P1000 Fire pioneer 1000-3

I

illusiveaudio

Dec 14, 2016
Vero Beach, Florida (US)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 a month or so ago, on the third time I took it out it caught fire and burn to the ground. I had not even gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas and rode it on dirt roads. I felt heat from the seat and on my back, I turn around and saw flames coming up from the back. I jumped out and ran to the back and tried to put it out by dumping my cooler on it. That didn't work and I saw the grass was on fire, so I jumped back in and gunned it. I got back out and saw that the fire was following the bike. 2 minutes later I had to run from the bike cause the fire was so bad. Has anyone had problems like this?

28040 d6193407b5c75ca47a9ede5580718128 28039 2aa4513e10c9a403f35f39abbc63eb13

28038 9ebda3acf53f5bb97ce9514102aa79ce 28037 c634ae7ce053812f6e4ed228e74a63b0

28036 e7d0e02823a8946ae2a4e0d5e815dad1

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 a month or so ago, on the third time I took it out it caught fire and burn to the ground. I had not even gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas and rode it on dirt roads. I felt heat from the seat and on my back, I turn around and saw flames coming up from the back. I jumped out and ran to the back and tried to put it out by dumping my cooler on it. That didn't work and I saw the grass was on fire, so I jumped back in and gunned it. I got back out and saw that the fire was following the bike. 2 minutes later I had to run from the bike cause the fire was so bad. Has anyone had problems like this?

View attachment 28513 View attachment 28514

View attachment 28515 View attachment 28516

View attachment 28517
Your brave to take the time to pour a cooler on it to put it out being that there is a gas tank right there. You must have had practice from owning a polaris.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Man. I'm sorry to see this happen. As far as I know this is the first report of one burning up like this. Any idea what caused it.

I hope you had insurance on it. Also have you contacted Honda to inform them.

Please update us on everything.
Thanks.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow! That sucks. Pretty big kahunas to jump back in and keep driving. From your description the fire was following you it almost sounds like a fuel leak. This is definitely a first that I've heard. I hope you had it insured, and I would definitely let Honda know about this.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
First one I've heard of. Agree with Ak here maybe loose fuel line. I'm sorry for your loss as well hopefully you're covered and things work out please keep us updated if you would

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I know Can Am had a recall on the commanders because grass was getting wedged in between the motor and exhaust and starting fires. Might be a shot in the dark, but I would seriously look into something like that considering how tall the grass is. If that is the case, then Honda ought to step up and provide a new one. I know a few first second and third year commanders burned like this, and Can Am, issued a recall and took care of those owners.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks to me like it got too hot..
Captain obvious

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 28517
first time I've seen a pioneer do that... sorry about your luck bro. hope insurance takes care of you.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 28517
Crazy. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
I

illusiveaudio

Dec 14, 2016
Vero Beach, Florida (US)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I contacted Honda and they came out and looked at it. Honda said that since they can not see what happened (cause there was nothing left, duh fire + plastic & rubber = nothing left) that they are not going to anything for me. I thought I was insured, but come to find I was not. I know the pioneer 700 had problems. I know that the pioneer 1000 have a problem with heat on the seat and Honda told me so. I know it was not because of something I did cause the sxs was the same as when I left the dealer. I was going to use it for work plus why would I burn it down when I like the bike. I had around 60 - 70 rounds of ammo with my guns so it also started to go off. I know one thing I will never buy another Honda and I have own a lot of them, cause as of right now, they are not stand behind they product. Very disappointed in Honda

J

JTW

You thought you had insurance? What happened there? Where did you keep your Pioneer when parked.. outside, garage, barn?

Ps.. this really sucks!! Any ideas why? I'm just guessing grass or something built up and ignited from the manifolds.

J

JTW

What did your ride look like BEFORE it got too hot?
What kind of rifle and scope did that use to be?
Where did you take it the first two times, what kind of riding were you doing?

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Honda does not want to be liable for that! And with rifle and ammo burning up Honda is scared. Just sit tight more might catch fire and burn like yours if so Honda will have to step up. I have never seen a Honda burn up like that. But I would think not as many PK3 have been sold as the PK5 so time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I contacted Honda and they came out and looked at it. Honda said that since they can not see what happened (cause there was nothing left, duh fire + plastic & rubber = nothing left) that they are not going to anything for me. I thought I was insured, but come to find I was not. I know the pioneer 700 had problems. I know that the pioneer 1000 have a problem with heat on the seat and Honda told me so. I know it was not because of something I did cause the sxs was the same as when I left the dealer. I was going to use it for work plus why would I burn it down when I like the bike. I had around 60 - 70 rounds of ammo with my guns so it also started to go off. I know one thing I will never buy another Honda and I have own a lot of them, cause as of right now, they are not stand behind they product. Very disappointed in Honda
Really sounds to me like something got overlooked at the factory and being that new I'd think they'd take care of it unless there is more to the story. I'm truly sorry something like this happened it just sucks to lose something that you've worked hard on to achieve so I can understand some resentment. Again really sorry!

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I would have my attorney draft a letter. You may get a better response. Worth a try to save 18k in money.
Well... I don't know about my attorney, but the ex wife's attorney would probably own Honda considering how much I pay her :p but in all seriousness yes get a lawyer involved, what's the worse that could happen if Honda won't stand behind it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!