Exhaust smoke after ride

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If the engine isn't fully warmed up when this is happening, I think it's simply condensation burning off.
Vehicle ran for a solid 6-8 minutes, then once turned off I noticed the smoke. I'd imagine that's enough time to warm up, it's strange though as my oil and coolant seems fine (appropriate levels).

I'll do a compression check and a coolant test to assure they come back with a passing grade.

If they come back clean, what else can I do to assure there's no issues? I'd imagine those two items roll out most major concerns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Vehicle ran for a solid 6-8 minutes, then once turned off I noticed the smoke. I'd imagine that's enough time to warm up, it's strange though as my oil and coolant seems fine (appropriate levels).

I'll do a compression check and a coolant test to assure they come back with a passing grade.

If they come back clean, what else can I do to assure there's no issues? I'd imagine those two items roll out most major concerns.

You're seeing this shortly after turning the engine off?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You're seeing this shortly after turning the engine off?
By time I turn the key and walk to the rear of the vehicle, however never fully tested it by having someone look at it when I turned it off immediately. This is something I just ran into yesterday, and once a few weeks back but didn't think much of it until I saw it again.

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Put the palm of your hand under the "smoke" when you see it and then smell it. It should have a distinct odor if it's oil or coolant. My guess is condensation burning off.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
So the only two times I've noticed it was on a short ride, a ride around my yard. Most recent we got a lot of rain and the weathers been terrible and cold. Lots of rain and snow, now the yard/field is a muddy mess.... And while I definitely had water and mud kick up on the exhaust the smoke was coming from the inside of the exhaust (out of the tail pipe).

I store the side by side in my garage, and while it is dry inside there is no HVAC and it can get cold, though this day particularly was 59-60*. The ride itself was only a matter of two or three minutes, and I let the machine warm up for 2-3 mins on top of that.

Yeah, I agree with @CID .....you need to run it much more than that to rule out the condensation idea.... but, do your testing anyway....you'll sleep better!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
One other thing I would like to add to that, I did roll it on its side a few months back. After that it seems like the exhaust had a little bit of a different tone and I wonder if it's packing related.

Doubt it, but again.... it won't hurt to check it out.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Put the palm of your hand under the "smoke" when you see it and then smell it. It should have a distinct odor if it's oil or coolant. My guess is condensation burning off.
So I did smell it, and couldn't smell anything. With that said, my wife came out and said she smells something but it isn't a sweet smell or anything. I really couldn't make anything of it though.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
@Many_Gs Any update?
Well, yesterday turned into a mess of other issues. I did get a hold of a compression test tool, and tried to pull the plugs however couldn't find a socket that would fit inside the cylinder head (so small... Even though I had deep well sockets). Then thanks to you guys I realized that there's a toolkit with a socket tool in it!

So long story short I am going to work on it today.

I also realize I'm still within a 12-month warranty and I may take it to a local shop and have them do a full review of everything to assure that we're good to go!

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Update: I am still under warranty, dropping it off at the local power shop and letting them do their thing. Hoping to drop it off this evening, I really doubt there's anything major going on...it's probably paranoia! Updates to follow in the coming days, guessing 4-5 days until I get some news.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This is exactly what I think he is describing.
I have to agree, 6-8 mins isn’t long.
Hoping that is the case, however, taking it into the shop here within the next hour or two. They will have it for a few days to check it out, if all checks out well then I'm a happy guy. If they find something that's not right, they'll address it under warranty.

I am really looking for a good health check before the turbo kit comes in, as I want to assure we're at 100% health and ready before I add the snail.

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hoping that is the case, however, taking it into the shop here within the next hour or two. They will have it for a few days to check it out, if all checks out well then I'm a happy guy. If they find something that's not right, they'll address it under warranty.

I am really looking for a good health check before the turbo kit comes in, as I want to assure we're at 100% health and ready before I add the snail.
Aren’t you supposed to upgrade some internals before you add the turbo?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you ran the balls off it for a hour and it comes back smoking then i would worry.If the waters good and the oil good i would not worry.Youll have enought to worry about when you add the turbo.
It's not like the stock pistons crack or anything once you add boost. Lol

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Update:

Shop stating compression is good, nothing standing out as an issue. Cylinders look great (scoped it I am guessing?), they mentioned they still have their hash marks from when they were honed out from the factory.

The only issue they found was excess fuel in the exhaust, which they believe is due to my PV3 tune. The tune is one for increased RPM, the fan turns on sooner, etc, it's just for a Talon with an air intake. I will revert this back to the stock tune until my turbo kit comes in (mid/end of April).

They also found my air filter was missing 3 bolts, they state they probably came loose and fell outwards (not into the engine or they would have seen it in the cylinder scope).

They're going to handle two recalls, one was to replace the caliper bolts, the other was something with the air intake. I should be able to pick it up Friday, awaiting parts currently.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dude once you get away from stock everything changes.God only knows what your fuel curve is.Your 10 min warm up could change to 20 min.Now you are into tuning.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!