P1000 Dweber23tr's build

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since winter is fast approaching decided I wanted to make a few modifications to my snow plow. First was to add a pulley for the winch cable to make things easier on the winch. I found an old belt pulley laying around and drilled out the hole with a 5/8" reamer for the steel bushing(was an extra spacer that came with the plow) and even found a press in grease fitting that fit in the set screw hole just because why not-then it won't squeak. The plow originally came with bolts/spacers for the winch attach point and I didn't want to use wrenches to take the pulley on/off. So I found a 3/8th eye bolt laying around to use as a pin, and welded a washer to it and then drilled a hole for a cotter key.

20231111 130948 20231111 131200 20231111 131403 20231111 131936

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also was not happy with the lack of re-enforcement of the plow blade out near the edges. The metal is too thin to not have a spine on the back of it. I could see myself hitting a frozen snow pile or some other object left in the yard by my kids that was frozen and bend the crap out of the blade. The thickness of the blade is not even 1/8". It seems adequately supported on the middle near the "V" but on the outside not so much. So I made my own blade "stiffeners". I started by using 1/8" angle iron and originally planning on clamping it to the blade and using heat to bend it to match the contour of the blade, but that was not going to work. So after some quick google-fu found some examples of how to make your own bender for angle iron. I took a piece of I beam and cut some notches out in it with the cutting torch so that the angle iron would fit in the groove. Then I heated up the angle iron with my and kept hitting the angle iron until I was able to shape it to match the curvature of the blade. I drilled some mounting holes and brought it inside to put some paint on it. i am planning on bolting it to the blade with carriage bolts.

20231110 113123 20231110 111741 20231110 113143

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bolted the brackets to the plow today. In order to use carriage bolts I drilled the hole in the plow side the next size bigger not quite 3/4 of the way through, this allowed the square shoulder of the carriage bolt to make the hole square. I then made another set of small brackets to bolt to the lower frame and tie it all together. Much more solid now. For what it would have cost Moose to do this during manufacturing it's insane why they didn't.

20231113 125120 20231113 140950

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought a battery tender and got tired of taking the hood on and off everytime so I bought an optimate connector and mounted on my light bar mount. My phone was at an angle, it really is straight under the plow connector!

20231202 170345

Last edited:
Reactions: Robobrainiac
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added some preload to the fox shocks to get a little more clearance, kept hitting the plow mount on things in the woods. Forgot to take before/after pics but I ended up about 3/4" taller all the way around to start.

Also , decided today that I was going to move the factory winch main power cable over to the aux battery. Made up a new cable and in the process of hooking it up, nicked the brown center terminal on the winch relay/contact which caused a spark/short when it was touched by the new power cable(should have started with hooking up the contact end first) Now the winch does not work. I have bypassed the relay/contact and confirmed when the winch gets direct power it works in/out. I have confirmed the switch wiring works when tested with a multimeter. I found this thread which alludes to the brown terminal being internally grounded P1000 - 2023 1000-5 Trail winch wiring , so I tried jumping that brown terminal to the main ground terminal on the relay and now the winch works. I also performed the same test as in that thread with checking for ground and it does not work. I am assuming when it shorted that fried something internally for the ground since everything else works. So I made a small jumper wire and installed so that at least for now the winch can work/be used until a new relay arrives. But my question/concern is since this clearly is bad is this any hazard to leave as is for the week or so until the new one arrives or should I just disconnect it and leave it disconnected until the replacement gets here. Don't want to come home and find my shed burned down...

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up disconnecting the winch relay/contact just to be safe. Of course the one I ordered-the seller sent the wrong one. So I have to try again. Went for a ride today after adjusting the preload and I was surprised at how differently it handled. Felt firmer, not sure if that is expected for how little I actually adjusted it?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ended up disconnecting the winch relay/contact just to be safe. Of course the one I ordered-the seller sent the wrong one. So I have to try again. Went for a ride today after adjusting the preload and I was surprised at how differently it handled. Felt firmer, not sure if that is expected for how little I actually adjusted it?
if you went up 3/4" all around, you made a BIG adjustment, feeling firmer is normal and expected

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you went up 3/4" all around, you made a BIG adjustment, feeling firmer is normal and expected
Is that too much for the factory stuff like cv's or is this purely just my own personal riding preferences at that height?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Is that too much for the factory stuff like cv's or is this purely just my own personal riding preferences at that height?
its a loaded question....not sure where you started at - lol

if you are 3/4" above stock ride height, I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't go anymore than that - I don't know stock ride height for pioneer anymore - I get why you did it - plow bracket takes away clearance

u can crank on the springy thinks and get whatever lift u want, bad for axles and then the ride gets firmer and less plush

over the years I have learned what not to do, I've done bracket lifts, springy things cranked on to get lift, etc......

my talon is sitting probably 1/2" above stock ride height simply because I had to to start from scratch with new springs and after the 3rd time taking the shocks off to adjust the preload, when it got a little too high, I said good enough, run it and springs will settle a little

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I'll just run it a bit and see how I like it. I think from the top of the lip of the shock to the top of the lock collar in the front the measurement was 1.25" and in the back 1" . Which put me about 3/4" above the way it came stock.

Reactions: DRZRon1 and toddvdh
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a rough couple of days. Had plans to go ice fishing finally and then discovered I measured wrong and everything wasn't going to fit on my 16 ft trailer. I was pretty sure it wouldn't fit in the bed of the pioneer but tried it anyways, and lo and behold it did. I used ramps to pull it up with the rear winch. Thought my problems were behind me. I got to the lake this morning and everything had sat out overnight and it was -7 when I got to the lake and found my stinger relay failed in the extreme cold. Cole hersee on order! Found some jumper cables in my truck and rigged them up so I could use the heater! Left the hood off until I got onto the lake. Caught 2 largemouth and 2 small pike. Then had something come in to my bait really quick and before I realized it, my pole was going down the hole. I reached in quick and went up to my shoulder down the hole but couldn't grab it.

20240118 154623 20240118 160901 20240118 162724 20240119 082116 20240119 130956

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like an eventful day!

You could rig one of these up on the pioneer and make the load super stable.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had a rough couple of days. Had plans to go ice fishing finally and then discovered I measured wrong and everything wasn't going to fit on my 16 ft trailer. I was pretty sure it wouldn't fit in the bed of the pioneer but tried it anyways, and lo and behold it did. I used ramps to pull it up with the rear winch. Thought my problems were behind me. I got to the lake this morning and everything had sat out overnight and it was -7 when I got to the lake and found my stinger relay failed in the extreme cold. Cole hersee on order! Found some jumper cables in my truck and rigged them up so I could use the heater! Left the hood off until I got onto the lake. Caught 2 largemouth and 2 small pike. Then had something come in to my bait really quick and before I realized it, my pole was going down the hole. I reached in quick and went up to my shoulder down the hole but couldn't grab it.

View attachment 415393 View attachment 415394 View attachment 415395 View attachment 415396 View attachment 415397
That LM has some pretty good color for being under ice. I fish out west and my deeper fish in winter and early spring are almost as white as a paper plate ....

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like an eventful day!

You could rig one of these up on the pioneer and make the load super stable.

Yes I may need to,my 12 y/o suggested the same thing actually. I'd rather have an 8x20 enclosed trailer though!

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the link to harbor freight @Robobrainiac , went to harbor freight today and picked one of the hitch extenders up. Not sure what kind of trucks it was made for, but not most modern trucks. The up/down height was about 10 inches too short and the overall length was 10 inches too long. So I cut 10 inches off the tongue side and welded it to the crossbar upright, drilled a new pin hole for the hitch and , within about 15 minutes was all done, minus painting the weld. For $60 it wasn't worth trying to make my own. Set the overall length so that I do not have to take my tool box out. This will be a much more stable and secure solution than what I had going on.

20240121 151133 20240121 153323 20240121 153337

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also found after I got back from the lake yesterday I was leaking coolant. Where the dealer spliced the lines for the Inferno heater, a couple of the hose clamps had come loose and I had lost enough coolant to where the overflow bottle was below the "low" mark. I had noticed it the other day on the floor also but the stinking coolant is blue, just like the windshield washer fluid and just assumed I spilled some when I filled that up the other day. So I tightened the hose clamps and ordered a quart of coolant. If it continues to leak it will go back to the dealer.

• Sad
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the link to harbor freight @Robobrainiac , went to harbor freight today and picked one of the hitch extenders up. Not sure what kind of trucks it was made for, but not most modern trucks. The up/down height was about 10 inches too short and the overall length was 10 inches too long. So I cut 10 inches off the tongue side and welded it to the crossbar upright, drilled a new pin hole for the hitch and , within about 15 minutes was all done, minus painting the weld. For $60 it wasn't worth trying to make my own. Set the overall length so that I do not have to take my tool box out. This will be a much more stable and secure solution than what I had going on.

View attachment 415624 View attachment 415625 View attachment 415627
Super Awesome!

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After many months of waiting somewhat patiently received the rad customs shifter covers today. Went on easy. Only problem was finding a drill bit small enough, 1/16. Looking forward to less dust, heat and cold through the shifters.

20240222 155623

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got enough snow to plow and my plow performed flawlessly minus the pulley I rigged up. The cable ended up coming off the pulley and got jacked up and twisted up. Had to rig up a normal snatch block to use instead. Will have to rethink that one to have something that will hold the cable on the pulley better. Don't think there is anything I can do to take the memory out of the cable so I'll probably have to cut it off.

20240326 170146 20240326 170149

• Sad
Reactions: NTCPrezJB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!