P700 Finally Took Delivery

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Finally got my '17 700 Deluxe today. Wow, I'm juiced. After giving it the once over (tires had 5 psi in them) I took it out several times today and it's really sweet. Everything opens and closes with dampened precision, everything with an efficient purpose, like a Swiss army knife with wheels.

I'd asked for a poly belly pan and they put a metal one on and gave me the standard poly pan that they took off, which I didn't know came on it. I figured poly would bounce back rather than bend if struck-what do you all think? Is the poly one they took off identical to the one on the accessories list?

I also got outside mirrors, wide angle inside mirror and split windshield. I made a mistake ordering the outside mirrors as they interfere with the windshield when it's closed. I took them off-the inside mirror is more than adequate and I think I'll sell the outside mirrors. I also don't have to worry about whacking things with them now.

It's a beautiful day today for December in central Illinois, around 50, clear and calm. My wife and I were comfy and the dogs adjusted almost immediately to riding in the bed. Cruised around 20mph as it shifts into 3rd at 18 and it's quieter, all on smooth streets. Being that the engine is under the front bench seat it supplied some "bun warming", although I'm seriously considering getting the soft side doors and rear window to enclose the entire passenger compartment.

I have the standard front bumper but am considering getting the "cow catcher" style so I can mount a light bar-do any of you have recommendations such as whether to buy standard/aftermarket bumper and led light, type of led light and how many lumens? Would a smaller rear facing led light be handy, like Honda's aimable work light? I want to be able to remove my roof so I don't want to mount the lights on the roof. Looks like the auxiliary switch harness is in my future.

Does anyone make amplified speakers that would allow me to connect to my iPhone via bluetooth or do you have to purchase a head unit? Build separately or purchase as one unit (soundbar)? I've seen some moulded fiberglass enclosures advertised on Amazon by SSV for 6 1/2" speakers that look cool as hell but $210.-sheesh!

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

IMG 0068

Reactions: Tuco69
H

HondaTech

As a former tech, I apologize for the lack of PDI your machine received. If the set-up or pre delivery tech couldn't be bothered to check tire pressure I would 1st alert my salesperson to that fact and 2nd check every other fluid and bolt they installed as well.

I was always confused as to why Honda offered a poly skid plate when these units come with one from factory. Unless the one mentioned in the accessory catalog is thicker or more sturdier. Perhaps it takes the place of the middle metal skid plate that come a factory. Can you take a picture of what they installed or what the bottom of your unit looks like.

Most outside mirrors will be useless, vibrations render them unusable and they'll just catch every limb and flop around.

Just a glance at the picture you provided. I would take a close look at those winch wires on the drivers side. That appears to be the Honda winch kit and they shouldn't be sticking out in the wind like that. Referring back to the 5 psi in your tires I'd look that over as well.

Congrats on the new Pioneer, you'll love it.

Reactions: junior1954
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats on the new machine. I like my side mirrors and they don't vibrate bad at all. Lots of choices out there for sound system, just depends on how much you want to spend.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
As a former tech, I apologize for the lack of PDI your machine received. If the set-up or pre delivery tech couldn't be bothered to check tire pressure I would 1st alert my salesperson to that fact and 2nd check every other fluid and bolt they installed as well.

I was always confused as to why Honda offered a poly skid plate when these units come with one from factory. Unless the one mentioned in the accessory catalog is thicker or more sturdier. Perhaps it takes the place of the middle metal skid plate that come a factory. Can you take a picture of what they installed or what the bottom of your unit looks like.

Most outside mirrors will be useless, vibrations render them unusable and they'll just catch every limb and flop around.

Just a glance at the picture you provided. I would take a close look at those winch wires on the drivers side. That appears to be the Honda winch kit and they shouldn't be sticking out in the wind like that. Referring back to the 5 psi in your tires I'd look that over as well.

I guess poly, in theory, sounds good because it's pliable and bounces back instead of getting dented. It also seems slick which might enable it to slide off things better. According to my salesperson poly pans are fragile compared to metal. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up on the winch wiring! I'm an X-tech myself but have been hobbled by recent back surgery and didn't do the "crawl around" I should have. Saw the sidewalls on the tires sagging so put a gauge on them. I have been totally satisfied with the sales part of my dealer interaction but the kid who delivered the unit didn't even know where to check the oil. The salesman told me he was one of the "tech.s" that installed many of the options. Fortunately I have already purchased the full service manual. If you want anything done right.....

I also have a serious thump from the left rear tire. I don't know if it's a flat spot or a belt let loose but the rim spins true. Only had time to observe it while driving. Got too cold for my old bones.

Reactions: elkguide
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats on the new Beauty
Yes them winch wires do look to be to close to the action.They should be in close to frame.
I like my side mirrors,but yes I have ripped off a couple.Rear view mirror works great too.
They have so many different types of stereos it's not funny.....Bluetooth and water proof is key
Put 10 lbs in them tires and you'll feel better

H

HondaTech

I guess poly, in theory, sounds good because it's pliable and bounces back instead of getting dented. It also seems slick which might enable it to slide off things better. According to my salesperson poly pans are fragile compared to metal. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up on the winch wiring! I'm an X-tech myself but have been hobbled by recent back surgery and didn't do the "crawl around" I should have. Saw the sidewalls on the tires sagging so put a gauge on them. I have been totally satisfied with the sales part of my dealer interaction but the kid who delivered the unit didn't even know where to check the oil. The salesman told me he was one of the "tech.s" that installed many of the options. Fortunately I have already purchased the full service manual. If you want anything done right.....

I also have a serious thump from the left rear tire. I don't know if it's a flat spot or a belt let loose but the rim spins true. Only had time to observe it while driving. Got too cold for my old bones.

These things sit in crates at the warehouse until delivered. I've had several atvs with thumping tires that usually smooth out around the 1st service. In the crate they develop a flat spot from being flat. Probably exacerbated by the fact they didn't pump the tires up while it was there.

Reactions: lee and junior1954
junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
These things sit in crates at the warehouse until delivered. I've had several atvs with thumping tires that usually smooth out around the 1st service. In the crate they develop a flat spot from being flat. Probably exacerbated by the fact they didn't pump the tires up while it was there.

What I probably need is a drive on a nice hot day on some nice hot asphalt.

Reactions: swsebek
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Finally got my '17 700 Deluxe today. Wow, I'm juiced. After giving it the once over (tires had 5 psi in them) I took it out several times today and it's really sweet. Everything opens and closes with dampened precision, everything with an efficient purpose, like a Swiss army knife with wheels.

I'd asked for a poly belly pan and they put a metal one on and gave me the standard poly pan that they took off, which I didn't know came on it. I figured poly would bounce back rather than bend if struck-what do you all think? Is the poly one they took off identical to the one on the accessories list?

I also got outside mirrors, wide angle inside mirror and split windshield. I made a mistake ordering the outside mirrors as they interfere with the windshield when it's closed. I took them off-the inside mirror is more than adequate and I think I'll sell the outside mirrors. I also don't have to worry about whacking things with them now.

It's a beautiful day today for December in central Illinois, around 50, clear and calm. My wife and I were comfy and the dogs adjusted almost immediately to riding in the bed. Cruised around 20mph as it shifts into 3rd at 18 and it's quieter, all on smooth streets. Being that the engine is under the front bench seat it supplied some "bun warming", although I'm seriously considering getting the soft side doors and rear window to enclose the entire passenger compartment.

I have the standard front bumper but am considering getting the "cow catcher" style so I can mount a light bar-do any of you have recommendations such as whether to buy standard/aftermarket bumper and led light, type of led light and how many lumens? Would a smaller rear facing led light be handy, like Honda's aimable work light? I want to be able to remove my roof so I don't want to mount the lights on the roof. Looks like the auxiliary switch harness is in my future.

Does anyone make amplified speakers that would allow me to connect to my iPhone via bluetooth or do you have to purchase a head unit? Build separately or purchase as one unit (soundbar)? I've seen some moulded fiberglass enclosures advertised on Amazon by SSV for 6 1/2" speakers that look cool as hell but $210.-sheesh!

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

View attachment 59969
Very nice, enjoy!

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Christmas came early for you lol. Congrats on a sharp looking machine.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Former Honda Tech? Is this something new? I wish you the best in your endeavors!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sweet looking machine.

ENJOY the ride.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Former Honda Tech? Is this something new? I wish you the best in your endeavors!
Not Honda Tech. I've got certifications from BMW (cars), Ford (cars) and GM (RV's back in the '70's). Has been many moons since I turned a wrench for a living. Nice to be able to own something I can work on without a $40,000. diagnostic computer! I'm a big Honda fan for power equipment (their cars are nice but a little tame) and look forward to owning the 700. Thanks for the well wishes-everyone from this club has been nothing but welcoming and helpful!

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks, again Smitty for the heads-up on the winch wiring. At a glance, it appears that the power lead connects to the winch in such a way that the wiring would still have do be routed on the outside of the frame, exposed to the wheel well. I plan on loosening the nuts attaching the wires and positioning them in such a way that I can zip-tie them closer to the frame rail to minimize the possibility of getting struck/yanked. Should these wires be routed on the inside of the frame? I don't know if the wire is long enough. I'm at a different location than the 700 until after Christmas.

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats & Welcome from Missouri.
We bought the same rig earlier this year and love it so far.
Do like I did and read through the forum here. You'll learn your answers and even answers to questions you didn't know to ask. You'll also learn there's way more accessories and mods than you think you wanted lol

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!