P1000 Fire pioneer 1000-3

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a lot of things about this that don't add up.
Crash and burn

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought I had insurance, but the lady I deal with her father was sick and died so she never did it. I had a bunch of thing insured by them.
I had no reason to think that I didn't have insurance. even if I had insurance there is no way that the insurance company would just eat a 3 week old SxS that was 17k. I am sure that the insurance company would have gone after Honda. insurance companies do not like to pay out money if their a chance it was someone else's fault. second why would I ever think that this would happen the bike was brand new and in perfect condition
Insurance I believe would have paid. It's no different then a car having same issue. I lost a car due to fire once and had deductible not been so much on a cheap car I would have been ok. They do cover things. I do know that's the first time I've seen a Honda like that so until others have a problem there won't be any help there. Some things seem fishy here to me. If it were a loose line or something along those lines I'm very sorry.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You started this thread and you're leaving unanswered questions??????

I decided to search for Honda Pioneer 1000 fires. I found this same thing in two other places - both Polaris forums - and both the original posts were made on the same day as this one. I found nothing else about P1Ks catching fire.

The first made by someone with a handle called "Rockit401"...

Honda Pioneer 1000 Fire - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum

The second made by someone with a handle called "rocknroll"...

Honda Pioneer 1000 Fire

Both only have the same two pictures, with none of the follow-up.

Could the OP of this, "illusiveaudio", and the OPs of the above posts on other forums be the same person?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I decided to search for Honda Pioneer 1000 fires. I found this same thing in two other places - both Polaris forums - and both the original posts were made on the same day as this one. I found nothing else about P1Ks catching fire.

Honda Pioneer 1000 Fire

Could the OP of this, "illusiveaudio", and the OPs of the above posts on other forums be the same person?
Hmm! Let's see if he comes back around to answer these questions! Good detective work AK!!!!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Honda Pioneer 1000 Fire

AK that's really good work. Wonder if it's a sacrificial lamb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Honda Pioneer 1000 Fire

Actually those are alias's of @hondarock , aka Viker (Wolverine forum).

No insult intended but he is a very big Polaris fan (with the resulting bias)and he will latch on to any news of non-Polaris vehicle problems as evidence of "everyone has problems just like Polaris". Not unlike the propensity of members of the Honda forum pointing out problems with other brands of units. It happens...

I am not sure Rockit is the same but I would surmise that is is likely the same person since the post is identical and his location is Western Ky which I have gathered is the location of hondarock based on posts here and on the Wolverine forum. (Familiarity with Abernathy's and mentioning local to him used Pioneers in the area.)

No, I don't stalk people but I have a penchant for pattern recognition and a pet peeve about cross posting forums under different alias's.

It can give a false representation of anecdotes that some people think of as data.

While it is possible that the OP is the same person, it is highly unlikely as the writing style and syntax is completely different.

I think there is more to the story with the OP that isn't being divulged.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually those are alias's of @hondarock , aka Viker (Wolverine forum).

No insult intended but he is a very big Polaris fan (with the resulting bias)and he will latch on to any news of non-Polaris vehicle problems as evidence of "everyone has problems just like Polaris". Not unlike the propensity of members of the Honda forum pointing out problems with other brands of units. It happens...

I am not sure Rockit is the same but I would surmise that is is likely the same person since the post is identical and his location is Western Ky which I have gathered is the location of hondarock based on posts here and on the Wolverine forum. (Familiarity with Abernathy's and mentioning local to him used Pioneers in the area.)

No, I don't stalk people but I have a penchant for pattern recognition and a pet peeve about cross posting forums under different alias's.

It can give a false representation of anecdotes that some people think of as data.

While it is possible that the OP is the same person, it is highly unlikely as the writing style and syntax is completely different.

I think there is more to the story with the OP that isn't being divulged.

That's what I'm wondering. There's too many things about this that just don't make sense.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There's just something fishy about this.

I agree with you. Not saying it didn't happen and if it did like that I'm really glad no one hurt. Most of the problems with this machine either pop up several time or I'm suspicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 a month or so ago, on the third time I took it out it caught fire and burn to the ground. I had not even gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas and rode it on dirt roads. I felt heat from the seat and on my back, I turn around and saw flames coming up from the back. I jumped out and ran to the back and tried to put it out by dumping my cooler on it. That didn't work and I saw the grass was on fire, so I jumped back in and gunned it. I got back out and saw that the fire was following the bike. 2 minutes later I had to run from the bike cause the fire was so bad. Has anyone had problems like this?

View attachment 28513 View attachment 28514

View attachment 28515 View attachment 28516

View attachment 28517

Oddities of the OP:

- "Felt heat an then turned around". Based on my experience, especially in the summer, you wouldn't notice heat that wasn't "normal" until well past the point of no return and way past the point of getting a cooler out of the bed to put it out. :D
- Why are the burn marks only on the cut portion of the road. The drier taller and in my experience much easier to light tall grass was not burned only the green, harder to ignite fuel
-Why is the burn linear in nature but still confined to the road and not the surroundings even though the smoke and the fire demonstrates that the wind was at 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Once a fire starts it will continue to burn outward from the source in the direction of the wind. This fire was apparently contained to a relatively speaking "small" linear area coming towards and away from the camera not in the direction of the wind?
-Why didn't the op drive it into the large lake if he had the opportunity to get back into the vehicle and drive it instead of further down the road?
-Why are the weapons out of the vehicle and next to the unburned portion of the grass? Notice the Remington 770 stock is still burning less than the length of the barrel away from tinder dry grass. Wouldn't these weapons have been in the vehicle superstructure while burning rather than on the right hand side closest to the water?
-And finally as others have noted in the followup pictures, the grass surrounding and growing up through the superstructure is green. While I don't live in Florida, I do live in Tennessee and even the the summer, our grass won't grow back that fast even when just scorched from my hot mower exhaust rather than actually burned.

While it is definitely possible, rather than taking this at face value as a Honda problem, I would use this as a lesson as to why you need to carry a fire extinguisher, clean debris from the hot places of your vehicle, PM all your fuel lines/exhaust manifolds and make sure you have adequate insurance.

ETA:

I would consider the burning of Taurus and the Remington 770 as a blessing. :p

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oddities of the OP:

- "Felt heat an then turned around". Based on my experience, especially in the summer, you wouldn't notice heat that wasn't "normal" until well past the point of no return and way past the point of getting a cooler out of the bed to put it out. :D
- Why are the burn marks only on the cut portion of the road. The drier taller and in my experience much easier to light tall grass was not burned only the green, harder to ignite fuel
-Why is the burn linear in nature but still confined to the road and not the surroundings even though the smoke and the fire demonstrates that the wind was at 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Once a fire starts it will continue to burn outward from the source in the direction of the wind. This fire was apparently contained to a relatively speaking "small" linear area coming towards and away from the camera not in the direction of the wind?
-Why didn't the op drive it into the large lake if he had the opportunity to get back into the vehicle and drive it instead of further down the road?
-Why are the weapons out of the vehicle and next to the unburned portion of the grass? Notice the Remington 770 stock is still burning less than the length of the barrel away from tinder dry grass. Wouldn't these weapons have been in the vehicle superstructure while burning rather than on the right hand side closest to the water?
-And finally as others have noted in the followup pictures, the grass surrounding and growing up through the superstructure is green. While I don't live in Florida, I do live in Tennessee and even the the summer, our grass won't grow back that fast even when just scorched from my hot mower exhaust rather than actually burned.

While it is definitely possible, rather than taking this at face value as a Honda problem, I would use this as a lesson as to why you need to carry a fire extinguisher, clean debris from the hot places of your vehicle, PM all your fuel lines/exhaust manifolds and make sure you have adequate insurance.

ETA:

I would consider the burning of Taurus and the Remington 770 as a blessing. :p

I saw everything you did, but I didn't want to bias anyone into a closed box conversation.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I saw everything you did, but I didn't want to bias anyone into a closed box conversation.
This is a terrible situation.
And iI'm sure you guys can think up lots of unanswered questions for the cause or purpose of the fire. But lets not get too far off track here. This guy is now out $$,$$$. We can at least show some support.
If we continue to dissect his post down to the color of the grass we will never get followup.

We all know the 1000 gets hot, and the right situation can easily result in a fire. The 700 has already proven this.
There is not a machine on the market that is fire proof.
Lets just hope this is an anomaly and the last case of a 1000 fire.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is a terrible situation.
And iI'm sure you guys can think up lots of unanswered questions for the cause or purpose of the fire. But lets not get too far off track here. This guy is now out $$,$$$. We can at least show some support.
If we continue to dissect his post down to the color of the grass we will never get followup.

We all know the 1000 gets hot, and the right situation can easily result in a fire. The 700 has already proven this.
There is not a machine on the market that is fire proof.
Lets just hope this is an anomaly and the last case of a 1000 fire.

I agree. It would really, really suck to be in that position.

However, why would someone assume it was a Honda problem? If there is no evidence of nor history of a manufacturing/design defect of a product why would someone have the expectation that Honda would do anything about it? Is the OP going to contact Taurus and Remington and ask them to do something for him on the rifle and handgun that are now ruined? It would be the same assumption from Honda's point of view. There is no evidence present of a defect, this is the only unit currently known to have burned down, and there are some oddities mentioned above.

I think if the OP could give more info to flesh out exactly what happened it would go a long way towards determining if this was a design defect problem or a one in a million combination of factors that are likely to never be replicated.

I wish the OP luck on trying to recover something but based on my limited observations posted here I don't think he has much of a chance.

Reactions: AKRider
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Whatever happened with this? I saw this thread 2 days after I purchased my p1k and it scared the s*** out of me. Now I do a search for bed latch rattle and see this so click on it to see some updates and its been idle for over a month? I looked at pictures too and the burned grass, then thriving green grass, and really nothing from OP when people started throwing out question...... something weird.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought I had insurance, but the lady I deal with her father was sick and died so she never did it. I had a bunch of thing insured by them.
I had no reason to think that I didn't have insurance. even if I had insurance there is no way that the insurance company would just eat a 3 week old SxS that was 17k. I am sure that the insurance company would have gone after Honda. insurance companies do not like to pay out money if their a chance it was someone else's fault. second why would I ever think that this would happen the bike was brand new and in perfect condition
Listen, 1st of all..I am really sorry for the loss. As a guy who had an issue with his machine as soon as I got it home, I can tell you it is heart wrenching so I am empathetic to your frustration. I also wish you the best for the long road ahead as you try to find a solution to the issue, and attempt to get someone to right the wrong.

2nd I am 100% confident that if you can prove the agent was notified to add insurance for this new purchase, and they failed to do so, they (the agent) is responsible and will have their own professional liability insurance to pay for their screw up. If this unit was financed (even partly) then the financial institution who loaned you the money would REQUIRE proof of insurance on the product. If this is the case, sounds like your agent dropped the ball and you have a right to contact your State Office of Financial & Insurance Services (or similarly named). Each state has a department which overlooks all banking and insurance services, and when the customer has been wronged, can step in and file a claim against said bank or insurance office. (I had 15 years in this department and several years as a part time police officer/ firefighter/ emt).

Being a brand new machine has nothing to do with it. Would anyone buy a brand new car and not insure it? Doubtful. Accidents happen, and new lemons are built everyday and shipped off the line. I received my Pioneer with a porous engine cast that leaked oil. Luckily, it was easy to prove, and my dealer went to bat for me resulting with the entire unit being replaced. My original Pioneer was less than a week old with under 20 miles on it. Things happen is all I'm saying, new or not.

I'm sure you don't need anyone preaching to you, but I at least hope the insurance info is helpful and can provide you some relief. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!