Also said I was missing a metal dowel rod out of my clutch cover. This shop said it fixed everything.Pulling my machine off the trailer, I see the gear indicator does nor change. No 4 wheel, or 2 wheel, or truff mode. Put this thing in my garage. Now with the new recall, about the intake maybe I can take it back in and get everything fixed! (yeah right).

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well when my machine had 83+ miles on it the transmission went out. Honda had it for 3 weeks (also requested my first service). Then went back to Honda at 133 miles to have the clutch, heat kit with my friend (Asked them to redo my first service since it was in the shop the first time). They had them for the entire day. The first Honda shop did not put the o-ring on the transmission filter right. Half in half out, said it was leaking oil all over the bottom of my motor. Also said I was missing a metal dowel rod out of my clutch cover. This shop said it fixed everything.Pulling my machine off the trailer, I see the gear indicator does nor change. No 4 wheel, or 2 wheel, or truff mode. Put this thing in my garage. Now with the new recall, about the intake maybe I can take it back in and get everything fixed! (yeah right).

Sorry to hear you've had a run of bad luck. Were those Honda dealers or multi line dealers. Maybe @Neohio could help you find a better place to go. I've never had a machine in the shop for more than half a day. That's including updates and the 1st service.

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear you've had a run of bad luck. Were those Honda dealers or multi line dealers. Maybe @Neohio could help you find a better place to go. I've never had a machine in the shop for more than half a day. That's including updates and the 1st service.

I am not much help on dealers either. Mine wants my machine for upwards of 3 weeks to do all the campaigns. I am not willing to be without it for that long.
I have heard good things about Just For Fun in Middlefield. I have good dealings with Off-Road Express in Erie PA as well, but have not used their service department to vouch for them.

If you weren't 4 hours from me, I would offer my garage to get it sorted quickly. The adjustments are easy, the dowel rod issue etc, I'm sure we could order parts and figure it out. Taking engines apart does not bother me at all.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am not much help on dealers either. Mine wants my machine for upwards of 3 weeks to do all the campaigns. I am not willing to be without it for that long.
I have heard good things about Just For Fun in Middlefield. I have good dealings with Off-Road Express in Erie PA as well, but have not used their service department to vouch for them.

If you weren't 4 hours from me, I would offer my garage to get it sorted quickly. The adjustments are easy, the dowel rod issue etc, I'm sure we could order parts and figure it out. Taking engines apart does not bother me at all.
That's crazy! Theres no reason for a dealer to have a machine for 3 weeks. Absolutely f***ing nuts!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's crazy! Theres no reason for a dealer to have a machine for 3 weeks. Absolutely f***ing nuts!

I might pull a Kilo and install the campaign myself.
I don't care about the exhaust or heat shield. I would like the clutches done eventually, but not bad enough to let them have it 3 weeks.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The dealer where I purchased the machine in Spokane, Wa, did the first service, the recal, and installed my warn winch. I showed up at about 11:30 in the morning, and loaded up and headed home at about 5:45 that same day.

As far as problems go.. EVERY machine has their own issues. Many of them have worse heat than the Pioneer. No machine is perfect.

With the help of the cool folks on this forum, it's easy to determine what you need to do to rectify the issues. I can't say enough about how much help y'all have been!

I've only had mine for just short of 3 months/180 miles, but I love this thing!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Reach out to @HondaTech He has recently relocated to a new Honda dealer. I think he is in the Cinci area, might be worth the drive to have a knowledgeable tech work on your equipment.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I might pull a Kilo and install the campaign myself.
I don't care about the exhaust or heat shield. I would like the clutches done eventually, but not bad enough to let them have it 3 weeks.

I certainly can help if you do :)

H

HondaTech

Right now we are doing all campaign/recalls by appointment or drop off. If you schedule it for a certain day, itll be done that day. But we were 1&1/2 to 2 weeks out on appointments this summer. If you were to doo everything in 1 shot (heat, clutch, muffler and throttle body) It shouldnt take a good guy any longer than 2 hours, hell it only pays 3 hours for all 4.

At the moment I dont believe Honda is being picky about parts, everything is open order and available. We do have to take a picture of the muffler recall after it's done, apparently some of them weren't getting the original shield installed back with the new parts.

H

HondaTech

Reach out to @HondaTech He has recently relocated to a new Honda dealer. I think he is in the Cinci area, might be worth the drive to have a knowledgeable tech work on your equipment.

Bring it on, we've slowed down a wee bit, we'll take all the work we can.

Just give Honda of Fairfield a shout!!!

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Right now we are doing all campaign/recalls by appointment or drop off. If you schedule it for a certain day, itll be done that day. But we were 1&1/2 to 2 weeks out on appointments this summer. If you were to doo everything in 1 shot (heat, clutch, muffler and throttle body) It shouldnt take a good guy any longer than 2 hours, hell it only pays 3 hours for all 4.

At the moment I dont believe Honda is being picky about parts, everything is open order and available. We do have to take a picture of the muffler recall after it's done, apparently some of them weren't getting the original shield installed back with the new parts.

Only 2 hours to do all 4 ? I'd like to meet that tech

Reactions: BWAF and DG Rider
H

HondaTech

I'd like to know as well. I thought somebody said just the clutch update was like 3 hrs?

I can do a 5 seat clutch update in 45 minutes without taking the skid plate off. If I remove the skid plate (which I do only with stock plates, avoid mess) then make it a hour.

3 seat updates with skid plate removal in 45 minutes. Ive timed myself on several clutch updates. As long as you dont hit any road blocks (dirty engine, stripped allen heads in the floorboard, etc) then the flat time of 1.6 is cake to kill.

Anyone who takes 3 hours to do just the update (not taking installing clutches, just the cover and related parts) is taking way to damm long.

H

HondaTech

Only 2 hours to do all 4 ? I'd like to meet that tech

Your already taking to him. :)

While I've never timed myself or pushed myself to do all 4 as quick as possible. I'm sure that I could do all of them in under the flat time of 3 hours. If I was trying to impress 2 hours should be no problem.

3 of them overlap (clutch, TB, and seat heat) they all require removing parts that aid in completeing the other 2. So if you stripped everything first then everything is laid out in front of you and simple to get to.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can do a 5 seat clutch update in 45 minutes without taking the skid plate off. If I remove the skid plate (which I do only with stock plates, avoid mess) then make it a hour.

3 seat updates with skid plate removal in 45 minutes. Ive timed myself on several clutch updates. As long as you dont hit any road blocks (dirty engine, stripped allen heads in the floorboard, etc) then the flat time of 1.6 is cake to kill.

Anyone who takes 3 hours to do just the update (not taking installing clutches, just the cover and related parts) is taking way to damm long.
OK...i thought Honda paid 3 hrs to do it. Must have been thinking about something else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!