P500 Elka stage 1

Chevyfan396

Chevyfan396

Oct 26, 2021
Palouse, Wa
Ownership

1. 520
I ordered Elka Stage 1s for my P520. The main reason was I wanted a better ride. Between the short sidewalls of 24" tires and the hard shocks, our first few rides in the Colorado Mountains near Leadville were pretty bad. So, after swapping tires to radials and a much larger size for more absorption. I knew the only way to improve things further was to swap the shocks.

I chose stages 1s because I didn't feel I would ever change the settings other than preload. To be honest, I have a hard time spending $2k on a set of shocks for a machine that has a sticker price of $10k. And, as others have pointed out, we only have 5.9" of travel to work with. If I had a machine that cost $20k and had 12-14" of suspension travel, I might be more inclined to look at other stages.

I'm looking for an improvement in my ride, not the ultimate in adjustability. These machines are fairly simple so I thought the Stage 1 was appropriate.

Rob
Did you order from a dealer or straight from Elka. I've been looking at ordering stage 1 as well but not sure who is a reputable dealer.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
From a dealer, I didn't think there was any extra benefit for going straight to the source on this one.

Reactions: Smitty335 and 906UP
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Installed my Elka Stage 3s in January of 2018, huge improvement. Easily 2 gears quicker (within reason) compared to stock over most terrain. Be interesting to be able to compare: same machine, terrain, etc, only changing shocks. In terms of changing setting first time was this autumn prior to storing a my buddies for him to plough snow with, stiffened up the fronts. I will say when ever I ride the “Dozer” makes me smile and laugh, controlled pillowy compliant ride. My recommendations, if you plan to keep it and can swing the dough… do it!
Cheers
j
E31F6391 BE64 49CB 89D3 3C3F4251370B

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Man, those Elkas are good looking.
Yaaas thought I’d toss in a teaser… when I ordered mine I told the guys in Quebec @ Elka, how much weight typically I have on (just me, chainsaw, recovery keerap), they came preset as in the above image. I removed my anti sway for better rear articulation for really slow rough terrain. If I drove on more gravel forestry roads I’d reinstall it maybe for better cornering at speed. Or I guess play with dampening on shocks.. heh.
Anyways I’ll say it’s made the Dozer so much fun!
Cheers
j

Kkettlebell

Kkettlebell

Apr 1, 2022
Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Just a quick update:

I ordered Elka Stage 1s on March 9th.
I was notified on April 22nd they shipped.
Estimated delivery is 28th of April.

No ETA on when I will install them.

Rob
Just a quick update:

I ordered Elka Stage 1s on March 9th.
I was notified on April 22nd they shipped.
Estimated delivery is 28th of April.

No ETA on when I will install them.

Rob
Nice! I ordered my 4 stage ones on April 18th…can’t wait to get them! Give a ride report when you get them mounted up.

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I put a stage two Elka on mine last year. Have to say that they are fantastic shock and really transformed the ride. Riding on 27 inch mud bugs by maxxiss. As mentioned above they come set up from the builder. I feel the set up is pretty much perfect did not have to touch a thing. It transformed my little red from a farm waggon to a trail machine. Waited 12 weeks for mine

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What's a little confusing is the high and low speed compression settings, this isn't about speed of the buggy, rather the speed of shock compression, high speed is for hard impacts like rock ledges, low speed is for like dirt roads, I've got my low speed set pretty stiff since I don't run sway bars, the rebound is a total different thing, if you run the rocks you'll want the rebound faster than if you run whoops, if you have your rebound set to fast in the whoops it will buck.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Please get us a report. I’m holding off ordering until I hear how much different they are or aren’t.

Reactions: futzin
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I have to tell you guys, the build quality looks amazing. Of course this is only observed from the outside.

I have a very busy month of May. We are taking all of our adult kids and spouses to Disney for a week. Our youngest daughter is graduating from law school and I have a business trip for 4 days too. I’m not sure when I will get them installed.

Rob

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Please get us a report. I’m holding off ordering until I hear how much different they are or aren’t.
GRANITE,
Just do it, you’ll be shocked…. Mahahahha. Really, 2 gears quicker on my “Dozer” compared to stock. I tried spacers, (just increased the harshness) installed the updated stock Honda shocks (in Canada was a warranty thing). Then finally swapped in stage 3s, yaaas they are a pretty penny, (for me and wife totally worth it), if you wanna change how it rides for the better, like different machine better… highly recommended.
cheers.

Chevyfan396

Chevyfan396

Oct 26, 2021
Palouse, Wa
Ownership

1. 520
Where is everyone ordering from? There seems to a few different online dealers, not sure which are reputable or if any of them offer discount codes etc.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I actually went to eBay and order them from a retailer.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
For your advice: I put them on my wish list and got a 5% discount after a few days.
Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Kkettlebell

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!