P1000 Falling out of gear.

A

Alumapro

May 25, 2017
Alberta canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got a 2016 1000-5. This machine is awesome! Love it in every aspect. Have driven many other brands and I must say, for the type of riding/driving and usage I do, it is the best. However...one problem has arisen. If I'm in 4 low or 4 diff lock, say in a mud hole or going up a steep incline with the winch in use. Once I rocker the winch switch the transmission slips out of gear into neutral! As soon as I let off the winch rocker it immediately jumps back into gear! Not very useful in a sticky situation I must say. A small engine mechanic I know suggest I add a second battery. He has ran Honda's most of his life and seems to have found they lack the electrical capacity to run most of their electrical shifting on many models. Not too sure how the DCT works if it is controlled electrically or what? If so, I'll probably add a second battery. Has anyone else had this problem or have any thought?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got a 2016 1000-5. This machine is awesome! Love it in every aspect. Have driven many other brands and I must say, for the type of riding/driving and usage I do, it is the best. However...one problem has arisen. If I'm in 4 low or 4 diff lock, say in a mud hole or going up a steep incline with the winch in use. Once I rocker the winch switch the transmission slips out of gear into neutral! As soon as I let off the winch rocker it immediately jumps back into gear! Not very useful in a sticky situation I must say. A small engine mechanic I know suggest I add a second battery. He has ran Honda's most of his life and seems to have found they lack the electrical capacity to run most of their electrical shifting on many models. Not too sure how the DCT works if it is controlled electrically or what? If so, I'll probably add a second battery. Has anyone else had this problem or have any thought?
It definitely could be electrical, the winch drawing so much it drops out. Haven't heard of it happening to anyone else but certainly is a possibility.

A

Alumapro

May 25, 2017
Alberta canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It definitely could be electrical, the winch drawing so much it drops out. Haven't heard of it happening to anyone else but certainly is a possibility.

I'm definitely open to ideas and this seems to be the most congruent. It's still on warranty, but id rather not waste the dealers time. (Small shop with 2 employees) also a nice guy. He used to be the wrench at this particular shop before taking over. If you have any other ideas please feel free to let me know! Only info I've had on the dual batteries is wire in parallel and use an isolator. Preferably solid state with a low voltage cut out.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm definitely open to ideas and this seems to be the most congruent. It's still on warranty, but id rather not waste the dealers time. (Small shop with 2 employees) also a nice guy. He used to be the wrench at this particular shop before taking over. If you have any other ideas please feel free to let me know! Only info I've had on the dual batteries is wire in parallel and use an isolator. Preferably solid state with a low voltage cut out.
I would try a second battery in parallel on hand just to test if it stays in gear. If it does then do it properly. Here is my setup:
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

A

Alumapro

May 25, 2017
Alberta canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would try a second battery in parallel on hand just to test if it stays in gear. If it does then do it properly. Here is my setup:
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

This is an awesome install! I'll definitely look into it more I detail! I'll keep the li k for when I figure mine out. Two banks of six rockers eh? I like it. That instLl would put some of the avionics installers I known to shame. Very nice.

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
It is 100% a low voltage condition. You need a second battery, and it needs to be isolated. I have gone through this already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you ground the winch? I am running Warn 4500, single battery, and do not experience this. Will be adding second battery soon, but I'll bet it's the winch wiring.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Could be a weak battery. I also think the grounds should be checked. Check the ground on the battery, under the seat and engine. I'll look for a picture of the locations.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
6981e3d1479495615dd848152ad2865d

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Winch ground must run all the way back to the engine.

I know that's what the instructions say but many of us did not do that. I grounded mine to the auxiliary battery which is under the hood.

7a68813738bcafb0c81e150c5b1740a7

My auxiliary battery is grounded straight to the OEM battery and grounded to the frame.

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know that's what the instructions say but many of us did not do that. I grounded mine to the auxiliary battery which is under the hood.

View attachment 44656

My auxiliary battery is grounded straight to the OEM battery and grounded to the frame.
Joey, I think I see an isolator in line with your aux battery. In this case, winching will never effect current to engine/transmission. When running single battery, the ground to the engine for the winch is important. By the way, nice work under the hood.

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Joey, I think I see an isolator in line with your aux battery. In this case, winching will never effect current to engine/transmission. When running single battery, the ground to the engine for the winch is important. By the way, nice work under the hood.
And by the way, I was born and raised in Anniston.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Good eyes! And thanks for compliment but that was a year and half ago. It's now dusty, muddy, and more wires. Looks not near as good. I wanted the winch to pull a little bit stronger. The Odyssey battery would drop under 11 V when winching hard. I added a second solenoid that is activated when the winch is active. The second solenoid is on the far right side and it connects the two batteries but only while the winch is active. That's an older picture and does not show the second solenoid, let me find a more recent picture.....

E9cbef4c2e37acb5e75aedf7e0a9b847

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And by the way, I was born and raised in Anniston.

I lived in oxford for a few years so we may have been neighbors. '95-2000.

Anyway, the isolator is a great idea. All my accessories are separate from the OEM electrical system. Only the winch will allow them to be connected below 12.7v but I've got dual volt meters to monitor the batts.

One other thing, I can't take credit for many of my mods. A lot of them come from this forum.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I lived in oxford for a few years so we may have been neighbors. '95-2000.

Anyway, the isolator is a great idea. All my accessories are separate from the OEM electrical system. Only the winch will allow them to be connected below 12.7v but I've got dual volt meters to monitor the batts.

One other thing, I can't take credit for many of my mods. A lot of them come from this forum.

"Hondasxs.com, we don't come up with many of the ideas you use, we make them better.......then rip them off for ourselves"

A

Alumapro

May 25, 2017
Alberta canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you ground the winch? I am running Warn 4500, single battery, and do not experience this. Will be adding second battery soon, but I'll bet it's the winch wiring.

It was dealer installed proline to pickup. Apparently I need to do some more digging around to be sure. Same setup as you

J

Josepht85

Sep 11, 2016
Ellisville, Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 44656

Joey, what's is your secondary battery hold down made out of. How to you have it mounted. Thanks

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey, what's is your secondary battery hold down made out of. How to you have it mounted. Thanks

I bent piece of metal to fit over the battery. One side slides into a cut out I made....
D8b635885458513c75558ef3143e4e99

The other side is bolted down...
1703870bea828a1110955e6d592cdce9

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!