BOX1

P1000 Fire pioneer 1000-3

R

Rodney960

Mar 11, 2017
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Out of curiosity, why were the front wheels turn opposite ways? Sorry about your bike.

thevinylcreator

thevinylcreator

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2016
Pleasant Lake, IN
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dang that sucks bad, although thats how it feels under my seat in the summer weather with normal riding, just dont see flames, just feels like it.

M

manassehdurkin

Jul 4, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a Honda pioneer 700 back in November 2016. I have used the machine very little as it mainly sits out on a weekend piece of land. It was just in to Honda Dealer in Dallas Tx for its first oil change/valve adjustment etc. 2 weeks ago. This weekend was the first time I have riden it since. My wife and her friend were driving it smelt burning and all of a sudden there were flames coming out from the seat between them where the seat belt receivers are. It caught the passengers clothes on fire and she was badly burnt on her lower back. From the time they smelt burning until the machine was brought to a stop, and seat belt off was enough time for her to have clothes on fire. Fortunately we had a fire extinguisher and got it out before it went up in flames. Once I got the fire out we opened the bed and there is oil sprayed everywhere. Has any body had this issue before. Is there a recall on this that any body knows about?
P.S.-I know grass can get caught under the machine and catch fire, but I know that was not the case this time bc when Honda serviced the machine they washed it beautifully and there was no debris at all.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This whole thread feels funky to me. Bunch of people joining here, and their first post is to claim their pioneer caught fire? When we have a few dozen members with probably half a million combined miles and not one fire... Smells trollish to me.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This whole thread feels funky to me. Bunch of people joining here, and their first post is to claim their pioneer caught fire? When we have a few dozen members with probably half a million combined miles and not one fire... Smells trollish to me.
Mine lights up every time I turn the ignition switch on, then it's Katie bar the door! What a fire!

Reactions: drfubar
H

HondaTech

We had a very similar problem but the unit never caught fire. Customer had left unit in barn for couple weeks and came to it one day, rode for what they said was maybe 30 minutes and saw smoke. They shut the unit off and brought it to us, we had just serviced it as well and they thought something was wrong. Turns out in the 2 weeks it had been left a squirrel had built a nest around the enigne/exhaust and it was burning. This was before the skid plate recall, but it could still happen. Take a minute and look over your unit before riding. Most problems can be found then by looking over unit and then letting it idle and looking it over again. Listen, look and even smell for stuff, youll be surprised what youll find.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I bought a Honda pioneer 700 back in November 2016. I have used the machine very little as it mainly sits out on a weekend piece of land. It was just in to Honda Dealer in Dallas Tx for its first oil change/valve adjustment etc. 2 weeks ago. This weekend was the first time I have riden it since. My wife and her friend were driving it smelt burning and all of a sudden there were flames coming out from the seat between them where the seat belt receivers are. It caught the passengers clothes on fire and she was badly burnt on her lower back. From the time they smelt burning until the machine was brought to a stop, and seat belt off was enough time for her to have clothes on fire. Fortunately we had a fire extinguisher and got it out before it went up in flames. Once I got the fire out we opened the bed and there is oil sprayed everywhere. Has any body had this issue before. Is there a recall on this that any body knows about?
P.S.-I know grass can get caught under the machine and catch fire, but I know that was not the case this time bc when Honda serviced the machine they washed it beautifully and there was no debris at all.
Glad nobody was hurt. Usaually only Polaris gets this rap. What now?????

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We had a very similar problem but the unit never caught fire. Customer had left unit in barn for couple weeks and came to it one day, rode for what they said was maybe 30 minutes and saw smoke. They shut the unit off and brought it to us, we had just serviced it as well and they thought something was wrong. Turns out in the 2 weeks it had been left a squirrel had built a nest around the enigne/exhaust and it was burning. This was before the skid plate recall, but it could still happen. Take a minute and look over your unit before riding. Most problems can be found then by looking over unit and then letting it idle and looking it over again. Listen, look and even smell for stuff, youll be surprised what youll find.
A squirrel drives mine and he has big teeth

R

renoone

Jul 5, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A squirrel drives mine and he has big teeth
Dang! I thought your were going to say big nuts!

The no insurance thing is very hard to grasp. Plus mine is covered from the time I bought it. How else would I haul it home from the dealer and be covered. I call my agent the next day. Then get an email confirmation so I have it in writing. Nothing I buy is without coverage for a minute. Honda is not at fault, you are!

Plus, like others have said, this story is fishy.

Last edited:
Reactions: moparornocar
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't rule any of these fires out.
Under the right conditions, they will all burn. Just some brands burn better than others.
Doesn't mean a Honda's are fire proof.

@manassehdurkin, Welcome to the club.
I'm sorry to hear about this. As for oil splatter on the 700 that has to be something out of the norm.
But, I was riding with a 700 guy and his valve cover came off. Seems dealer forgot to tighten the bolts, oil everywhere! SMH

Still, would like a follow-up post once you find the reasoning.

And, I hope the girl is ok. I'm sorry to hear she got burned fairly badly.

J

Jenna2016

Jul 7, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I found this guy post in another SXS group and now here ! I have been googling 2016 Pioneer 1000 fires !!!! We purchased our SXS on March 2nd 2017 with Honda Financial services. We bought the extended warranty , but no insurance was offered. Our Honda burnt down July 4th and we just made our 3rd payment. We were looking into getting insurance, but had not got it yet ! So we are waiting to hear back from Honda, but basically because it burnt completely down we will probably be screwed. We are very upset including my kids. Thank God we were not on the UTV when this happened. We had rode it for about 15 minutes total that morning (NORMAL RIDING). I hope for our sake that Honda will back us up. By the time the fire department arrived it was completely burnt to the frame. Now if this Illisiveadudio person would please message me , I would like to know what happened with your outcome. I have never been in these clubs and do not do them! Just facebook groups, but I need answers!!!!

[HASHTAG]#Will[/HASHTAG] never own nothing again without insurance first !!!!

Reactions: knuckledeep
J

Jenna2016

Jul 7, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda's don't burn. ;)
19598553 1499906726699346 4749375864642774948 n

I wish I could agree !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JTW
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I found this guy post in another SXS group and now here ! I have been googling 2016 Pioneer 1000 fires !!!! We purchased our SXS on March 2nd 2017 with Honda Financial services. We bought the extended warranty , but no insurance was offered. Our Honda burnt down July 4th and we just made our 3rd payment. We were looking into getting insurance, but had not got it yet ! So we are waiting to hear back from Honda, but basically because it burnt completely down we will probably be screwed. We are very upset including my kids. Thank God we were not on the UTV when this happened. We had rode it for about 15 minutes total that morning (NORMAL RIDING). I hope for our sake that Honda will back us up. By the time the fire department arrived it was completely burnt to the frame. Now if this Illisiveadudio person would please message me , I would like to know what happened with your outcome. I have never been in these clubs and do not do them! Just facebook groups, but I need answers!!!!

[HASHTAG]#Will[/HASHTAG] never own nothing again without insurance first !!!!

Were you riding in grass/weeds possibly?

15 min isn't a lot of riding for it to get hot enough for grass to catch fire.

But yes, you should ALWAYS have insurance, just like a car or motorcycle.

Make sure you investigate your current auto insurance. I know mine has a provision that I am covered for 30 days after a purchase even if I haven't called and added it to the insured vehicle list. My insurance is through Farm Bureau. You should check and see if you have similar coverage, although with it being since March 3rd, you are likely outside the insurance window. But it doesn't hurt to check.

Glad no one got injured.

Best of luck with Honda covering it.

J

Jenna2016

Jul 7, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Were you riding in grass/weeds possibly?

15 min isn't a lot of riding for it to get hot enough for grass to catch fire.

But yes, you should ALWAYS have insurance, just like a car or motorcycle.

Make sure you investigate your current auto insurance. I know mine has a provision that I am covered for 30 days after a purchase even if I haven't called and added it to the insured vehicle list. My insurance is through Farm Bureau. You should check and see if you have similar coverage, although with it being since March 3rd, you are likely outside the insurance window. But it doesn't hurt to check.

Glad no one got injured.

Best of luck with Honda covering it.

No mainly dirt roads !!! It crazy, I have no clue why this happened, but I am so upset. Thanks, I will call my insurance and ask !!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!