P700 EPS recall done + fuel pump. Now it dies when driving.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So far, ive yet to have this same issue with any P700s.

We've had 3 P700s with a similar shutting off issue, but they were all results of winch installs and customers leaving the ground eyelet under the passenger side front fender loose where the Honda oem winch ground attaches.

I've been referring anyone who has this issue to check that ground, which was added at some time in the P700's lifespan, I cant remember what year. So maybe Honda added it for that reason? It's the ground for the regulator/rectifier, maybe this issue could be related to that added ground.

Edit: That ground was added in 2017 and also feeds a single ground to a 5 Pin connector on the PCM, that ground use to be tied into one of the 2 other grounds that 2014-2016 models had.
Wait...there's a ground up front? I don't think I've seen that one. Where is it specifically?

Certainly doesn't seem like the older ones have this issue.

@BobRack has reported that he's done the extra grounds to machines and NOT had it fix them, so it seems the search continues. It seems to have fixed mine.

22_P1k5_IA

Sep 10, 2022
central
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far, ive yet to have this same issue with any P700s.

We've had 3 P700s with a similar shutting off issue, but they were all results of winch installs and customers leaving the ground eyelet under the passenger side front fender loose where the Honda oem winch ground attaches.

I've been referring anyone who has this issue to check that ground, which was added at some time in the P700's lifespan, I cant remember what year. So maybe Honda added it for that reason? It's the ground for the regulator/rectifier, maybe this issue could be related to that added ground.

Edit: That ground was added in 2017 and also feeds a single ground to a 5 Pin connector on the PCM, that ground use to be tied into one of the 2 other grounds that 2014-2016 models had.
Ok so this ground is over passenger front wheel? Where at exactly? Any pictures? Thanks @Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wait...there's a ground up front? I don't think I've seen that one. Where is it specifically?

Certainly doesn't seem like the older ones have this issue.

@BobRack has reported that he's done the extra grounds to machines and NOT had it fix them, so it seems the search continues. It seems to have fixed mine.

Under the passenger front wheel well, atleast that's where it currently is on the last few model years.

Going by the wiring diagram, 2017 and up has 3 ground eyelets, that could mean they just added another to an already existing ground cluster or added another cluster all together.

I know they have the one under the front fender atleast from 2022 and up, I'll be on the look our for older ones as they come in.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Under the passenger front wheel well, atleast that's where it currently is on the last few model years.

Going by the wiring diagram, 2017 and up has 3 ground eyelets, that could mean they just added another to an already existing ground cluster or added another cluster all together.

I know they have the one under the front fender atleast from 2022 and up, I'll be on the look our for older ones as they come in.
I was thinking that I recalled asking about that way back in post #89...
@HondaTech where is this third ground lug? I only see 2 back behind the gas tank...unless you count the big ground to the engine.

View attachment 313942

Also: is there any info in where the "junctions" are located within the wire harness? The auto field usually has location maps for stuff like that, but I'm not seeing them in the FSM.

...and I determined that two of the eyelets were interlocked, and that was the "3rd" eyelet.

I've seen no other grounds other than the ones in the back...and I know this machine pretty well, though not on the level that someone who works on them every day would, so if you could keep your eye out, that would be great.

Mine is a 2020.
I've been telling people that I'm pretty confident the extra grounds would fix it, as seems to be the case with mine. But the suggestion that others haven't had that luck concerns me.

What I can't control is HOW it was done by them...

I essentially "Tee'd" the existing 3 PCM grounds with butt connectors and heat shrink, giving all an extra, direct path to ground on the frame, but ALSO adding redundant ground to the originals in the process.

I also separated the factory grounds in back from each other as best I could to try and make electrical "noise" that might be flipping out the PCM take less direct path to the PCM.

I also recrimped the factory eyelets with quality replacements using a quality crimper.

All of this was done at the same time, and it's never done it since. Probably 3k miles at this point.

Did I get just lucky and disturb whatever the problem was and it hasn't reoccurred? I'd hope not, but some recent comments make me wonder. I still want to know what's causing this?

Other things I did: @BobRack said he'd seen a cruddy stator connector cause this. I DID unplug both that connector and the one up at the reg/rectifier. They both looked perfect...and I'm 98% sure I did BOTH of those before it had happened the last few times (I did so much testing, etc, that's it's hard to keep track of the timeline at this point).

One thing I'm less clear on...and I may have mentioned this before: just in front of the firewall on the right, you'll see the harness snake up towards the underhood area. There is a wide area under the tape in the harness in there...and that's a buss-bar type connector the connects a bunch of grounds together.
I untaped and pulled out the plug (bar). Again, it looked PERFECT, so I retaped it up and tucked it back in. I'm pretty sure it did it again after this, but can't be 100% sure, so there is some chance THAT could have been what stopped it, but I just didn't see anything of concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buggyman
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also, @Hondasxs @JACKAL or some of the other mods...could we maybe change or add to the title to more accurately reflect what's being discussed? And pin it?
Doesn't seem like @Slackjaw is around anymore (and who can blame him?), and I feel like this thread gets overlooked by people fighting this because of the title.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!