P700 Dual battery for a winch?

jmanAZ

jmanAZ

Jan 14, 2020
tucson
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a p700-4 with a few accessories (LED cubes and stereo,no amp, ) already wired up and running. My question is I'm thinking about getting a winch tomorrow, but do I need a dual battery? I understand with 1 battery I would need to run the winch with the machine on,but it shouldn't damage the battery, correct? The second battery would just allow me to run accessories and the winch with the machine off and not drain the primary.

thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Correct.
Unless you are part of the 5-30 club and need lots of key-off power then there is no need for a second battery.

Reactions: Backwoods
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I fear I will regret asking but....what is the "5-30" club? I have heard of and been a participant in the 5:30 group that at times lasted until midnight and needed a cab to get home.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a feeling it might have something to do with spirits. Now that I've advanced in age I might want to join the "30-5" club and make mine a lite. Awhile ago, I went from 215 lbs to my old fighting weight of 170...feeling much better and I can get on and off motorcycles much easier and if I have a choice I don't fight anymore.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think the general consensus is the $200 4000lb superwinch is a good value.
I found one for $179 shipped on amazon.

The KFI mount was recommended to me but after installing it I'm not sure I would choose it again. Very easy to install but it totally blocks the view of the spool.
PXL 20201128 204103589

Reactions: JLEAVER
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Super winch is pretty too. I bought the generic winch mount from Amazon that is allegedly made for the 700 and I bet the Superwinch will fit fine. A long shore man years ago told me the right answer on winch power is twice the gross weight of the machine you want to pull and that has pretty much been accurate in my use anyway.

Thanks Slack!

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think you're better off doing one automotive battery under the driver's seat, no matter how you slice it 2 powersport batteries just aren't going to have the same reserve capacity as even 1 small automotive battery

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think you're better off doing one automotive battery under the driver's seat, no matter how you slice it 2 powersport batteries just aren't going to have the same reserve capacity as even 1 small automotive battery
But with two you have a back up battery?

Reactions: Mudwing
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I went for the 4500 lb Champion with synthetic rope and smooth fairlead for under $200. 12'/min no load recovery was nice too. Couldn't find the loaded amp rating but I'm thinking a new dual battery set up or maybe just add a bigger battery for winch, lights and accessory stuff.

Not too worried too much about weight so a small deep cycle might do the trick.

lwhite571

lwhite571

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2016
Central, IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have a deep cycle battery in the back that run's the winch and the extra lights and my radio. The only thing bad is I've got to charge it now and then.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
While I'm thinking of it, will the True SBI-18 Isolator provide what I need for a small deep cycle...say a group 27DC? Or is the "18" what it is designed to handle?

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
A short visit to the True site disclosed that the Smart Battery Isolator (SBI) designed to service UTV/SXS will handle 140 amps continous at 12 volts without regard to battery size (apparently but doesn't specifically say that) so it should handle the little Honda stock battery as well as a group 27 deep cycle. Although, the Honda 700 output would not quickly recharge a depleted battery of that size.

From a practical standpoint, most of the time I'm not going to be camping for more than a couple nights in one spot anyway and the group 24 would easily run LED camp lights and whatever without recharging to any great degree and the next day travel would recharge both batts anyway. Looks like a Gp 24 under the driver's seat suspended from the crossmember with ground to the frame and 5' of #2 copper wire should solved the problem. I suppose it would be nice to have a voltmeter on the dash for each battery and I need a "key on" wire from under the dash too...and then winch wire to that battery too. Seems simple enough.

Reactions: TBonta
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Champion 4500 arrived yesterday and appears to be a quality product and simple to install. I pulled the steel cable off the spool and ready to rewind with 50' of Amsteel 7700 lb rated rope. I've done this on my other winches and I can highly recommend it over using steel cable. I do coil the steel cable and put another loop on the end so I can carry it as an extra cable if I need to winch at a point farther than the rope will reach. Once coiled tightly a couple wire ties secures it. I did find a stray piece of 12K pound rope about 30' long that will also go with the 700 so I'll have lots of extra winching cable. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, just thought I'd mention it.

The winch came with "handle bar" in/out switch made for ATV use. Not having anything in the 700 to mount it on I guess I will cut a hole in the dash somewhere and mount the switch. It has a remote control and I usually use that on my other winches 'cuz I like to be outside so I can watch what's happening better than from behind the steering wheel.

I'm waiting for the mounting plate to do the install and I'll probably have the Group 24 battery installed by then and I would post pictures if I could figure out how to post from an (AppleI phone)...I suppose it's not hard I just haven't stumbled upon the secret yet.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mounting plates is in and fits very nicely and the winch fits just as it should. #1 son was off for 2 days and is TIGing the alum box so no battery yet but did get electrical cables to connect True unit to batteries. New wheels came in and the Terrabites are bolted up and look as they should. I tried to sell the Honda stock tires and no takers. Put the fabric back on and it has some holes to allow air it, but it's still the big holes on each side that will be an issue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!