HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My P1K3 will be one year old at the end of the month and has a little under 1700 miles on the odometer. It's a black top queen, never on the trails and has received all scheduled service by the selling dealer. Chances of a mechanical failure are remote.

I have to buy an extended warranty in the next week or forget about it. I'm leaning toward forgetting about it but thought I would ask:

Has anyone purchased a Honda (not aftermarket) brand four year extended warranty at a good price? I'd like to hear about it if you have.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My P1K3 will be one year old at the end of the month and has a little under 1700 miles on the odometer. It's a black top queen, never on the trails and has received all scheduled service by the selling dealer. Chances of a mechanical failure are remote.

I have to buy an extended warranty in the next week or forget about it. I'm leaning toward forgetting about it but thought I would ask:

Has anyone purchased a Honda (not aftermarket) brand four year extended warranty at a good price? I'd like to hear about it if you have.
I can't speak personally about the Honda warranty for the Pioneer, but what I can tell you is that, from what I've read here, the vast majority of things that "go wrong" with the Pioneer are NOT covered under that OEM warranty.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like your machine is treated well. Skip it. They wouldn't sell extended warranty if they weren't making money. Keep up with the service and it will give you many years. Just my opinion.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. I've had the opposite experience.

I had a 2010 Honda Goldwing I purchased new. I also purchased the 48 month Honda extended warranty. With 93,000 miles on the odometer in less than five years the electric reverse and cruise control suddenly failed. For those not familiar, Honda Goldwimgs use the electric starter motor to reverse the heavy machine. A complicates set of relays determines 1) engine running: 2) transmission in neutral; and 3) machine not in motion. One of those components failed and took out a string of components. Honda had not previously seen the problem.

The tech worked on my Goldwing off and on, coordinating with Honda HQ in Los Angeles, replacing another new part each week, for six weeks as they discussed and agreed on the next part to replace and then it was shipped and received.

The dealer's shop probably had 40 - 60 hours of labor and a string of new parts in the job when it was repaired. I don't remember now if I paid $100 or $000 for the repair.

My Goldwing had been serviced every 4,000 miles since new and the Goldwing tech knew me and how rode it and took care of it so there was no question about neglect or abuse.

Honda's warranty is absolutely 100% reliable. It will cover any legitimate part failure not caused by abuse or neglect.

Perhaps the stories you've heard involved failures caused by abuse ore neglect or the so-called "warranty" was actually a rip-off no-name aftermarket warranty. I wouldn't pay a thin dime for an aftermarket warranty.

I'm a believer in Honda warranties but am not sure I'm ever going to need a warranty on my Pioneer.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I purchased the full at time of machine purchase. considered waiting 11 mos or so, but just pulled trigger. Like most insurance or warranty - it was a toss up. But I figure if I have warranty and don't need, that's better than not having it and wishing I did. I wont abuse mine either -or dont plan to haha, and will service regularly. Dealer sold it to me for 900 as i recall, rather than the advertised honda $1200 or whatever it was. I've heard the warranty is only as good as the dealer you take it too also. as they will be ones communicating with honda, and will be your advocate or not.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I can appreciate that. I did clearly state that this wasn't MY personal experience, but those I had read about. Wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't worth it.

That said, I've purchased at LEAST 14 new cars/trucks over the past ~16 years and at least half a dozen motorcycles/ATVs. I've never had a reason to regret NOT buying an OEM extended warranty. Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe I do all my due diligence up front and only buy reliable machines. Hoping this Pioneer P1K5 continues the trend! :)

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a believer in Honda warranties but am not sure I'm ever going to need a warranty on my Pioneer.

No disrespect . . . but then why ask?

Consumer Reports, and lots of others, say extended warranties are not a good buy. And how could they be? The companies have to make a profit so they must charge more than what repairs cost them. That, and there's most often a commission to be paid for selling the warranty in the first place.

If you are risk averse, and don't mind spending significantly more money, on average, than you would for any needed repairs, then go for it.

Oh, and don't forget, "Sorry, that's not covered"! :)

Reactions: Lady01
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just dropped my Talon off at the dealer. The low gear is out and will not engage. The service tech told me that Honda will not warranty the sub transmission any more. Honda says that it is user error that is causing the failure. Honda will not even discuss the issue unless I sign a consent to dismantle the sub transmission and send Honda pictures of the parts. Then they will most likely deny the warranty and I will be stuck with the full bill to repair or pay the dealer for dismantling my Talon and return it to me in a box. They quoted $1200 for the repair. $570 of that is parts. I just spent $1200 for an extended warranty for these issues.
The above is a a great current example posted today in another thread.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
"I just dropped my Talon off at the dealer. The low gear is out and will not engage. The service tech told me that Honda will not warranty the sub transmission any more. Honda says that it is user error that is causing the failure. Honda will not even discuss the issue unless I sign a consent to dismantle the sub transmission and send Honda pictures of the parts. Then they will most likely deny the warranty and I will be stuck with the full bill to repair or pay the dealer for dismantling my Talon and return it to me in a box. They quoted $1200 for the repair. $570 of that is parts. I just spent $1200 for an extended warranty for these issues."

I see that story as a good example of the misinformation wrongly criticizing Honda common on some websites.

Let's examine what that owner wrote:

1. I had some experience with a new 2020 Talon I bought and then sold after a few months. Some Talons required care when shifting into H (High range). If I didn't pull the shifter back into H with a deliberate move and then pause briefly first gear would not be fully engaged and if I applied throttle the gears would grind but not engage. If the driver doesn't pay attention and shift into gear with care a failure is likely. I never took my Talon back to the dealer (HondaProKevin @ Chattanooga) and don't know if the issue could have been corrected with cable adjustments. it sounds like this owner had the same condition and didn't always ensure first gear was fully engaged before applying throttle.

2. First gear is in the DCT not the sub-transmission. Why disassemble the sub-transmission? Either the service writer, service tech, or owner was confused.

3. Of course the dealer service department would not perform tear down and inspection unless the owner signed the work order. No car, truck, or motorsports dealer or manufacturer will guarantee a repair will be covered under warranty prior to tear down and inspection. And no dealer will perform any work unless the owner is responsible for payment if warranty is declined. That's common in all cases. In my experience, Honda stands behind their warranty but Honda is not known for handing out free money. All warranty repairs must be approved by a manager in the service area at Honda HQ in Los Angeles.

4. The Talon owner stated he just paid $1200 for an extended warranty for these issues. If the dealer had already created a written history of that issue prior to purchase of the warranty warranty coverage is not likely because it's a pre-existing condition.. Extended warranties are not maintenance contracts. The language in a warranty is usually precise. The manufacturer agrees to repair or replace oem components that fail in normal service due to defect not wear and tear, abuse, or neglect.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No disrespect . . . but then why ask? . . . . . . (snip) . . . . .
If you read my opening post you should have noted that I did not ask anyone for advice whether to buy a warranty or not. I stated I was leaning toward forgetting about it and a failure is unlikely.

I asked if anyone had recently purchased one at an attractive price. If someone reports buying a HondaCare extended warranty for around $600 - $700 I may buy one.

To be clear - I don't normally buy warranties for anything. I bought one for a Goldwing because a Goldwing with GPS and other bells and whistles is a complex and pricey machine and I knew I was going to be riding a lot of miles. The selling dealership sold me a deep discounted warranty and it turned out to be a smart move.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I can appreciate that. I did clearly state that this wasn't MY personal experience, but those I had read about. Wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't worth it.

That said, I've purchased at LEAST 14 new cars/trucks over the past ~16 years and at least half a dozen motorcycles/ATVs. I've never had a reason to regret NOT buying an OEM extended warranty. Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe I do all my due diligence up front and only buy reliable machines. Hoping this Pioneer P1K5 continues the trend! :)
Yes, you did. I'm not arguing with you or your statement.

There are a LOT of product and warranty complaints circulating on the web. My argument is with many of the people that post them. In many cases they either caused the failure by abuse or neglect or they misunderstand the purpose of a warranty.

J

Joro43

Dec 19, 2021
DFW
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So for those that bought a warranty either at purchase or after how much did you pay for the 5 year?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't think Honda offers a 5 year warranty. I think the original warranty is one year and a four year extension can be purchased.

R

RodRocket

A Warranty is really a planned business risk for both the seller and the buyer. In effect a warranty is just an insurance policy, and a numbers game. An actuary for the seller, in this case, Honda, does a big risk assessment using chance and math. Actuaries are mathematical problem solvers and strategists, and evaluate risk and opportunity.
We, as buyers, have to do the same analysis, but in reverse.
However, on the practical side, what would be nice to know are the statistics: what is the ratio of P1Ks clutch failures over the number sold over a set period, and the different circumstances attributing to the failures.
It seems to me the real significant difference between the Honda SxS and other brands of SXS are the transmissions: the DCT vs the CVT. So, which is considered the better transmission overall in terms of: technology, duty, efficiency, operation, working life, cost of warranty, downtime, cost of repair, and in the end, cost of whole-of-life ownership.
I am banking on the Honda and the Honda DCT, I hope I made the right decision.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I am quite confident you, I, and the rest of us here made the right decision. As long as owners have a basic understanding of the DCT and don't abuse it I'm confident it will provide many years of good service.

I agree with your analysis of a warranty but I prefer to view the decision to buy or not to buy in terms of who will carry the risk.

If I am willing to accept the risk of paying out of pocket for a repair I decline an extended warranty, save the purchase price. If I am risk adverse and prefer to shift the risk to Honda Corp, I can pay the price of an extended warranty.

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!