P1000 Engine cooling and Cab heat fix (test & info)

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to start with a question (anyone know at what temp the gauge goes from 2 bars to 3 bars and to 4 bars?

Info on bike
2016 1000-5 has IGR and 32x10 STI X Comps
My full Build

Have fan under set see post 68 and 73 (Just a ton of information on this page)

Now lets get started
I'm working in Texas in 100+ deg temps and the sand is super thick like 1 1/2+ft deep. I'm running the bike 25-35mph in like 5th gear 4k-6,5krpms 4x4 in high. I want to be very clear with the 32s and the sand I'm pushing the bike very hard like its under say 90-95% of its max load ability. I drop it a gear to say 8krpms and mash the gas to the floor no real change in speed or If I mash the gas to the floor in the gear I'm in it will keep picking up speed but it takes a min. This is a 3-7 mile ride in these conditions. If I hit solid ground like a main gravel road for that few seconds the bike will literally take off because its not under such a load.

In the morning when Its 75deg outside it want run hot just in the afternoon when its 100+ outside and the sand is 130+ it will jump from 2 bars to 3bars.

Test 1
After the first time it ran hot I added VP racing Cool Down you can buy at Tractor Supply. You could see it took a little longer to get to the 3rd Bar but not much difference but it defiantly went down to 2 bars faster. (I couldn't see any real temp numbers but I would say it ran cooler and defiantly helped it cool down faster)

Test 2 (I would like to add this is a nice piece for $20 and an easy install)
I added the Hondasxs (Pioneer 1000 Fan T-Harness DIY Fan Override! On/Off/Auto) I did the On and Auto I didn't care about being able to cut it off.
So For this test I cut it on before I started the hard ride. It made it take longer to go to 3 bars but it still did. Thats what I would think also. Sure it didn't change the actual temp just helped due to the fan was already on so the radator would have ran a little cooler when it was sitting still before I took off to start the run.

Test 3 All test are run with the radiator fan and under seat fans running
Outside Temp 75deg
Before the ride- under seat 105deg (You can see in the pic below the placement of my temp sensor under the seat)
After the ride- under seat 127deg

Test 4 Test ran just sitting no driving
Outside temp 82deg
Under seat- No fan- 148deg
Under seat - Fan on- 135deg

Test 5
I also took a temp gun to see what the hottest place on the cab was it is right out from the gas petal about where your calf muscle is. We will call this the side of seat hot spot for test reasons.

Outside temp 82deg
Side of seat hot spot- Fan on 109deg
Side of seat hot spot- driving around no load- 112deg
Driving around no load- Fan on- under seat temp 137deg
At this point I checked Radiator temp 178deg (with temp gun)

Test 6 (max load test) At this test we tested the sand and it was 131deg
Outside temp 99deg
Radiator temp 178deg- before
Radiator temp 203deg- after
Under seat- before 140deg
Under seat- after 167deg
Side of seat hot spot- 115deg before
Side of seat hot spot- 143deg after

Few thing I want to point out from the test under the seat changed the same amount as the radiator. Between test 5 and 6 outside temp changed a ton but under the seat stayed about the same. To me that says it is heat soaked based off engine and radiator temp. Also looks like in the spot I have the fan it is good for 10deg no matter the temp out side due to the heat soak.

If you look in the pic you will see my fan is pointed to push the air around the exhaust out but from my test the hottest place was on the other side like 10+deg hotter over by where you sit. Why? to me from the pics below it looks like they designed the bike to flow air out by the exhaust just like the way Im using my fan to help but The radiator lines are coming up on the other side by my butt and if you look back behind that to looks like the Transmission and not much room for air to flow by so maybe the air is bottle necking and getting stuck and heat soaking. No top of that you have the water hoses that are heat soaking and the motor and transmission. Just my thoughts.

So my next test will be to see if I can move my fan and try and help that air get out from the drivers side not worry about the exhaust side so much.

I don't feel that I have a real problem at this point but it gives me something to do by seeing if I can fix this problem. Seem like I have a great chance to see if I can help find the best placement for the fan under the seat. It will be 109deg tomorrow so great test day.

I stole the first 2 pics off the link above.
582810B1 0485 4107 B19F 26D0069AFC20 1 201 a
B46B72C1 508D 44EA 98E0 B60C6E0A0674 1 201 a
IMG 2917 2

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I would like to point out under that type of load seeing a 20deg increase isn't outside of normal. If you have a truck in that type of load you will see the same thing even something like an F250 or something big like that.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice write up!

Realistically the only other improvement to slow the heat soak in the engine compartment is to bring in outside air at significantly higher volumes than a bilge fan or other small fan can accomplish.

Reactions: Biteme
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice write up!

Realistically the only other improvement to slow the heat soak in the engine compartment is to bring in outside air at significantly higher volumes than a bilge fan or other small fan can accomplish.

I agree

Reactions: Biteme and Vikes79
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep in mind this is real world test and wind maybe blowing harder one day may have less sun and more shade. Numbers are what they are I don't care how they compare to other test.

See pic for new placement of fan.

IMG 5318

Test 1

Outside temp 90deg
Under seat- No fan- 153deg
Under seat - Fan on- 139deg
Side of seat hot spot- Fan on 129deg
Side of seat hot spot- fan on- 129deg
Driving around no load- Fan on- under seat temp- no change in deg
At this point I checked Radiator temp 178deg (This is n't changing but the big test under load)

Test 2
Outside temp 108deg
Under seat- Before- 139deg
Under seat - After- 165deg
Side of seat hot spot- fan on- 135deg
At this point I checked Radiator temp 199deg
To give an idea how hot it is
Sand 143deg
SXS roof 128deg
SXS dash 125deg-135deg depending on spot you check.
My pants was 111deg
Its hot

My opinion I think the new placement helped the cooling It was 9deg hotter and at the end of the trip the Radiator was 4deg cooler. It still was at 3 bars.

Going to leave it and see how it does this week Friday temp will be 99deg so will be a better comparison. But it has done it every afternoon for 2 weeks so even tomorrow at 94deg should tell me if it helps.

Bonus I have the Alienshade mesh roof with my Hard top on I knew it was helping cool the cab but no idea how much test showed Roof 125deg mesh roof 109deg. (See Pic)
IMG 5319

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Keep in mind this is real world test and wind maybe blowing harder one day may have less sun and more shade. Numbers are what they are I don't care how they compare to other test.

See pic for new placement of fan.

View attachment 209109

Test 1

Outside temp 90deg
Under seat- No fan- 153deg
Under seat - Fan on- 139deg
Side of seat hot spot- fan on- 129deg
Driving around no load- Fan on- under seat temp- no change in deg
At this point I checked Radiator temp 178deg (This is n't changing but the big test under load)

Test 2
Outside temp 108deg
Under seat- Before- 139deg
Under seat - After- 165deg
Side of seat hot spot- fan on- 135deg
At this point I checked Radiator temp 199deg
To give an idea how hot it is
Sand 143deg
SXS roof 128deg
SXS dash 125deg-135deg depending on spot you check.
My pants was 111deg
Its hot

My opinion I think the new placement helped the cooling It was 9deg hotter and at the end of the trip the Radiator was 4deg cooler. It still was at 3 bars.

Going to leave it and see how it does this week Friday temp will be 99deg so will be a better comparison. But it has done it every afternoon for 2 weeks so even tomorrow at 94deg should tell me if it helps.

Bonus I have the Alienshade mesh roof with my Hard top on I knew it was helping cool the cab but no idea how much test showed Roof 125deg mesh roof 109deg. (See Pic)
View attachment 209110
That's pretty cool!!! I'm definitely interested in the results.
Side bar question: how did you end up mounting the hard roof over the alien shade? (The 2 brackets for the middle ROPS)?
Any other pics of that sound system?
Tnx!

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First question read the last few post on this tread or all of them lol. (I still think its one of my best upgrades)

See post 62 For radio Its great I really like the radio.

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't feel like doing anything today.

I would like to make one thing clear I made the header the way I did because with all the testing and numbers it may help a person with both engine overheating and Cab heat problem. BUT for what I am doing I'm just looking at helping cool my engine.

I will most likely use this info to help me better cool my cab but thats just a bonus to all this testing.

D

DDDonkey

@Bradley-Thornton

Question for you, I saw that you posted in the SPAL fan thread, do you plan on adding one or are you going a different route like the radiator upgrade that @Kilo427 did? This is a great thread and very informative, anything to help the engine stay cooler I am all in for. Thank you your hard work and updating us, I look forward to you results.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a good quality hood insulation for cover under the seat and under back engine cover. It had a sticky side so it stuck to inside of engine cover well. I used a plastic sheet to cover sticky side for under the seat. It worked a thousand times better then what most places suggest you use. I also used a 4” bilge fan with 4” ridged dryer duct you can find at Lowe’s/Home Depot. I purchased the on/off adjustable temp controller off Amazon to control fan and mounted it inside the top part of glove box to keep it dry. It was around $100 in parts for bilge setup and works way better then the 3” kit you buy online for $300 +. I live in Southern New Mexico where some days are over 100 degrees and I have no complaints except the radiator fan hear that pushes through the dash. I plan on resolving that soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I used a good quality hood insulation for cover under the seat and under back engine cover. It had a sticky side so it stuck to inside of engine cover well. I used a plastic sheet to cover sticky side for under the seat. It worked a thousand times better then what most places suggest you use. I also used a 4” bilge fan with 4” ridged dryer duct you can find at Lowe’s/Home Depot. I purchased the on/off adjustable temp controller off Amazon to control fan and mounted it inside the top part of glove box to keep it dry. It was around $100 in parts for bilge setup and works way better then the 3” kit you buy online for $300 +. I live in Southern New Mexico where some days are over 100 degrees and I have no complaints except the radiator fan hear that pushes through the dash. I plan on resolving that soon.

longrhoads this is not on a Pioneer but my current machine. I used an 8" rad fan to pull the heat from under the hood and push it out over the right front tire and it works great at keeping the heat from coming through the dash. it doesn't stop it all but I put the same insulation on my firewalls also and behind my shifter and it helped. Have the fan on a toggle switch that is powered on by the key so the fan shuts on/off with the key once the switch is turned on. I am picking up my new Pioneer next week and plan on doing alot of this heat prevention before I even ride it because I have 3200 miles on my current machine and the average speed is 7 mph so in general I am not moving fast enough to create air flow. I hunt off my machine so the majority of the speed will be slow.

20190614 154804 r 20190614 154810 r

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Bradley-Thornton

Question for you, I saw that you posted in the SPAL fan thread, do you plan on adding one or are you going a different route like the radiator upgrade that @Kilo427 did? This is a great thread and very informative, anything to help the engine stay cooler I am all in for. Thank you your hard work and updating us, I look forward to you results.

No plans on that one was just giving him a little help on things I had tried or was trying.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tomorrow temp will be 98 so good day to compare but I'm 100% sure its running cooler.

longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
longrhoads this is not on a Pioneer but my current machine. I used an 8" rad fan to pull the heat from under the hood and push it out over the right front tire and it works great at keeping the heat from coming through the dash. it doesn't stop it all but I put the same insulation on my firewalls also and behind my shifter and it helped. Have the fan on a toggle switch that is powered on by the key so the fan shuts on/off with the key once the switch is turned on. I am picking up my new Pioneer next week and plan on doing alot of this heat prevention before I even ride it because I have 3200 miles on my current machine and the average speed is 7 mph so in general I am not moving fast enough to create air flow. I hunt off my machine so the majority of the speed will be slow.

View attachment 209376 View attachment 209377

Yea man, most of my rides are slow also whether I’m hunting or scouting like now. I live in the desert of South East New Mexico but hunt most big game up in the mountains a hour and 1/2 away. Only time I’m hauling ass is to get from one area to another. I don’t think the 8” fan will make a difference on the pioneer only because how it’s designed. Once you get it you will see what I’m talking about. I’m ordering the kit from Honda and depending how it installs/works will probably modify it. Lol
Most of my hunts are in the winter and usually in snow so I turn my bilge fan off with toggle I install like yours. The heat is nice in the winter. I also have a full enclosure ordered from Alumilite Armor that will help if I receive it in time (it was ordered 3 months ago). Right now, it’s hotter then holy hell so I want to do everything I can to stop the heat.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I did some more testing today cool results.

Did a test on fan runtime to see if the fan on the engine was helping or not.

Test 1
Radiator fan run time.
93deg outside
Fan under the seat off. Bike just sitting. (this is a close average)
Fan off 30sec
Fan on 60sec

Back Seats same time No Fan under seat off. (Seats are down doors shut, I shot the center panel that was the hottest spot)
Driver back seat 138deg
Passenger back seat 139deg

Under front seat 152deg

Test 2
Now I cut the Fan under seat on.
140-143deg
Fan off 64sec
Fan on 28sec
driver back seat 143deg
Passenger back seat 155deg

Test 3
Outside temp 94deg
So for this test bike was at full temp I turned the Radiator Fan switch on I got from Hondasxs.com Store, and under seat fan on.
Normal temp of Radiator is 178deg when at temp.
Turned fan on for like 10min, Radiator temp154deg
Underseat 137deg

After ride out under load.
Radiator 188deg
driver back seat 148deg
Passenger back seat 155deg

Still went to 3 bars on the way out but as you can see Radiator was down from the original 203deg test.

You can see from these test that both fans are helping.

I would like to get one more test in under load at closer to 99deg like the other test to see if it gets closer to 203deg but I really don't see it happening. After that I would like to move the fan back to the passenger side and see results running the same test in that spot.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Bradley-Thornton ; Check out @z28camaro82 thread discussing his Power Vision and tunes. In the video, he has a kick-ass IR camera and measured temps at the radiator, O2 sensor and muffler in stock form, the pre-loaded Dynojet tune, and then the Hess tune. Dropped the temps at the O2 sensor 230º!

That was enough to sell me...just ordered one up.

Here's the thread.

Reactions: z28camaro82

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!