P1000 Dual battery

J

jjsam

Dec 22, 2020
iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
was wondering if you use a lithium battery and agm battery which one should you use as main battery. True am recommends agm as main and lithium as second battery.

Reactions: TxDoc and ChadD
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
was wondering if you use a lithium battery and agm battery which one should you use as main battery. True am recommends agm as main and lithium as second battery.
I wonder why they recommend that.

I chose lithium as the primary choice because many winch manufacturers do not recommend a lithium battery.
Therefore, I wanted my winch to be on the nonlithium, so the lithim became the primary.
I chose the ATX12. I have the 20 in my Talon.

WARNING - Make sure you get the lithium version of the isolator, or you will kill both batteries.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan

First post since joining 4yrs ago👏🏻
All good.
Tell us, what Rig do you have?

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and ChadD
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What @Hondasxs warned. ☝️☝️☝️☝️
Mixing lithium and agm needs special treatment.
Best.

Reactions: ChadD
J

jjsam

Dec 22, 2020
iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 1000 5D. I questioned using lithium for winch, said his setup was using lithium for winch with no problems. What special treatment would I need??

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You will need to research it as I don't know enough to say.
But I read the discharge rate is not sufficient for winching from a Lithium.
Meaning even though it has the power to winch, it can't push enough current to the winch for optimal pull.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Using the LiFePO4 for Aux makes a lot of sense for the following reasons. The lithium battery has much lower internal resistance than the Pb battery (that's lead), so it can belt out the high current the winch needs for a significant period. The lithium can alos be discharged almost completely with no damage, (though it should not be left discharged, of course), while the lead-acid should generally not be discharged below 50%. This makes the lithium battery particularly appealing for Aux use.

The starter (lead acid) battery should be rated in CCA (cold cranking amps), it will have thin plates to get more plate area, this allows fro the high current needed to crank the engine. This battery is NOT well suited for deep discharge, it's not made for that. A lead acid that IS made for that would not be rated in CCA, but rather in amp-hour capacity, like a lead acid battery sold for running an electric trolling motoer etc. This Pb battery will have much thicker plates and fewer off them, for the same physical size - this allows the battery to be deeply discharged with less damage (though still not as good as that lithium battery.

Note that a Lithium battery and lead acid require a special version of the Tur isolator, as the batteries require different treatment to be "happy" due to differences in charging voltage, fully charged voltage, internal resistance etc.

In the above, I've used the term lithium. What I'm really referring to is a lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4), as that chemistry allows the lithium battery to be much safer that the lithium-ion battery. Much less likely to cause a fire, with a bit less performance than the lithium-ion type.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Using the LiFePO4 for Aux makes a lot of sense for the following reasons. The lithium battery has much lower internal resistance than the Pb battery (that's lead), so it can belt out the high current the winch needs for a significant period. The lithium can alos be discharged almost completely with no damage, (though it should not be left discharged, of course), while the lead-acid should generally not be discharged below 50%. This makes the lithium battery particularly appealing for Aux use.

The starter (lead acid) battery should be rated in CCA (cold cranking amps), it will have thin plates to get more plate area, this allows fro the high current needed to crank the engine. This battery is NOT well suited for deep discharge, it's not made for that. A lead acid that IS made for that would not be rated in CCA, but rather in amp-hour capacity, like a lead acid battery sold for running an electric trolling motoer etc. This Pb battery will have much thicker plates and fewer off them, for the same physical size - this allows the battery to be deeply discharged with less damage (though still not as good as that lithium battery.

Note that a Lithium battery and lead acid require a special version of the Tur isolator, as the batteries require different treatment to be "happy" due to differences in charging voltage, fully charged voltage, internal resistance etc.

In the above, I've used the term lithium. What I'm really referring to is a lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4), as that chemistry allows the lithium battery to be much safer that the lithium-ion battery. Much less likely to cause a fire, with a bit less performance than the lithium-ion type.
My thoughts exactly. Been using lithium batteries in a lot of different applications for almost 20 years. I would use the LiFePO4 for the aux battery. You are correct it is different than the standard LIPO.I think people see lithium and think they are all the same

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run AGM’s for both. 5 years so far and no starting problems even with 6 weeks between rides a few times.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!