First diesel purchase

H

HondaTech

I'll have owned my 2017 Diesel Cruze 6 years in April of this year. Its got 206k miles and owes ne nothing at this point.

Here in the last month once of the egr temp sensors has failed, I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. Other than that and maintenance (tires, brakes, oil/filters) I haven't done anything to it. It needs struts and rear brakes atm as well, but I cant fault it.

Oh, I almost forgot about the third brake light cracked and I replaced it. But for under $30k otd when new, it's served me well, I'm hoping for 300k!

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll have owned my 2017 Diesel Cruze 6 years in April of this year. Its got 206k miles and owes ne nothing at this point.

Here in the last month once of the egr temp sensors has failed, I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. Other than that and maintenance (tires, brakes, oil/filters) I haven't done anything to it. It needs struts and rear brakes atm as well, but I cant fault it.

Oh, I almost forgot about the third brake light cracked and I replaced it. But for under $30k otd when new, it's served me well, I'm hoping for 300k!
What size vehicle is this? Do you ever work it hard or is it just a daily driver?

H

HondaTech

What size vehicle is this? Do you ever work it hard or is it just a daily driver?
It's a 4 door sedan that i drive to work 164 mile round trip every day.
Snapchat 631032941

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The daughter had a diesel Jetta and now has a Passat. The Jetta got better mileage, close to 50 mpg, the Passat only gets around 41 mpg. She drives like an Indy car driver too!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Truck Norris is officially up for sale. I can't drive 3 trucks and I can't justify 3 trucks. Especially when 2 of them are now cummins and much more usable.

IMG20230113155546

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I love diesel engines. They're stronger, more durable and good for hundreds of thousands of miles, and more economical than gasoline. It's sad that our stupid government punishes diesel power. Misguided regulations, excessive emission standards, higher taxes on diesel fuel, whatever dumb ideas the leftists can dream up.

Ii owned a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI with 2.0 liter turbodiesel that would cruise all day at 80 mph producing 40 mpg, an Audi Q5 TDI with the 3 liter V6 that was fast and would provide 30 mpg, and three Dodge Rams w/Cummins engines. Plus two Kubota tractors with tiny but torquey 3 cylinder diesels.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's for sale why don't you describe it?

This was my wife's description she came up for it. She asked me what things I have done to it and I gave her a list. It is located in central MO. I am attempting to get $6500.

Channel your inner Chuck Norris with this Walker Texas Ranger throwback. Bring a little fight to the daily grind in your true 6" lifted (no spacers or blocks) 1500 with 4.56 gears, 16x10 wheels and 35" tires(with corrected speedometer). Administer your own brand of justice comfortably with ac, heat, a JVC Bluetooth radio and a JL sub in custom center console box. This beast will get you in (and out) of wherever you need to go with 4WD, dual steering stabilizer, steering box and black horse racing brace. An adjustable front track bar and white LED headlight bulbs light your way. At only 190k miles this beast has a lot of adventures left in her. She's been through a few rough encounters and it shows with a scrape down the passenger side, a crack in the dash, a tear in the driver seat and a little bit of body rust. Just a little added character. With a clear title and new safety inspection, you're ready to get your hands on the one, the only, Truck Norris.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Your wife is an excellent writer.

How about the basics? Year, make and model, engine, transmission, miles, condition?

Ram model ie SLT, Laramie, or ??? engine ie 360 ci gas V8 or 5.7 liter hemi? Cab? Quad or regular. Bed length short or long?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your wife is an excellent writer.

How about the basics? Year, make and model, engine, transmission, miles, condition?

Ram model ie SLT, Laramie, or ??? engine ie 360 ci gas V8 or 5.7 liter hemi? Cab? Quad or regular. Bed length short or long?
Thank you. The basics were covered in her listing above her description.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Magnum 4x4 Extended Cab Short Bed. Base model with crank windows and rubber floor. 190k miles.

We are selling because this truck just sits. It is rare I drive it since I got the black cummins. The black cummins is so much smoother, comfortable, and fast. Now that I have the red cummins the brown ram will most likely never be driven unless someone else owns it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will ask this here just in case someone might know.

Would anyone mind helping me confirm this injector? I assume it's a stock size Bosch. I got a P2146 this morning. I checked the injector harness and had resistance from end to end at 0.3 to 0.7 I checked the injector and have 2.7 between the leads. The other 5 injectors all read 0.6 this is a new to me used truck. I am being cheap on this one and want to replace the single injector. From what I can see truck is all stock except for aftermarket exhaust. 2006 dodge ram 2500 quad cab

I posted that 6 hours ago on cumminsforums and have not gotten any response.

IMG20230130123039

Reactions: Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spoke with injectorsdirect.com today and they confirmed the number in the previous picture is an OE style Bosch but the guy said the way it is printed and laid out is consistent with many Bosch knockoff injectors. The nozzle size is most likely stock because he has not seen a knockoff injector yet that is oversized. So that confirms the injectors have been replaced at some point. I ordered a single injector from injectorsdirect.com and it will be here Monday.

Reactions: Mopower58
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
what Cummins engine? It matters if you're talking about a 12 valve, 24 valve, HPCR 5.9 L or a 6.7L. If it were mine I would purchase a "6 pack" of rebuilt Bosch injectors from a Ram or Cummins dealer. They are not cheap but they are rebuilt by a Bosch expert and selected or calibrated to inject the same volume and spray pattern within very narrow tolerances. They come with a warranty if memory serves.

If the injectors are not balanced, they will spray different volumes of fuel, and may have a different spray pattern. Variances between injectors will result in a rough idle and could result in over fueling which can burn a hole in a piston.

Beware - there are many so-called or self-identified "diesel shops" around the country who claim to be capable of rebuilding injectors. They are most often bs artists. Cummins-Bosch injectors cannot be rebuilt to specs unless the shop has a very expensive Bosch test bench. Perhaps $100k or more.

As you read my post keep in mind - I am not a mechanic. I acquired a base of knowledge of Cummins engines in Ram trucks from owning three of them and putting a combined almost 800,000 miles on them along with being an active member of the TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) and reading the writings of genuine experts. I AM NOT an expert. So take my advice for what it's worth.

I had an old shipmate and friend a few years ago who bought a new '06 Ram 3500 after driving mine. Later, he experienced a rough idle when his truck had some miles. He called me and I told him to buy a $150 "fuel control actuator" which was a common problem in some '06s. Instead, he went to his local farm tractor diesel shop in Springfield, MO. Those clowns told him I was wrong, her needed a "rebuilt injector." They did not have a Bosch test bench but claimed they could rebuild injectors.

Not long after that he called and told me his truck was using more fuel. I warned him his tractor mechanic buddies had sold him a bad injector and it was over fueling and might hole a piston. Once again, he believed the tractor mechanics and bought another injector or a set of fake rebuilt injectors.

A year or so later, pulling a big fifth wheel trailer back from Colorado, he burned a hole in the top of a piston. That cost him thousands of dollars for a rebuilt Cummins engine and labor. And the icing on his cake was the tractor mechanics sold him another set of fake rebuilt injectors which caused a rough idle. He sold the truckd before he holed another pistonh.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what Cummins engine? It matters if you're talking about a 12 valve, 24 valve, HPCR 5.9 L or a 6.7L. If it were mine I would purchase a "6 pack" of rebuilt Bosch injectors from a Ram or Cummins dealer. They are not cheap but they are rebuilt by a Bosch expert and selected or calibrated to inject the same volume and spray pattern within very narrow tolerances. They come with a warranty if memory serves.

If the injectors are not balanced, they will spray different volumes of fuel, and may have a different spray pattern. Variances between injectors will result in a rough idle and could result in over fueling which can burn a hole in a piston.

Beware - there are many so-called or self-identified "diesel shops" around the country who claim to be capable of rebuilding injectors. They are most often bs artists. Cummins-Bosch injectors cannot be rebuilt to specs unless the shop has a very expensive Bosch test bench. Perhaps $100k or more.

As you read my post keep in mind - I am not a mechanic. I acquired a base of knowledge of Cummins engines in Ram trucks from owning three of them and putting a combined almost 800,000 miles on them along with being an active member of the TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) and reading the writings of genuine experts. I AM NOT an expert. So take my advice for what it's worth.

I had an old shipmate and friend a few years ago who bought a new '06 Ram 3500 after driving mine. Later, he experienced a rough idle when his truck had some miles. He called me and I told him to buy a $150 "fuel control actuator" which was a common problem in some '06s. Instead, he went to his local farm tractor diesel shop in Springfield, MO. Those clowns told him I was wrong, her needed a "rebuilt injector." They did not have a Bosch test bench but claimed they could rebuild injectors.

Not long after that he called and told me his truck was using more fuel. I warned him his tractor mechanic buddies had sold him a bad injector and it was over fueling and might hole a piston. Once again, he believed the tractor mechanics and bought another injector or a set of fake rebuilt injectors.

A year or so later, pulling a big fifth wheel trailer back from Colorado, he burned a hole in the top of a piston. That cost him thousands of dollars for a rebuilt Cummins engine and labor. And the icing on his cake was the tractor mechanics sold him another set of fake rebuilt injectors which caused a rough idle. He sold the truckd before he holed another pistonh.
I appreciate your advice. I do most of my own work. I used industrial injectors for my 03 ram. I went overstock size for more fuel on that one. I am looking at keeping the 06 ram stock. The injectorsdirect.com are labeled as authorized rebuilders on the Bosch website so I am hoping they do good work. Both trucks I have are 24v 5.9L cummins.

Reactions: HBarlow
Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

When I worked on them for a living I used a certified Bosch dealer. He also built my Ford 6.9 and 7.3 injection pumps, as well as the numerous 7.3 power stroke injectors I used.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A certified Bosch dealer should be a good source. I've never replaced just one injector so I don't know how you should proceed. I suggest you make sure a replacement injector is a close match for the other five. I don't know if you'll have to exchange all six and buy a matched set or . . . . . ? I would certainly ask the injector shop.

In fact I've never replaced an injector in a Cummins engine because of wear or mechanical failure. I did replace all six in a new engine once which is another story.

@Robobrainiac It's none of my business but let me caution you about "oversized injectors." Oversized injectors will perk a Cummins up but can be dangerous (read expensive). Do you have Boost and EGT gauges?

Let me tell another story. I bought my first ever diesel, an '01 Ram 3500 HO six speed in May 2001. I quickly heard of the TDR magazine and joined the TDR which was a great source of technical knowledge. As it happened, the TDR was holding a rally at a nice RV Park along I-10 near Boerne, TX in June or July so I registered. I attended and met some great people. One was Joe Donnelly, a prominent TDR member, technical writer, holder of a Ph.D. in Chemistry, and a Cummins diesel hotrodder.

Joe delivered a technical presentation at the rally in which he discussed replacing the factory 245hp injectors in the new 2001 Cummins HO enigne with "motor home" 275 hp injectors. I was impressed and spoke with Joe after his lecture. I bought a new set of 275hp injectors and Joe installed them in my Doidge in the parking lot. They made a huge difference in horsepower and acceleration of my Dodge as well as torque and hill-climbing ability when pulling a trailer.

BUT a very important BUT when I floored the throttle in any gear, Exhaust Gas Temperature immediately pegged my EGT gauge @ 1600°. The Cummins uses aluminum pistons. Aluminum melts at a temp above 1300°. The factory tuned engine is carefully tuned so EFT doesn't exceed 1300°.

Oversized injectors over fuel each cylinder at full throttle. If you use full throttle while towing a heavy trailer your EGT is almost certainly moving into a dangerous range. If you're pulling a long hard grade with a heavy trailer in tow you can easily burn a hole in a piston.

Now, after I've got your attention, I put 325,000 miles on that '01 Ram mostly pulling trailers. It was still running strong when I sold it. 150,000 of those miles were accumulated working as an RV transporter for Horizon Transport in Wakarusa, IN. The engine survived because I used judicious throttle and kept my eye on the EGT gauge when I was towing.

If you don't have gauges on the truck with oversized injectors start saving your money for an engine.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A certified Bosch dealer should be a good source. I've never replaced just one injector so I don't know how you should proceed. I suggest you make sure a replacement injector is a close match for the other five. I don't know if you'll have to exchange all six and buy a matched set or . . . . . ? I would certainly ask the injector shop.

In fact I've never replaced an injector in a Cummins engine because of wear or mechanical failure. I did replace all six in a new engine once which is another story.

@Robobrainiac It's none of my business but let me caution you about "oversized injectors." Oversized injectors will perk a Cummins up but can be dangerous (read expensive). Do you have Boost and EGT gauges?

Let me tell another story. I bought my first ever diesel, an '01 Ram 3500 HO six speed in May 2001. I quickly heard of the TDR magazine and joined the TDR which was a great source of technical knowledge. As it happened, the TDR was holding a rally at a nice RV Park along I-10 near Boerne, TX in June or July so I registered. I attended and met some great people. One was Joe Donnelly, a prominent TDR member, technical writer, holder of a Ph.D. in Chemistry, and a Cummins diesel hotrodder.

Joe delivered a technical presentation at the rally in which he discussed replacing the factory 245hp injectors in the new 2001 Cummins HO enigne with "motor home" 275 hp injectors. I was impressed and spoke with Joe after his lecture. I bought a new set of 275hp injectors and Joe installed them in my Doidge in the parking lot. They made a huge difference in horsepower and acceleration of my Dodge as well as torque and hill-climbing ability when pulling a trailer.

BUT a very important BUT when I floored the throttle in any gear, Exhaust Gas Temperature immediately pegged my EGT gauge @ 1600°. The Cummins uses aluminum pistons. Aluminum melts at a temp above 1300°. The factory tuned engine is carefully tuned so EFT doesn't exceed 1300°.

Oversized injectors over fuel each cylinder at full throttle. If you use full throttle while towing a heavy trailer your EGT is almost certainly moving into a dangerous range. If you're pulling a long hard grade with a heavy trailer in tow you can easily burn a hole in a piston.

Now, after I've got your attention, I put 325,000 miles on that '01 Ram mostly pulling trailers. It was still running strong when I sold it. 150,000 of those miles were accumulated working as an RV transporter for Horizon Transport in Wakarusa, IN. The engine survived because I used judicious throttle and kept my eye on the EGT gauge when I was towing.

If you don't have gauges on the truck with oversized injectors start saving your money for an engine.
The 03 ram was my first diesel and I have learned alot doing a ton of research. I have the "smallest" over stock industrial Injection sold. I think it was 13% 60HP injectors. They claimed they are designed to be used with stock fueling/air components and give you a nice bump in power. I also installed the adjustable wastegate/turbo elbow from thoroughbred diesel. Factory boost is around 23PSI. I have it set to 28PSI currently. I use an Edge Evolution as my LCD monitor and I do have the EGT probe with an audible alarm set to 1400F. I have never hit the alarm yet. I race hard thru town for fun but pull easy when I have a trailer. I spent around $2500 on a black Friday sale for the set of injectors on the 03 cummins with lines, tubes, and gaskets. I am not looking to race the 06 truck so I don't want to spend that much on it. Injectors direct has a complete Bosch reman set with tubes, lines, gaskets, and injector harness for 1300. I may go that route. I am on the fence on keeping the 06 ram currently as I feel I have an opportunity to make a good profit if I decide to flip it.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!