Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We took the new 1000 camping this weekend for the first time. We have really enjoyed the 700 up here but we were excited to run this bad boy. We have taken it out a couple times but this place is different. A little of everything from 1500ft-6900ft heavy single track,48",dirt roads to in town. Streams creeks, deep red clay mud, bumps, to a kids and an adult motocross tracks. The 1000 was incredible truly incredible. Everyone up with us drove it and really enjoyed and commented on it. My 10yo daughter who grew up woods camping absolutely loved it was more comfortable as well. We had a Can-am guy up with a friend and is "going to talk to his wife immediately!" Power is great steering seems good but the transmission is something to be elated about. Always seems to be in the right gear. We normally ran auto got into sport low anytime into heavy stuff. Liked the manual mode at first but really seems to be a novelty as if you leave it auto it's so nice to just grab a gear either way up/down(however it won't allow you to over rev or to high). Transmission is awesome! I absolutely ran the crap our of this 1000 this weekend! It had 300mi on it so I figured it's go time. Ran it an every single double dirt road I could find. Nearly tipped on its backside up a super steep hill. Ran across some whoops designed for motorcycles about a 100yard stretch at about 30 ran down rough dirt roads at well 66 beat the hell out of her especially considering its brand new. I ran it harder way harder then the 700 would even think about. Motor/transmission are awesome!!! Body is solid in every way-I do have a few complaints however shocks,low power mode,rubber door adjusters,gaps in the box,tailgate cables,still a little hard to shift,headlights aren't as bright as I'd think and so high I was looking for owls. The suspension is better then 700 but I'm positive it's only because it's heavier with more travel. It bottoms out still the front shocks are crap the backs are better (pulled back the Polaris on the trailer first time on the 1000 not the 700 it through out another wheel bearing wouldn't drive but the 1000 did great even the rear shocks you could tell they got stiffer and power wise it wasn't there) but even back shocks just aren't smooth. Was going to sell my Fox podiums but I'm going to go through the small hassle to put them in the 1000. I can't handle that suspension anymore! It would be great in technical areas to have a low power mode to spin a little less(still very controlled but not as throttle smooth as 700 obviously more power) and not want to wheel stand up the steep stuff. Just a thought for my particular riding areas. Tailgate cables? Really still? Door adjusters fell out of 700 by the time you got them tight I see same here. I pulled a few sets out of a wrecking yard I think Nissan Murano hood to fix 700. I wish they could clean up the door and box gaps just a bit more the front seat filler between seats is nice. Headlights will probably go to non-led so I can go back to the hid setup and probably run 55 hid this time( they were way high I lowered them to a usable spot) seats are more comfortable we went for a total of 13hrs on it on Saturday up to 4:30am on Sunday morning. Sunday my 10yo daughter drove the last few miles to camp towing the Polaris and said she didn't feel it back there. Storage is better lots more room better design with battery setup room underneath dash is great for activities overall lots better rig I'm very happy and will be changing very little from stock other then headlights (my personal opinion) and shocks are gone! Love this rig guys! Everyone who drove it was VERY impressed. My wife wondered if I was going crazy to buy it but thanks me and instantly fell in love only complained about shocks (I guess with Fox in the 700 we spoiled ourselves) here are a few photos. 1000 is now at 600mi and as expected it's a Honda no problems!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice write up. But for the love of God why can't they put on decent shocks? These things aren't exactly cheap. And have to put over a grand in shocks is just asinine. When I did the demo ride I asked the guy why they don't put adjustable suspension up front, he said it's because people don't know how to set them properly and can create dangerous handling.

Reactions: pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can see Honda doing that but the cruddy thing is the better shocks are actually safer. I wish they could at least throw it in as an option and then those of us that want them can finance it in you expect for this kind of money you could just accessorize and be done. Im sure not made of money and lots of others buy a Honda because they aren't they expect it right and to last. I'm glad I saved them from my other one because no crap I don't want to spend that again but I was hoping to sell them but no way! I kept hoping that they would break in and be great but at this kind of mileage and as hard as we have been on her I don't believe so. It really sucks because the machine is so incredible that is really my only large complaint. Miles ahead of everything else in other ways. It is a better then the 700 shocks but....:-( again I don't mean to be bashing this rig and I apologize if it sounds as such, I wouldn't be happy with anything else and really never was before the 700 (however shocks were a complaint on that too for what the 700 is it's great) everything we owned I found lots of things but this is such a nice machine and its my baby ill love it as such but I hoped they'd fix them.

Last edited:
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
CUSHION ASSY., FR. 51400-HL4-A11 Front shocks part # Look on Ebay Monroe shocks load leveler and air shocks. One would have to look at length. The passenger car load capability may be to much. One would need to play around at a good parts store. Way cheaper in price and with the air the ride can be easily adjusted. Could the original be double shocked or is the room required not there? Just a thought.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm absolutely sure if someone was willing to try something it could be better.

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015
Cummins, I'll have to agree with you on all points, as I had my first real ride yesterday. The drivetrain being so good makes up for the crap shocks in my mind. But I noticed immediately after the first few bumps, my ranger 900 on stock shocks handled rough terrain alot better. I did get use to it after a short while. I'd strongly consider aftermarket shocks too if the price isn't outrageous. Overall me and my friend had an awesome ride yesterday about 20 miles of mostly tight atv trails, my buddy drove alot as well, I had to tear him out of the drivers seat. I belieive he liked it alot better than his teryx4 but didnt want to admit it.

If I had one bone to pick about something, it would be that I did got blasted with water after hitting 6"-12" deep water holes at moderate speed maybe 10 mph or so on the trail. The holes in the firewall by the master cylinder are numerous and huge and there needs to be some grommets added and/or foam in there. I'll have to come up with something before i go again. It really looked like a waterfall coming down on your feet. Thank goodness I had my Muck boots on for that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cummins, I'll have to agree with you on all points, as I had my first real ride yesterday. The drivetrain being so good makes up for the crap shocks in my mind. But I noticed immediately after the first few bumps, my ranger 900 on stock shocks handled rough terrain alot better. I did get use to it after a short while. I'd strongly consider aftermarket shocks too if the price isn't outrageous. Overall me and my friend had an awesome ride yesterday about 20 miles of mostly tight atv trails, my buddy drove alot as well, I had to tear him out of the drivers seat. I belieive he liked it alot better than his teryx4 but didnt want to admit it.

If I had one bone to pick about something, it would be that I did got blasted with water after hitting 6"-12" deep water holes at moderate speed maybe 10 mph or so on the trail. The holes in the firewall by the master cylinder are numerous and huge and there needs to be some grommets added and/or foam in there. I'll have to come up with something before i go again. It really looked like a waterfall coming down on your feet. Thank goodness I had my Muck boots on for that.
You know I didn't notice that but my wife did say the water hit her feet funny I kind of dismissed it but after that you probably nailed that one I will look for a fix as well probably easy and my wife will appreciate it if I listen (and for me to not get wet in the future:))

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Whats low power mode or whatever in your complaints.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wish they had a switch that could drop power a bit. Love the power most of the time:) but in technical stuff you have to be a bit careful of that go button on the floor. We got into a couple places (good rock climbs extreme muddy hills)where a little more finesse and less brute force would be great. The section of whoops we ran was pretty tough at lower speeds. Each bump even if it moved your foot 1/4 inch would damn near wheel stand or jerkingly stop. And it would be nice for newer riders to not be smoking the tires so much. Most of the time it's great but a little of the time you're actually thinking about it. Most people that ride it commented on the touchy throttle loved the power but said how careful you have to be at points. No problem on dirt roads but deep in the woods with the power and transmission so crisp it reacts VERY quickly. I guess that's not something we've dealt with on the 700 and especially on those sloppy belt drives on our old commander or Rangers.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Honda SXS are too underpowered cries the world for the last 4 years...

The Pioneer 1000 is too powerful wish it had a low power mode, shoulda got a P500.

Just can't win.....
double_facepalm.png

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hold on I didn't say too powerful by any means! Throttle is a bit drive by wire touchy:) :)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hold on I didn't say too powerful by any means! Throttle is a bit drive by wire touchy:) :)

Then people need to train their right foot to finesse the throttle, in this day and age of Prius and cruise control people forgot how the use the pedal with a gentle touch. After driving modern cars where you mash it and some time over the next 45 seconds gets up to 65 I could see where the P1000 that goes 0 to 40 in just under 5 seconds might seem "Too Sensitive". You need a few days behind a 600+ HP muscle car and you'll figure it out or end up like this guy.

Wrecks a $1.3M Ferrari on way home from dealership because the accelerator was "too sensitive" :D

Reactions: 250exridertim
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My pickup is roughly 800ft/pounds tq and I've owned 550hp 300zx Tt, and a 426stage 2 Plymouth Satellite. But you're not driving a Ferrari up a single track muddy rock infested 40deg side hill with crossed up downed wet trees in the dark with 4 friends at 2am as its snowing. I understand throttle control my friend my dirt bike only has 20 less horsepower and weighs 1400 less pounds. Been around motors for 35years brought up my entire family and four other families in the woods. Last weekend was 26 camping trips so far this year which we ride constantly. Just saying I felt it was a bit touchy at times. Not so much complaining as a mere observation of possible easy factory goodies that could be added in the future. If it had a mapping switch which even my dirt bike comes with (it's just a pink wire you can run to switch or simply to ground) it drasticly can change control. Not that I hate the power. Maybe I'm just suggesting things trying to improve any already incredible product that's all.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
My pickup is roughly 800ft/pounds tq and I've owned 550hp 300zx Tt, and a 426stage 2 Plymouth Satellite. But you're not driving a Ferrari up a single tack muddy rock infested 40deg side hills with crossed up downed wet trees crossed up in the dark with 4 friends at 2am as its snowing. I understand throttle control my friend my dirt bike only has 20 less horsepower and weighs 1400 less pounds. Been around motors for 35years brought up my entire family and four other families in the woods. Last weekend was 26 camping trips so far this year which we ride constantly. Just saying I felt it was a bit touchy at times. Not so much complaining as a mere observation of possible easy factory goodies that could be added in the future. If it had a mapping switch which even my dirt bike comes with (it's just a pink wire you can run to switch or simply to ground) it drasticly can change control. Not that I hate the power. Maybe I'm just suggesting things trying to improve any already incredible product that's all.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I was merely joking around... Why so serious?

Shields down Scotty, take her out of warp drive.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was merely joking around... Why so serious?

Shields down Scotty, take her out of warp drive.
Sorry but I didn't want to be taken out of context or someone thinking that we just bought a rig and never been off the pavement being on crack with A nervous tick complaining too much power. With that said I'd pay(I know you would too) for the guy in the Ferrari to follow one of these jeep killers! I do understand footing is important but crap this thing is responsive! I think mainly due to the transfer of power through the trans. 98%of the time it's alllllll smiles 2% there's a bit of a pucker factor:)

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and JACKAL
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey jackal way to get me going :) I guess it was it was the rich moron on the top of the video. Wish we could just go for a bad ass ride tear up some dirt then stop off at the fire for some cold beers and some damn good stories. That settles everything! However that was fun:) makes me hate being back home maybe I'm a bit grumpy because of it! Apologies.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all. I only have 100 miles on my 1000 so I haven't had the chance to really put it in the dirt and find out its limits. I live in the Idaho panhandle in the Silver Valley. Pinehurst to be exact so I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails to check this machine out on. I traded our 2014 700-4 with 4500 miles on it. We do use them a lot. I haven't got all my accesories yet and it is going to the dealer next week for the 100 mile service, after that the fun begins. I will have to agree with the comments about shocks, for as spendy as this thing is one would have to think they could have done a little better in that department. My 700 had a real alignment problem and I suspect this one does also. It has pretty bad tire shake around 55 so that is an area the dealer is going to look at. I know the service manager very well and he listens to me as he knows that I know what I am talking about. Being a 1st year unit I expect to find some glitches but so far I don't see anything that can't be easily resolved. All in all I am looking forward to many years of fun with this machine. I fully intend to give my best to wear it out. By the way I am not a spring chicken I will be 73 next March. I have twisted wrenches on everything from a bicycle to a modern commercial airliner. I restore old cars and trucks in my spare time hence the name (Old Trucks).

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hello all. I only have 100 miles on my 1000 so I haven't had the chance to really put it in the dirt and find out its limits. I live in the Idaho panhandle in the Silver Valley. Pinehurst to be exact so I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails to check this machine out on. I traded our 2014 700-4 with 4500 miles on it. We do use them a lot. I haven't got all my accesories yet and it is going to the dealer next week for the 100 mile service, after that the fun begins. I will have to agree with the comments about shocks, for as spendy as this thing is one would have to think they could have done a little better in that department. My 700 had a real alignment problem and I suspect this one does also. It has pretty bad tire shake around 55 so that is an area the dealer is going to look at. I know the service manager very well and he listens to me as he knows that I know what I am talking about. Being a 1st year unit I expect to find some glitches but so far I don't see anything that can't be easily resolved. All in all I am looking forward to many years of fun with this machine. I fully intend to give my best to wear it out. By the way I am not a spring chicken I will be 73 next March. I have twisted wrenches on everything from a bicycle to a modern commercial airliner. I restore old cars and trucks in my spare time hence the name (Old Trucks).
. So you are probably familiar with some of those photos I suspect! We ride that area(Cataldo,St.maries,Mc Crowski,Fernan Calispel Creek?) be nice to some more Hondas out there!!

Reactions: pct and franzw
advertisement