P1000 Electrical help

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I know this has been discussed many times but the more I read the more confused I get, I am electrically challenged but am trying to learn. I had a dealer add a dual battery to my P1K but I noticed they did not add the True isolator just the stinger and attached the winch to my secondary battery, is that ok? Also I will be adding a switch panel from PBR with 6 switches, usb, dual volt meter, and a 3" Boss radio receiver. I have a Blue Sea Fuse block to puck it into. My question is what's the best screws to hold the plate and I know I need to daisy chain the accessories but I am not sure how to hookup the the accessories to the fuse block. Can someone help me with a picture of layout easy for me to understand. Thanks

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you have a second battery but no isolator, then you have two batteries connected in parallel. While that will definitely be an improvement over a single battery, you're missing half the reason for that second battery: Isolate the load of all your accessories to one battery and ensure you don't run your primary battery down, If you run the AUX battery down, having a full primary battery means you can still start the machine and the DCT transmission will still operate properly to get you home.

Honestly, adding the isolator now would not be a big deal. I suggest you watch @RobSparre's video on dual battery install first - should provide all you need to know (you'll just be adding/moving a couple of cables and installing the isolator). There are links to his wiring diagrams on the YT feed, too.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Agree with Scoop. Would go the true isolator route. Club store has them too. I’m running the true and have added a stinger too.
If you live in colder climates where stuff freezes, avoid the Stinger and go with something like a marine grade Cole Hersee relay.

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you everyone for all the help. I drew this diagram and was hoping to get some input as if it's done correctly, I have not added the winch yet to this and also do I need a volt meter relay between my dual volt meter or not? Thanks.

Screenshot 2

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you everyone for all the help. I drew this diagram and was hoping to get some input as if it's done correctly, I have not added the winch yet to this and also do I need a volt meter relay between my dual volt meter or not? Thanks.

View attachment 310441

At first blush, looks reasonable. If using that 100 amp circuit breaker, it should go as close to the battery + as practicable on the feed side of the stinger relay. That way it is protecting wiring to stinger etc. (I didn't use a CB on my install.)

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you live in colder climates where stuff freezes, avoid the Stinger and go with something like a marine grade Cole Hersee relay.
Why colder climate problems with stinger

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Internal moisture will freeze up and it won't work.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!