Dusty Ride

D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
Bought my 500 back in Sept. and love it. Used it during deer season here in the Louisiana swamps and had no problems. I put a Superatv windshield on it which has worked well with one problem. My wife and I rode Sun. several miles down a gravel road and were completely covered in dust. It appears to be coming up into the cab from the bottom. Does anyone else have this problem? Does it have anything to do with the windshield?

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
Had the same problem,but i have the tilt out windshield so i opened it up a bit and helped out alot

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need a mid panel, the air creates a high pressure area in front of the windshield and a low pressure area behind it. Air and everything it carries is pulled into that low pressure area behind the windshield. The mid panel breaks the airflow from behind the vehicle stopping a significant amount of the dust, but if your riding through it it will still get pulled in from the side some.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I have a back panel,it helps a little but still bad.The worst part is your air intake behind the drivers seat really sucks in dirty air. In the wintertime I don't tilt out my windshield and if the snow is fluffy it fills up the cab fast with snow.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@500oneer please allow me to name this "The snow globe affect!"

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the same problem you guys are describing ,I have the Honda 1/2 windshield .We ride dusty trails and are covered in dust at the end of the day. So last time out decided to run without it.We didn't get any dust on us at all, But got pelleted with bugs in our faces . My wife decided she would rather the dust then the bugs.So any sure solutions someone could come up with for dust control would be appreciated .This might sound crazy but would a wind deflecter on the back,top of the roll cage work? I'm afraid if I put on the back panel it might hold to much heat in the passenger compartment .

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If you look at the windshield on our Mule you will see the black vent in the center and two more on the top of the windshield (above the driver and passengers head) - if you pop them open it lets some air go through and really cuts down on the dust. Really nice design and a good idea. Cant see why you could not add something similar to another brands windshield.

IMG 0784

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
take a look at this which is basically how your windshield is behaving at speed.

The Air flows around it and creates turbulence and a low pressure area behind it. It pulls the dust in. You need something to break up the airflow/turbulance... i.e.:back panel.

OR a vent to allow airflow to the middle of the turbulence.

Also works on a 700-4 if you have the mid and back panels keeps the extreme dust off the back passengers.

advertisement
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't have a roof on my sxs would the fabric rear panel do the trick by its self ?

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have a roof on my sxs would the fabric rear panel do the trick by its self ?
It should help. With a full tilt out windshield if there are bugs and spiders they hit you in the chest instead of the face. If I am in tall grass I close the windshield so it doesn't fill up with bugs.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it would definitely help, test it out find a small tarp and start, zip tie, duck tape ...attach it to where the rear panel would be and see how much dust ends up on you. Theres going to be some, but it is a MAJOR reduction with the mid panel Roof and Windshield, If i slide the rear window open on my hard mid panel I am covered from that 12"x12" hole.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for your response guys.I'll have to rig something up for a test panel.Won't have to worry about dust this weekend, had 3 inches of rain today! Thanks again.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for your response guys.I'll have to rig something up for a test panel.Won't have to worry about dust this weekend, had 3 inches of rain today! Thanks again.

I love the rain, no dust, generally cooler and fewer people to clog up the trails.

Also (sometimes) easier to clean when you're done.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!