P1000 Electrical question - switching accessories to auxiliary battery.

G

Guyonacouch

May 21, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve just installed a dual battery set up. The previous owner installed a heater and windshield wiper that I would like to now run off of the auxiliary battery. It appears that the power for the accessories currently run from a fuse box into the main battery via a single positive cable with an in-line fuse and a ground wire running directly to the main battery. Is switching these accessories to the auxiliary battery as simple as just moving that positive and negative wire over to the auxiliary battery? I see there is a 3rd spliced wire coming out of that fuse box that is hooked up so these accessories only with with a key on. Wiring newbie here. Thanks.

Reactions: TxDoc
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is switching these accessories to the auxiliary battery as simple as just moving that positive and negative wire over to the auxiliary battery?
yes it should be
how is your dual battery setup installed? are the batteries totally separate? are they hooked together in a simple parallel arrangement or do you have an isolator?

I see there is a 3rd spliced wire coming out of that fuse box that is hooked up so these accessories only with with a key on. Wiring newbie here.
im not sure what you are describing here. post some pictures and we can figure it out im sure

Reactions: Guyonacouch
G

Guyonacouch

May 21, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the True isolator kit grounded to the frame as you can see in the upper left corner of the picture - forgive the tape on the wires in the picture changing the color of the wires - they are temporary until I get the correct lengths with the right colors. 11:30 last night I wanted to see if what I was doing was going to work! The wire I am referring to is under my finger in the picture and is red with a yellow stripe and it runs directly into the OEM fuse box but is spliced into with a wire that appears to run into the cab with the rest of the wires running out of the front area. My assumption is this wire allows the after market accessories to turn on and off with the key. After doing more investigation, I’m realizing the previous owner installed an aftermarket fuse box and that is where the heater and wipers run into with additional slots for extra lighting. The box fits so nice that it looked OEM to me but after watching videos of other guys doing work under the hood, I realized this is an aftermarket fuse box. My big question is this - that red/yellow wire is running into the OEM fuse box - do I need to do anything with it if I switch the positive and negative wires from my aftermarket fuse box off of the main battery to my secondary battery or will this still serve as a key on/off activation for my aftermarket accessories? Thanks so much for helping me out!

C1987D70 99FD 4669 B7B8 307B3A970188 Image

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My big question is this - that red/yellow wire is running into the OEM fuse box - do I need to do anything with it if I switch the positive and negative wires from my aftermarket fuse box off of the main battery to my secondary battery or will this still serve as a key on/off activation for my aftermarket accessories?
hard to know for sure, but it should work. if the red/yellow wire is a key on power source, it is likely activating a relay that controls the power to the additional fuse box (maybe inside the box). if thats the case, then the relay will still work if you move the main wires to the secondary battery and leave the red/yellow where it is.