Exhaust smoke after ride

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all,

Noticed a few times these past few weeks, the exhaust will continue to smoke for a few minutes once I'm done riding. No real smell to it, and it's white, almost like steam.

Last check oil levels were fine and I don't see any noticeable leaks. Typically a white colored smoke means burning oil or a leaking head gasket right? Just concerned, as I have a turbo kit on order and hoping there's not an issue.

This doesn't happen often every so many rides I notice it though, it's strange to me. I have roughly 500 miles on the engine. Thoughts? No real changes that could have caused it either.

Edit: Temps were high 50s (F) today, so it definitely wasn't anything weather related (too cold, etc).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If your oil level is good I would pressure check your cooling system for possible head gasket leak. Is your coolant level good? Has it ever overheated on you?
Hey thanks for the quick reply, last check oil levels were good. I'll definitely check again, ran out of time this evening.

I never pressure checked the coolant system, didn't know you could do that. Last check all coolant was good (checked it a few days ago). Never had a heating issue that I'm aware of, never had it shut down etc.

Any other things I need to do or check?

Just concerned, don't want to toss this turbo kit on and really blow something due to a pre existing condition.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Here's a tester but I'm sure you can find one cheaper.

Coolant Pressure Tester
Thank you, I'm betting you can rent these too.

If this check comes back fine, what else should I check? I assume it'll be pressured and not escape elsewhere, if it does then there's a gasket issue.

Would the plugs show any signs of issues?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Generally speaking, blue smoke is from burning oil and white smoke is from burning ATF or from water or coolant vapors.

Since the Talon doesn't have ATF, you may want to look at a coolant leak into the combustion chambers.

You can rent a combustion tester so you don't have to buy it...

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you, I'm betting you can rent these too.

If this check comes back fine, what else should I check? I assume it'll be pressured and not escape elsewhere, if it does then there's a gasket issue.

Would the plugs show any signs of issues?

Your plugs probably won't be wet, but may smell of coolant.

I was a Ford mechanic for 13 years before becoming a full time fireman, I'm since retired.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Generally speaking, blue smoke is from burning oil and white smoke is from burning ATF or from water or coolant vapors.

Since the Talon doesn't have ATF, you may want to look at a coolant leak into the combustion chambers.

You can rent a combustion tester so you don't have to buy it...

Thanks Paul,

Isn't it strange that it doesn't seem to be a consistent issue? I only notice it every so often, however it does smoke for a couple minutes after the ride when I do notice it.

I'm going to do a full fluid check tomorrow, though last check I had full coolant. I'm super paranoid now, sure hope it isn't anything serious.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just did a quick check, the coolant is right under the "max" level. The only other item would be oil, right?

Really confused on why it'd smoke randomly. I didn't notice any smells either, I'm puzzled.

It's not like it's water or anything on the exhaust, as it appears to be coming out of the tail pipe.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If it's white it's possibly coolant. Like Paul said it's either coolant or ATF and our machines don't use ATF.
And if coolant it's obviously leaking into the engine is smoking out the exhaust, so probably not a cheap or quick fix ha?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Condensation if not up to operating temperature?
It was almost 60* and it was after the engine was off. I really hope it's nothing, however I'll run out after work today and get the tools to test coolant and compression.

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does it happen after long or short rides? There shouldn't be any white smoke after a long ride while a short one could just be condensation cooking out of the packing.

Is it stored outside or do you ride in water/wet weather? This increase the chances of white smoke/steam. If there's no smell I'd guess it's just steam from condensation/moisture burning off.

Just trying to rule out outside moisture. Our cars spew a bunch of condensation out of the tailpipes these days and if a Talon has packing in the silencer I could see it taking a while to cook it off.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Does it happen after long or short rides? There shouldn't be any white smoke after a long ride while a short one could just be condensation cooking out of the packing.

Is it stored outside or do you ride in water/wet weather?

Just trying to rule out outside moisture. Our cars spew a bunch of condensation out of the tailpipes these days and if a Talon has packing in the silencer I could see it taking a while to cook it off.
So the only two times I've noticed it was on a short ride, a ride around my yard. Most recent we got a lot of rain and the weathers been terrible and cold. Lots of rain and snow, now the yard/field is a muddy mess.... And while I definitely had water and mud kick up on the exhaust the smoke was coming from the inside of the exhaust (out of the tail pipe).

I store the side by side in my garage, and while it is dry inside there is no HVAC and it can get cold, though this day particularly was 59-60*. The ride itself was only a matter of two or three minutes, and I let the machine warm up for 2-3 mins on top of that.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
One other thing I would like to add to that, I did roll it on its side a few months back. After that it seems like the exhaust had a little bit of a different tone and I wonder if it's packing related.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!