Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn’t do extended warranty. It hasn’t worked out that well for most that needed it and being a Honda it’s just not needed very often. I’d bet if a poll was taken 99% would say they were glad they didn’t have it or wish they hadn’t bought it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought it on my first pioneer and never needed it. I didn't bother buying it for the second one. Plus they jacked the prices up quite a lot. Rumor was they had to pay a lot out in some warranty work on the Gold wing and they were trying to recoup the cost with other warranty sales.

Reactions: TxDoc
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought one price was very reasonable but never needed it. I think it is cheap insurance.

Reactions: TxDoc
J

JJC2585

Dec 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve brought it with the first Honda 700 pioneer motor started smoking I carried it in the machine was hardly used and they told me since we never carried it in to do the oil changes because we do it ourselves that it wouldn’t be covered. Sound like I got a good screw-in. 2200 hundred dollars later and I’ve done spent around 35000 dollars with this dealer in the last 10 years. Needless to say I swapped dealers

R

rickoshea

i always get extended warranty,especially with a 30 k machine that gets thrashed on a regular basis.my truck extended warranty paid for itself several times over.i use it to pull my boat and carry a camper down forest service roads and it takes a lot of abuse,and we wander waaaay off the beaten track.i'm in that 1% that never leaves home without it,it's like having BCAA (your AAA).to me personally,it's worth every penny whether i use it or not.

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok well I just pulled the trigger on a p1k-5. $1k for 4 years after manufacture warranty. The tranny is the factor that I think of the most. We don’t ride that hard. But what if it a lemon? We only drive it around 300 miles a year.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok well I just pulled the trigger on a p1k-5. $1k for 4 years after manufacture warranty. The tranny is the factor that I think of the most. We don’t ride that hard. But what if it a lemon? We only drive it around 300 miles a year.
So you bought a warranty for 1500 miles of driving.

advertisement
Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No I didn’t buy one. Sorry I meant to ask the question is it worth it?? How likely is it that the tenant will fail? I.e clutches

Reactions: Mudwing
Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a Polaris general prior to the pioneer. I had it for 3 years with 800 miles on it. Hit a rock and bent an A-arm and another rock that bent my rotor. Which I didn’t catch in time and it wore threw the pad, shoe and junked the caliper. Still didn’t add up to $1k. But I wasn’t worried about a transmission. So do you think it’s worth having. For sake of a tranny going bad?

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only you can be the judge of whether you need a warrant. Your problems with the General are not warranty issues. That is a result of trail hazards. If you got them covered, consider yourself lucky. The transmission on these are very reliable as long as you follow some basic rules.
1. if you plan on using a winch in deep mud, adding lots of lights and a stereo, get a second battery setup. The trans relies on proper battery voltage. If the buggy stays stock, the single battery is fine as long as it is stored properly when not in use. If you constantly ride with a half depleted battery, your going to have issues.
2. Don’t pulling someone out of the mud while in revers. It’s hard on the clutch packs.
3 If you riding real slow, uphill, and or crawling, put the buggy in low.
If you use common sense and keep an eye on your maintenance, you’ll be just fine. If I owned a Polaris or a Can Am, I would have a big warranty hands down. If your only using the buggy 300 miles a year, you biggest concerns aregoing to be fuel going bad while sitting and the battery going flat or low in charge. Keep an eye on both.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you enter into an extended warranty agreement, they're betting (hoping) that any covered defects that may arise don't exceed the price of the plan. You are betting (hoping) that you get the most out of the price you paid for your warranty. (I.E. a blown head gasket etc). There is no way to know if it is "worth it". It's like asking if buying lottery tickets are worth it. What I liked about my extended warranty is the fact that in 2016, the price was $640.00 for a total of 3 extra years (4 years total) with NO mileage/hours limitation. After Honda realised they had a clutch problem on their hands, the price skyrocketed to (I think) over $1000.00. Time has shown that the clutch issue turned out to be the only real expensive bug with this model. They have since corrected this issue and clutch failures are all but nonexistent. FWIW... if I were buying an unused 2020 P1K to drive only 300 miles per year, I'd forego the extended warranty. If there are any defects in your particular unit, they'll very likely manifest themselves within the one year manufacturer's warranty.
P.S. If you do decide to get the extended warranty, I'd recommend you go with the Honda warranty instead of an aftermarket warranty that your dealer may try to push on you. Good luck!!!

Edit: I don't know if this is still the case, but when I bought my machine, I didn't have to decide at that time whether or not I wanted the extended warranty, as long as I acted on it before the standard one year Honda warranty expired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaccatdaddy
Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
yes It was one of those aftermarket ones
“ said it covers eveything to the CV boots”
I’m going to pass on it.

Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!