P500 EMP vs OEM Hard Top

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 500 this week. The only dealer option i am considering is the factory hard top. I think it will either be that or order an EMP poly hard top. Have searched the forum and cant really find much on the EMP. Those of you with a poly hard top, which do you prefer and why?

Reactions: 500oneer
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think the EMP plastic is fairly new. I'd never seen it until you posted.

Personally, I think the factory roof looks the best, but the price difference is big. And it drips rain right on your balls. The EMP has rain rails, so I'd take it.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have no experience with the EMP plastic roof, but I have the EMP aluminum roof, and the fit and fit and finish was good on it, as well as the quick shipping from EMP. No "rain dripping on your balls" either. :)

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I think the EMP plastic is fairly new. I'd never seen it until you posted.

Personally, I think the factory roof looks the best, but the price difference is big. And it drips rain right on your balls. The EMP has rain rails, so I'd take it.
This is exactly what I was looking for.....I knew the EMP had the rain rails, but didnt realize that oem did not. I guess their setup is more for rigs with a full windshield.

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I've got the OEM roof on my 500 and haven't had any problems but I also have the oem windshield,doors
I think all the after market parts are quality made and in some cases alot cheaper but you need to keep in consideration any future purchases and weather they work together

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
OEM has a raised drip rail in front, good OEM windshield seal. Liked the extra headroom, especially for mounting stuff to ROPS overhead using some extra OEM quick clamps. A negative is be aware of a few extra inches taller if shopping for an enclosed trailer with minimal clearance.

48E7A981 E560 4645 AAAA 3306E11B8B48 1DC0938B AEC3 4F45 8CCB 1C3C72A95731

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have the EMP plastic roof. It fits well no vibration issues or squeaks. I would buy it again. Never had the Honda hard top so I can’t give any comparisons.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I' got the OEM roof on my 500 and haven't had any problems but I also have the oem windshield,doors
I think all the after market parts are quality made and in some cases alot cheaper but you need to keep in consideration any future purchases and weather they work together
Very good point about the aftermarket stuff working together properly, some of it may require some modifications. I think the EMP top fits the top profile of the Honda windshield. My machine will have everything for the cab from different manufacturers. EMP top, Moose front window, Tusk rear window and eventually Honda doors. I think the doors will work fine but I won’t know for sure till later this year.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OEM has a raised drip rail in front, good OEM windshield seal. Liked the extra headroom, especially for mounting stuff to ROPS overhead using some extra OEM quick clamps. A negative is be aware of a few extra inches taller if shopping for an enclosed trailer with minimal clearance.

View attachment 142846 View attachment 142847
Well...I stand corrected. Has it always been like that? Could have sworn it didn't have one....

Reactions: Slayer
dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure that you will be happy with whatever accessories you go with the oem doors fit loose enough to be used with different tops
I thought about the soft top to see if it fits the doors any better
It seems like trial and error on alot of this stuff

Reactions: Slayer
Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500

Its hard for me to tell exactly in your picture mudder, but the OEM has space above the rops that the EMP doesn't have?

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Good point about the extra height of the OEM roof. I already had an enclosed trailer and the OEM additional height wouldn't fit so I got the EMP, which only adds about 1/2 to 5/8" above ROPS. They didn't have poly then, and I've been very happy with the aluminum roof.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!