P500 Duel battery & power stering?

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
Right now I have duel battery set up.One in regular location & one under hood.wanting to add power steering but battery in the way. Should I put a regular battery under seat and do away with the 2 or what would you guys do? Thanks for any info on my delima.

Reactions: 100Acre
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Question, can stock alternator handle current draw during charging recovery for a single larger CCA battery? Maxed out for extended time, stator overheating? Maybe the more mechanical/technical members can chime in. Interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: nctrailboss
M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
Question, can stock alternator handle current draw during charging recovery for a single larger CCA battery? Maxed out for extended time? Maybe the more mechanical/technical members can chime in. Interested.
Me too thanks Mudder

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger did you do away with the regular battery?

No, it's still there. There's a lot of room under the seat, you probably could fit a car battery in there. I just found it cheaper and easier to wire another small battery in parallel. Haven't done the math, I'm not the mechanical/technical member, but it definitely resulted in a bigger bank of power. Batteries are wired to a circuit breaker that feeds a bus bar that all accessories are wired to except winch, that has its own CB.

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
No, it's still there. There's a lot of room under the seat, you probably could fit a car battery in there. I just found it cheaper and easier to wire another small battery in parallel. Haven't done the math, I'm not the mechanical/technical member, but it definitely resulted in a bigger bank of power. Batteries are wired to a circuit breaker that feeds a bus bar that all accessories are wired to except winch, that has its own CB.
Pulled the trigger and order the power steering from Rocky Mtn.ATV

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Just installed the Tusk unit on mine last week,works great.I ended up using grade 8 1/4 inch bolts with nuts to pinch the lower joints to the shafts.This allowed more wiggle room for everything to fit better.The bottom set of joints does not slide and could stand to be maybe 1/2 shorter.The 1/4 inch bolts allow for a little up and down motion on the shafts to get everything in place,yet do just fine pinching the joints tight when it all falls into place.This will make sense when you start your install.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I kinda like the two battery system, if one goes bad, use the other one to get back. But used to Bass fish tournaments, fished a lot , actually too much. Used a hydromicromometer to measure cell life, had one battery last ten years, the rest at least five years, kept all of them full of pure water, charged even time I came in. The biggest issue I had was with my motor battery.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Question, can stock alternator handle current draw during charging recovery for a single larger CCA battery? Maxed out for extended time? Maybe the more mechanical/technical members can chime in. Interested.
Our charging output is 40 amps[.481kw].Stock headlight draw about 5amps.the power steering motor is rated 220 watts under full load,so 10 to 15 amps in normal use.That leaves 20 amps to use before dipping into battery reserve power.[keep in mind that the 40amp output would be at higher rpm].Using a winch in light,short bursts at night, plowing snow, may drain the stock battery if worked long enough.A tough pull with the winch will quickly get you into the battery reserves,this is where a volt meter in the dash would be helpful.I think if you ration power when winching,the stock set-up will get by,but having the extra battery is a big plus.If the fan comes on,even more amps are pulled.I think it is pretty impressive that these little motors have a 40amp output.Even full size trucks working a 10,000lb winch at night,in the cold rain[wipers,heater,lights,ect.]can get in trouble.Everyone confused yet?I am.LoL

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Our charging output is 40 amps[.481kw].Stock headlight draw about 5amps.the power steering motor is rated 220 watts under full load,so 10 to 15 amps in normal use.That leaves 20 amps to use before dipping into battery reserve power.[keep in mind that the 40amp output would be at higher rpm].Using a winch in light,short bursts at night, plowing snow, may drain the stock battery if worked long enough.A tough pull with the winch will quickly get you into the battery reserves,this is where a volt meter in the dash would be helpful.I think if you ration power when winching,the stock set-up will get by,but having the extra battery is a big plus.If the fan comes on,even more amps are pulled.I think it is pretty impressive that these little motors have a 40amp output.Even full size trucks working a 10,000lb winch at night,in the cold rain[wipers,heater,lights,ect.]can get in trouble.Everyone confused yet?I am.LoL
Makes perfect since, get a back up, HA!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
40 amp output at 5000 rpm. Guessing power steering is much less current draw at easy turns when rolling. With bigger battery reserve, still be aware of rated winch motor pull/cool down times. Those winch motors and wiring can get warm pulling 100-200+ amps under load. For new members that may find this thread, here is a wire guage chart and value of circuit breakers near battery output.

B4972B06 60A0 474B B8D4 EBE980C65195

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!