P1000m5 Electrical / battery issue plowing today

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
This is my first winter with the P1000-5 and am thrilled that I put a plow on last fall! It’s been getting a ton of use as we set record snowfall amounts this year.

Anyway, was plowing this morning and everything was working fine... after getting stuck and pulled out, the winch released (plow down) VERRRY slow. The machine also would quite when releasing the winch and sometimes struggled to go into gear. I’m running a dual battery system with an isolator and noticed the aux battery down at 11.9V (usually like 14).

Seems like an electrical issue, but not quite sure where to start looking. Any ideas?

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing. I charged both batteries and it was fine. I think I may have over-worked both batteries-main by shifting the tranny back and forth, aux with plow and led’s. Got mine last spring. Was jacked up to get to plow with the new set up. Very over it now...ready for some summer trail riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The machine will really struggle when voltage drops. It can really affect clutch function perhaps causing the issue going into gear. Ive also had my winch sct that way when the battery is low. Were any other accessories, lights, etc running at the time?

I would start by getting the voltage back up on both batteries and see if the issue persists.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing. I charged both batteries and it was fine. I think I may have over-worked both batteries-main by shifting the tranny back and forth, aux with plow and led’s. Got mine last spring. Was jacked up to get to plow with the new set up. Very over it now...ready for some summer trail riding.

Also check your battery connections and to see if you got snow under your hood. No matter what I’ve tried I can’t keep snow out of there. I’m starting to think it’s coming in from underneath because I Weather stripped the hood and put a flag on my blade to cut down on the snow spray.

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
Thanks guys... have both batteries on a charger now so we will see if they just got so low that the alternator couldn’t keep up.

Of course I had a light bar and radio running at the time. Why not!

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys... have both batteries on a charger now so we will see if they just got so low that the alternator couldn’t keep up.

Of course I had a light bar and radio running at the time. Why not!

I did the same dang thing. Heater going door open... When you get stuck you’re so pissed that common sense kind of goes out the window.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What make winch?
I had a Terrra45 get slow on me during plowing.
Found out the thermal switch was tripping. Got hot and would barely move the winch.
I threw a bunch of snow on it to cool it down. Then got it in the shop and removed it.

Reactions: 70Bones
minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
It’s a KFI 4500 lb winch. Still thinking voltage because DCT wasn’t working either and the voltage got so low that the rig wouldn’t stay running

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is running off stock battery?
Iso should have disconnected from main battery during voltage drop, protecting your Honda half from getting funky from low voltage.

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
Found the issue! After charging, things were still acting really funny and the snow was drifting in quickly outside. I ran through everything checking connections and, sure enough, the main battery negative lead was VERY loose.

Tightened up the terminal and everything is running perfectly!

Then promptly rescued the neighbor with a 300’ driveway covered in FOUR FEET of drifted in snow. That really put ‘er to work.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stinking loose nuts!

At least this time the one behind the wheel figured it out!

;););)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!