Dual Battery Install with TRUE Isolator

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the idea of going under the drivers seat for a second battery location. That really opens some room under the hood to make a neat install of the Bussmann fuse / relay panel I've purchased... (I've been pondering how I wanted to mount that) Now I'm thinking and that is never safe for my wallet! The isolator could stay under the hood and just run the cables, it's really not that far on this compact machine. I've already purchased and installed the Odyssey PC925L and have it installed in the traditional location. Don't think I need more battery than that at this time, but under the seat sure allows for larger if need be.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I really like the idea of going under the drivers seat for a second battery location. That really opens some room under the hood to make a neat install of the Bussmann fuse / relay panel I've purchased... (I've been pondering how I wanted to mount that) Now I'm thinking and that is never safe for my wallet! The isolator could stay under the hood and just run the cables, it's really not that far on this compact machine. I've already purchased and installed the Odyssey PC925L and have it installed in the traditional location. Don't think I need more battery than that at this time, but under the seat sure allows for larger if need be.
Under seat is a great option for many and you can go with any battery. For some that's used for storage and myself that's a goldmine for a bass speaker lol

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's what I needed to know!!!
Well there are many ways but we'll use our rig for campsite fun,lighting for getting wood or fixing something while vehicle is off so for our application this is the best route but this wasn't our first rig so I've already weeded out most of the mistakes. Just on the Pioneer platform alone I've done 3 huge builds in just over a year and we're a high usage type but for many this setup may be overkill but it does not fail which is important. The only problem still becomes alternator laying down only so much power.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never considered under the seat for the second battery, thinking way too much "in the box"... Under consideration for sure at this point.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I never considered under the seat for the second battery, thinking way too much "in the box"... Under consideration for sure at this point.
If done right you could still make room for some goodies

Reactions: sharp and Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If done right you could still make room for some goodies
I totally agree with that... I would probably build a box for the battery to be housed in and secure that with a cover. That would still leave room to pack other stuff in there. I was thinking about a waterproof container and some basic first aid supplies.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the cable and related connectors to move the battery under the drivers seat and hope to have it done at some point next week. I've been going back and forth with a few different locations for the Bussmann fuse / relay panel and now a great spot with easy access will be available. SWEET!!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Versus doing the dual battery setup?? Or using the deep cycle as the second battery?
Mine is a dual battery with the blue seas add a battery kit works great for me and has never let me down! Here is a picture of my Yellowtop under the drivers seat...
IMG 3892

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is a dual battery with the blue seas add a battery kit works great for me and has never let me down! Here is a picture of my Yellowtop under the drivers seat...
View attachment 25243
I've got a dual battery and isolator under the hood already, going to leave the isolator under there but move the battery. I've got an Odyssey PC925L that brand new and I will just move it. Not 100% sure on securing it at this point, but have a few ideas.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

I've got a dual battery and isolator under the hood already, going to leave the isolator under there but move the battery. I've got an Odyssey PC925L that brand new and I will just move it. Not 100% sure on securing it at this point, but have a few ideas.
I'm thinking of adding something like this under the seat.. and then putting a battery box in it storage/battery

IMG 0884

Reactions: Tigermark
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm thinking of adding something like this under the seat.. and then putting a battery box in it storage/battery

View attachment 25250

That's a stout storage container jtw! Do you have a link to it I'd like to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Tigermark
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 25250
Nice storage box!

I was thinking of way more primitive for a container or not doing a container at all and just strap it down good and cover the terminals. It's a dry cell battery so I don't have to be concerned with acid spillage.

Reactions: JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got started tonight with the battery relocation and got the cables pulled and strapped down. I was surprised that it took almost 10' of cable, didn't expect it to be that much. The battery is going to work well under the seat and I think I can strap it down with some of the huge cable ties combined with some dense foam and perhaps two sided tape as well. Hope to finish it off tomorrow night. Now I have a prefect spot for the Bussmann fuse / relay panel!

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So instead of running the aux ground to frame can't you run it over the ground on the main battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok that means that may not be the best practice. I just hate breaking loose factory grounds and also drilling in new grounds. These things are all plastic. LOL

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok that means that may not be the best practice. I just hate breaking loose factory grounds and also drilling in new grounds. These things are all plastic. LOL
I ran a cable for the ground. I dont like using the frame as a conductor to carry current.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I noticed, as JTW said some are running aux ground to main ground. Did anyone ever call the designer and find out if this is what keeps the blue light on all the time? Hooked mine up and the light has stayed on for an hour. That in mind I took the battery out of the box and hooked it up without trickle charging it first.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!