P1000 Finally got some plowing in

P

pkcal

Mar 6, 2016
Ohio
Well we got hammered with lake effect snow past 24hrs and finally got to put the P1k5 and Denali plow to work. We got about 30" of the white stuff Thurs night thru Friday and being at work I couldn't get to it till this morning.

The Good:
- Powertrain is rock solid....I had said this machine was more sport oriented (switched from a Ranger) but after pounding on it all morning, have to say I'm more impressed than eve.r
- True isolator with new Odyssey battery setup and voltmeters is great. Wet sticky stuff was a ft thick on the plow at some points so the Viper 5k was pulling some juice up/down all morning. No issues and great to be able to monitor voltage across both batteries.
- Extra weight of the P1 is a huge asset moving snow....we had about 6" of heavy slush at the bottom and 2ft of lighter stuff on top and had to take a couple bites at some of the drifts, but it just ate it up.
- High reverse gear is actually a nice asset when plowing lots of back/forth. Ranger was geared way too low.

Couple things I need to work on:
- Need to figure out how to defrost OEM glass windshield. I have one of those cheap 12v blower/light things from Harbor Freight strapped to the base of the windshield but it just can't keep up (I have OEM full roof/no cab and don't want one). Don't really want to add full heater box/blower setup so open to ideas. Has anyone tried an electric rear window defroster kit on the windshield (thin resistance wires)? Wires in my field of vision might drive me nuts but may be an acceptable tradeoff vs. scraping every 5mins while its snowing.
- Need to figure out if a software update can lock the tranny mode in manual/auto (like the '17s) as the fwd/reverse, manual to auto, plow up/down can be a bit of a PITA.
- Need to lengthen the chains from my Ranger and get them on the P1k or add some sand tubes to the bed. With 6ft Denali hanging way out in front and loaded with sticky snow, rear end lightens up a ton backing up hills and machine wants to walk sideways.
- Need a suicide knob on the steering wheel. Had one on the Ranger and just haven't found one for the Pioneer yet.
- Need some high-mounted lighting. Thought the LEDs were high enough to clear the plow even when lifted but not so. Will do a lightbar up under the OEM roof overhang sometime soon.

All in all very pleased. Wasn't sure it would move this much snow but it really did pretty amazing in more snow than I've had to handle all at once.

JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you have one, check with Tractor Supply for the suicide knob. Found mine there and I love it.

P

pkcal

Mar 6, 2016
Ohio
Thx for the tip.....and sorry for the lack of pics/vids, it was pitch black when I got started and completely spaced that folks might like to see the carnage. I'll shoot a few tomorrow as we're getting another 8" tonight so will be back at it in the AM...

Got the chains lengthened and on this morning (two link v-bar)......what a difference they make.....bite right thru whatever is in their way....makes 2 wheel lock like 4wd.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have one, check with Tractor Supply for the suicide knob. Found mine there and I love it.
Beat me to it lol. It's on my wish list as well. I had my light bar mounted under the roof overhang and worked well. Roof is sturdy as they come so I mounted it directly to it. Minimum vibration. People with snow are lucky! Wish it'd come down here for couple days straight. Never know what winter will bring us. As long as it isn't another ice storm lol. And yes pics please!

P

pkcal

Mar 6, 2016
Ohio
Beat me to it lol. It's on my wish list as well. I had my light bar mounted under the roof overhang and worked well. Roof is sturdy as they come so I mounted it directly to it. Minimum vibration. People with snow are lucky! Wish it'd come down here for couple days straight. Never know what winter will bring us. As long as it isn't another ice storm lol. And yes pics please!

Grabbed a few photos this AM.....included one playing around yesterday.....too much snow to pull with the pioneer so had to get the real snow machines out......have to improvise when the boat's in storage and the ski hill hasn't opened up yet.

121216 Snow 121216 Snow2 121216 Snow3

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After reviewing a few of the threads about plowing I see folks saying the p1000 plows pretty well. What I don't see is how much people are actually plowing with it... I've got a 1/2 mile long driveway with two fairly steep hills (9% grade according to my truck) just to get out to the house, and then the parking area, etc. I'm currently plowing it with an f250. Does anyone think the Pioneer would be up to the task? I plowed my old house with a Polaris Sportsman 800 with a 60" plow, but this one has a lot more driveway than that house did.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My driveway is only 150' long and 70' wide with a turn around area that I can turn my GMC Denali around in without backing up, plus 100' to the fuel tanks and around the outside of my shop. Plowed well for me but being in behind a windshield rather than out in the open on a tractor may have jaded my view. I'll be using mine again this year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!