P1000 Electrical issues

C

Chuck_MN

Jan 4, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1st time poster, owner of a Honda SxS. Long time Honda owner..

This winter my '16 P1k5 has had some strange things happening. It's been a darn cold winter so far here in MN. Sometimes the electric steering doesn't work upon start up, but then it eventually fixes itself and works again...maybe a day or so later.

The latest struggle is when I drive it in this cold and park it. When I go back a couple hours later I turn the key and there is nothing. No lights on the dash, no fuel pump...it's dead. I turn the key multiple times and eventually it comes back to life and it will start. Really frustrating in below zero temps. Sounds like a solenoid issue? Anyone seen this?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've seen the power steering issue. Once it gets to -12* I've had mine freeze up several times. Once it got warmed up, (0 in my shop) PS was back and just fine. Haven't had a key issue.

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I operate in similar -20F conditions also and have experienced the power steering issue but only very short lived after about 4 hours of sitting not running at the Fish house. A 10 minute warmup usually solves it. My neighbor had similar ignition problems with his Polaris and the locknut keeping the ignition switch tight to the panel was loose. Just tightening it up solved it. I'm fortunate to keep my P1000-5 in a heated garage at night. Keep it at 50 degrees.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I operate in similar -20F conditions also and have experienced the power steering issue but only very short lived after about 4 hours of sitting not running at the Fish house. A 10 minute warmup usually solves it. My neighbor had similar ignition problems with his Polaris and the locknut keeping the ignition switch tight to the panel was loose. Just tightening it up solved it. I'm fortunate to keep my P1000-5 in a heated garage at night. Keep it at 50 degrees.
Nice! ^
I've got got to work on that Heated garage.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I suspect you have an electric grounding problem causing the intermittent issues. There is 2 or 3 grounding straps, any one of them could be the culprit. Also may want to ensure your battery is fully charged. Low voltage causes all kinds of weird things to happen the power steering is one of the first to act wierd.

Reactions: swsebek
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2017 1000-3eps started having weird issues as soon as I got it home. Starting, shifting and quitting. Read the blogs for ideas. Found both battery cables loose, 2 of 3 ground wires loose, and one plug fell off. Not sure what it was, but put it back on and haven't had an issue since. This rig is as reliable as my Chevy truck! Don't just wiggle. Tighten every connection you can find with a tool, It's 10 minutes well spent. and $$$ free.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!