P500 EMP Roof vs Moose Roof

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering if anyone has the EMP aluminum roof on a Pioneer 500. I like that the EMP has a rain gutter running along the front and back drip edge of the roof. I have a Moose folding windshield that comes about 7 inches shy of where the roof would fit. The EMP looks like it would be easier to add a piece of lexan to fill in this gap and prevent rain running intounit. I've read several reviews of the MooseRoof but haven't seen anything on the EMP. Comments appreciated.

Reactions: rtn001
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the forum.

I have the EMP roof. I liked the smooth low profile look, better than the OEM roof, and it was cheaper too. The install is simple. It would be a pain if you needed to take it on and off often, but I have no reason to. It has held up well, and I tow at 75 MPH + a lot. I bought mine directly from EMP. They were about the same price as everyone else, and I got free shipping.

IMG 0619 IMG 0616 Side

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500

I have the EMP roof. I liked the smooth low profile look, better than the OEM roof, and it was cheaper too. The install is simple. It would be a pain if you needed to take it on and off often, but I have no reason to. It has held up well, and I tow at 75 MPH + a lot. I bought mine directly from EMP. They were about the same price as everyone else, and I got free shipping.

View attachment 27012 View attachment 27013 View attachment 27014

Thanks Silver_Alert, I appreciate the photos and input.
In addition to the price difference compared to the OEM, I also have a vertical clearance issue loading into my enclosed trailer (only have an inch to spare) and don't think the ribs on top of the OEM would fit through door.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500

What is the roof made out of? I like it but I would need to notch the front around where my light bar mounts are. Does that seem possible?

edit.... just looked it up. EMP is aluminum. I would need to go with the Moose roof so I can cut the plastic notches.

D

Deleted member 3748

What is the roof made out of? I like it but I would need to notch the front around where my light bar mounts are. Does that seem possible?

edit.... just looked it up. EMP is aluminum. I would need to go with the Moose roof so I can cut the plastic notches.
You can cut aluminum easily and semi-accurately with a jig saw.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks Silver_Alert, I appreciate the photos and input.
In addition to the price difference compared to the OEM, I also have a vertical clearance issue loading into my enclosed trailer (only have an inch to spare) and don't think the ribs on top of the OEM would fit through door.
DaddyDubbs, what is your enclosed trailer door opening height? Do you have a roof on your P500 and if so what brand and what is your overall height?

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
DaddyDubbs, what is your enclosed trailer door opening height? Do you have a roof on your P500 and if so what brand and what is your overall height?
Hi Mudder, Door height opening on my lark is 72-1/2" (dealer said the trailer had a 6" higher roof than standard). I have an EMP aluminum roof and stock tires, everything clears with no problem. I don't think your unit would fit with OEM roof and 27" tires. Maybe a Lark dealer could special order with a 12" higher roof. Good Luck.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks, might work if I switch to EMP flatter roof, wonder if it will work with OEM full windshield? Would be cheaper than cost of 12 inch extra trailer height upgrade, (and look better).....wish I knew before I got the dealer to throw in the roof, should have asked for a free windshield instead! Lesson learned for others thinking about an enclosed trailer. That OEM roof does add a lot of height and maybe I could rig up the OEM quick clamps to the EMP roof and put the OEM on the Kubota tractor. Thanks again for the reply DDs.

Last edited:
F

Fatbud89

Jul 9, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, might work if I switch to EMP flatter roof, wonder if it will work with OEM full windshield? Would be cheaper than cost of 12 inch extra trailer height upgrade, (and look better).....wish I knew before I got the dealer to throw in the roof, should have asked for a free windshield instead! Lesson learned for others thinking about an enclosed trailer. That OEM roof does add a lot of height and maybe I could rig up the OEM quick clamps to the EMP roof and put the OEM on the Kubota tractor. Thanks again for the reply DDs.

So, did the flat EMP roof work with the Honda windshield?
I'm ready to order, just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

advertisement
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
This is how you get @Mudder to reply.

Welcome to the Forum.
Welcome, not sure about the Honda windshield, I currently have the Moose folding windshield which leaves about a 6” gap between top of windshield and EMP roof, which is nice to mount GoPro in that open area. Bad part is when it rains you get wet, both from the open area an thighs down to feet get wet from rain down windshield and dropping through gap in fixed and folding part of windshield.
My Moose windshield is starting to get scratched so whatever you decide, make sure it’s hard coated.
I’m probably going to look into the EMP hardcoat windshield when I need to replace my current windshield.
Hope this helps.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I bought the EMP roof and had nothing but problems with it! I paid extra for the tough textured powdercoat finish and it scratched off during installation. The front bend also was wrong and I returned it. Its been two weeks since I've returned it to EMP and I still haven't gotten anywhere with it! They said they would call back and still awaiting!! I'll attach pictures

AF73D868 A773 47B3 AFFC 81B3A1A88661 0D1F7895 6C59 4735 AFB3 4D50F1F3FBD4 C5368CD0 632F 4A39 AA2B 906C17477E15

Reactions: rtn001 and Eltobgi
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the EMP roof and had nothing but problems with it! I paid extra for the tough textured powdercoat finish and it scratched off during installation. The front bend also was wrong and I returned it. Its been two weeks since I've returned it to EMP and I still haven't gotten anywhere with it! They said they would call back and still awaiting!! I'll attach pictures

View attachment 92465 View attachment 92466 View attachment 92467
Wow, that’s too bad @JSPEED, my roof fits great and I like it, no problems at all.

A

Airic

Nov 5, 2018
Va
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 92465 View attachment 92466 View attachment 92467

Yikes!!! I was about to pull the trigger on the EMP roof.....scary

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Mine fit like a glove. I would buy it all over again. I do understand that any manufacturer can let a inferior product slip through.

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming

How much total height does your EMP roof add to your P500? I just got a P500 and am looking at roofs. It barely clips the top of my storage shed as it, and I have reduced the tire pressure to 7 psi.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
How much total height does your EMP roof add to your P500? I just got a P500 and am looking at roofs. It barely clips the top of my storage shed as it, and I have reduced the tire pressure to 7 psi.
3/8” to 1/2" max. Here are a few photos to give you an idea. Last one is older photo before tire change
EMP 04 EMP 07 EMP 08 WS1

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!