P500 Error code 24

A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
Hey , hows it going? Can anyone with a manual tell me what error code 24 is for . My buddies came on the other day and his pioneer has been doing some weird things. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
My Honda p500 service manual shows that code to be "shift control motor drive circuit" . The troubleshooting consists of checking continuity of the wiring , and swapping out the shift control motor or the PCM with a known good unit to isolate the problem . Try disconnecting , inspecting and reconnecting the shift control motor connector .

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
I just had this happen to mine sunday. Spent the day in the mud. And would go ride the river to clean off some mud several times throughout the day. At the end of the day I pulled into shallow water to clean my winshield. Put it in neutral and let it idle while cleaning. Jumped in when done and gear light was blinking code 24. Would not go into gear. I put it in 2nd manually and drove home. Pulled the shift motor off and took it apart. It was full of water and mud. Cleaned the brushes and communicator real good with contact cleaner. Put it back together and shifts better than new. By the way my machine only has 256mi on it. Surprised me but the seal let water get in.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
I just had this happen to mine sunday. Spent the day in the mud. And would go ride the river to clean off some mud several times throughout the day. At the end of the day I pulled into shallow water to clean my winshield. Put it in neutral and let it idle while cleaning. Jumped in when done and gear light was blinking code 24. Would not go into gear. I put it in 2nd manually and drove home. Pulled the shift motor off and took it apart. It was full of water and mud. Cleaned the brushes and communicator real good with contact cleaner. Put it back together and shifts better than new. By the way my machine only has 256mi on it. Surprised me but the seal let water get in.
Wow ! Good info . Thx

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
No problem. Glad to help. I have rode heavy mud for years. I got the pioneer to take it easy on. That is why it surprised me it happened. The mud was trail mud not deep soupy mud and the river cleaning was just riding up to about middle of tires to clean underneath. It is easy to take apart and clean the shift motor. It is a real common problem with the rancher and foreman.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where would the shift motor be located? And what would the part number be for it if anyone knows? Im guessing it's on the back of the motor by the drive shaft...

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
It's on the front of the motor beside front drive shaft. The way I accessed mine was pick up the front with chain fall and remove the middle skid plate. It is right above the square manual shift shaft. You can see it from the top also if you remove the seat and fold back the rubber flap. It is beside the manual shift shaft. Hope this helps.

Reactions: shellypeed
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's on the front of the motor beside front drive shaft. The way I accessed mine was pick up the front with chain fall and remove the middle skid plate. It is right above the square manual shift shaft. You can see it from the top also if you remove the seat and fold back the rubber flap. It is beside the manual shift shaft. Hope this helps.

So this is it?

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
Yep. That is it. 9 time out of 10 it just needs to be took apart and cleaned. Often the other culprit is the shift angle sensor. It is on the back of engine near rear drive shaft on bottom.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool mine is good right now I was just curious in case I ever need to clean it. You would think it would be sealed as it shows an o ring in the part diagram.. Dang hondas... Lol

advertisement
393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
It is sealed by a o ring but the plug in part is plastic and I think that is where they leak. When I put mine back together I sealed it with a thin layer of rtv silicone. It surprised me on such a new machine and the fact I was so careful with it. But maybe I just got one with a bad part. But for the abuse they take they are tuff.

H

HondaTech

I've never seen a shift motor with mud inside the motor part. Did you actually take the armature out and found mud in there or just inside the small gearcase? If there was mud inside where the armature is, that's a faulty part.

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
It was muddy water that got in the electric motor housing. Not actual mud. When the muddy water got in there it made a muddy slurry around the armature and the copper contacts that the brushes touch. I cleaned it real good with contact cleaner. Now it works fine. The funny thing was if I cranked it up and took off it did fine. But if I let it idle for a minute it would give the error code and not shift. I guess I was beating the ecm before it picked up the fault code.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!