Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that's more what I was hoping to hear.
Remember if your foot gets caught or you slip on a muddy tire you'll be there awhile. I had a 16'x 7. And it was a huge pain. Now I've got a 24x8.5. So much better. And easier to use the wheel straps. I'd go wide as possible if your already spending the money. Also tandem axels.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
You can get an escape door in the side of your enclosed trailer. I'm going to look at one of these

All Sport | Aluminum Enclosed Sport Trailer

I can haul my two snowmobiles in it in the winter and my talon in the summer. I've got a 7x16 now, but the talon is too tall for it. View attachment 176723

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really like this trailer, but I can't find any locally. I'd really like to see one in person. The only down side I see is using it for other than hauling UTVs. Stuff like, moving my two daughter's around the country......again.

Reactions: Plumber32
Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Remember if your foot gets caught or you slip on a muddy tire you'll be there awhile. I had a 16'x 7. And it was a huge pain. Now I've got a 24x8.5. So much better. And easier to use the wheel straps. I'd go wide as possible if your already spending the money. Also tandem axels.

Tandem axles are a must for me. I was thinking about a 14 foot long trailer.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
So here is my full story.

I already have a really nice 7 x 14 HaulMark enclosed trailer that is too low to get the Talon inside. I use this for hauling motorcycles and general moving and stuff. I also have a 7 x 14 deck over flatbed that I only use to haul ATV/UTV. This trailer is now 20 years old and has seen it's better days.

So, at a minimum I need to replace the flatbed, but my thought is to sell both trailers and get just an enclosed trailer that works for everything. One less thing to sit in the driveway.

HaulMark Trailer
Flatbed Trailer

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Now that's more what I was hoping to hear.

We came from a 28' Haulmark Edge race trailer to what we have now when we sold the racing operation and got into offloading. I find the 7x16 quite adequate for how we use it. Obviously giving up some space and convenience over a bigger trailer but the place I bought the 7x16 told me that he stocks this size trailer specifically because it's the most popular with the SXS folks. We did a little race trailerish conversion to add some cabinets, lighting, coin floor and such. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the size.

48394932027 c9430fbe93 b

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like a garage/shed/shop, you can rarely have too much space. Since you have room to park, I'd be all over a 8.5' trailer. Towing width and frontal area is something I'd be glad to live with. Maybe consider a V-nose to cut the wind better if it bothers you that much.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like a garage/shed/shop, you can rarely have too much space. Since you have room to park, I'd be all over a 8.5' trailer. Towing width and frontal area is something I'd be glad to live with. Maybe consider a V-nose to cut the wind better if it bothers you that much.

Definitely doing the v-nose.

Dang it, looks like I'm going with 8.5 wide.

Thanks to all for the great input. You all sold me.

Now, anyone looking for a couple of trailers I have for sale? lol

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
you have a couple options. You can buy a 7' x 14' with 7' inside height. Option #1 is to just winch the unit in & out (I have been doing that for several years and it works with hook mounted at front of trailer and using the Talon winch with wireless remote). Option #2 is to have a 4' x 4' door put in on drivers side on a new trailer as it is being built (way too much to add to trailer that is already built cause of labor). I have a new 7' x 14' Aluma being built but won't have it till mid February so can't do a picture. I plan to drive in & get out similar to the Legend All Sport only without that strange front (may help with mileage & pull, but looks a lot of inside space).

J

JTW

you have a couple options. You can buy a 7' x 14' with 7' inside height. Option #1 is to just winch the unit in & out (I have been doing that for several years and it works with hook mounted at front of trailer and using the Talon winch with wireless remote). Option #2 is to have a 4' x 4' door put in on drivers side on a new trailer as it is being built (way too much to add to trailer that is already built cause of labor). I have a new 7' x 14' Aluma being built but won't have it till mid February so can't do a picture. I plan to drive in & get out similar to the Legend All Sport only without that strange front (may help with mileage & pull, but looks a lot of inside space).
While I understand making due with what you’ve already got... I just don’t know why if you’re buying you wouldn’t just go ahead and buy what is better suited for the job at hand.

J

JTW

Definitely doing the v-nose.

Dang it, looks like I'm going with 8.5 wide.

Thanks to all for the great input. You all sold me.

Now, anyone looking for a couple of trailers I have for sale? lol
What length? (I see where you said 14’...

I think that would be something you’ll look back on and regret. The longer the better it will track when pulling and honestly, the length doesn’t make much different other than the room you have after the fact. It’s not bad getting around and it’s nice to haul 2 machines if you ever wanted. Plus some room for some amenities up front if you so choose. I’d strongly consider at least a 20’... @Cuoutdoors might sell his and it’s ready to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I am looking for a specific truck at the moment, as soon I’ve found it I am ordering a 8.5x28 with 6” extra height. I’m going to have 2 machines in a few years and I want to fit them, and a bathroom since I’ve got 2 girls and there’s a lot of weirdos in campgrounds now.

7’ is to narrow I’m to old and out of shape to be trying to crawl out of anything.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
when I tow from Iowa to Utah, AZ, or Colorado, it is a long haul and being able to see past the trailer in interstate is important. I have a rear camera too, but I usually only load / unload a couple times each trip, BUT have to look back past that trailer sometimes 1500 miles one way. That is why I did not buy a 8.5' wide (please don't say just buy wider mirrors cause been there done that)

J

JTW

when I tow from Iowa to Utah, AZ, or Colorado, it is a long haul and being able to see past the trailer in interstate is important. I have a rear camera too, but I usually only load / unload a couple times each trip, BUT have to look back past that trailer sometimes 1500 miles one way. That is why I did not buy a 8.5' wide (please don't say just buy wider mirrors cause been there done that)
Buy a wider truck..

• Haha
Reactions: QuadMan747 and CID
Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
What length? (I see where you said 14’...

I think that would be something you’ll look back on and regret. The longer the better it will track when pulling and honestly, the length doesn’t make much different other than the room you have after the fact. It’s not bad getting around and it’s nice to haul 2 machines if you ever wanted. Plus some room for some amenities up front if you so choose. I’d strongly consider at least a 20’... @Cuoutdoors might sell his and it’s ready to go!

14 ft will easily handle the Talon and some odds and ends I carry. I will never need to carry two machines. I am considering a 16 ft only to be able to tow a small car if needed. The trailer I'm looking at has a heavy duty ramp with a 4,500 lb capacity so the two extra feet will be nice. The other reason I don't want something too long is parking space. I have plenty at home, but many places we stay at when riding Hatfield McCoy have limited parking. I pull a 14 ft trailer all the time now and it tracks great.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
14 ft will easily handle the Talon and some odds and ends I carry. I will never need to carry two machines. I am considering a 16 ft only to be able to tow a small car if needed. The trailer I'm looking at has a heavy duty ramp with a 4,500 lb capacity so the two extra feet will be nice. The other reason I don't want something too long is parking space. I have plenty at home, but many places we stay at when riding Hatfield McCoy have limited parking. I pull a 14 ft trailer all the time now and it tracks great.

I was going with a 16’ until I decided to add a second machine to the mix. They can be had for around $4000-4500 here.

J

JTW

Ok.. then you should buy that.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've always towed SxS in an open trailer. Looking at going to an enclosed trailer but really don't want to go with a 8.5 foot wide version. How difficult will it be to get in and out of a Talon X inside a 7 foot wide trailer?

Thanks!
You’ll probably want to remove the window nets if you haven’t already! I found it nearly impossible to get out of the Talon with the net installed because you can only remove the front of the net, leaving half the net in your way for climbing out and back in!

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
You’ll probably want to remove the window nets if you haven’t already! I found it nearly impossible to get out of the Talon with the net installed because you can only remove the front of the net, leaving half the net in your way for climbing out and back in!

Thanks, I did that. The picture above was from the day I picked it up. Many changes since then.

LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
My stock Talon R was wide enough to rub the cables that let the door up and down on a 7' wide trailer. It would fit but I had someone hold the cables out of the way when I loaded it.

I removed one side of the cable system (they are independently sprung on my door) and stay a couple inches wide of the other cable when loading (7x14 trailer). What I worry about is picking out a larger wheel and tire package and not staying at factory width. It doesn't seem like too many manufacturers are making Talon specific offset wheels yet.

And, yes, it does take a double reverse half pike with a full layout dismount to get out of the trailer after loading up... :(

Reactions: hoghead76

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!