BOX1

First Ride 2020 X2

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've had mine since December, but I've avoided taking it out even in the fields around my house so I could add accessories while she was still clean. She had 4 miles on her when I left for the trip. Our trip started on the Hatfield McCoy trail (HMT) of Bear Wallow. We rode the new section which is on the east side of 119. Like most HMT trails its steep, and lots of switch backs. Since the trial was fairly new there were not a lot of ruts. It was 55 and sunny, so we were ready to get at it. The throttle is jumpy and hard to get use to. The power is unreal, much more than you need for trail riding. My machine has the Bandit tender springs so it was a super smooth ride. I used H and 2wd for the most part. But I probably should have been in sport mode most of the time as I felt she didn't downshift enough going up the hills. I did not use the paddle shifter. We only had about 2 hours to ride before the sun started stetting, so we kept the hammer down and did 34 miles on the trail. The trail was smooth, and dry, so it was fast. The next day the weather was crappy, snow, rain and a high of 39 degrees. We rode the main section of Bear Wallow that day. It was wet, greasy and slick. I spent a good portion of that day in I4WD and low. In I4WD and low I felt pretty invincible. I do have stock tires on and I put them on 9 Lbs. each. We rode about 75 miles that day and went on a lot of steep rocky trails. Good time, but cold. Lots of snow build up on the windshield. We got back in about 4pm, and loaded up and went to the cabin we rented in Matewan. The next day we rode a good portion of Buffalo Mountain, to include a large section of outlaw trails north of 119. We went into Williamson for lunch. Wet, not as cold, and we had a good time. Same trail conditions as before so I was in Low and I4WD a lot. In hind sight I should have used 2WD and sport mode more often. I think we rode 68 miles that day. So now the Talon has 177 miles on it. I am going to do a complete fluid change this week since I have to work from home due to the CovID 19. Do note, West Virginia does not have any reported cases of the CovID 19!! Assuming its still legal to travel, we'll be heading back there March 26-29.

60513718913  4D5F59FA 1D26 4EA0 AE42 C3EF5C0C8438 IMG 0543

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Glad to hear you liking it! I have the same machine and I am supposed to head to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in the middle of April. It will be my first time there and I am excited to ride them!! I hope this virus doesn't jack with that plan!!)

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Glad to hear you liking it! I have the same machine and I am supposed to head to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in the middle of April. It will be my first time there and I am excited to ride them!! I hope this virus doesn't jack with that plan!!)
Nice! I'm sure you will enjoy it. What trail system are you going to ride? I think in another week we'll have a better understanding of the virus and how it's going to affect our trips to WV. At least I hope so.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Nice! I'm sure you will enjoy it. What trail system are you going to ride? I think in another week we'll have a better understanding of the virus and how it's going to affect our trips to WV. At least I hope so.

Devil anse, Buffalo mtn, Rockhouse all right together by where we are staying! I'm not sure of where we are camping because my cousin got the campsite. We both ride Talon X.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Devil anse, Buffalo mtn, Rockhouse all right together by where we are staying! I'm not sure of where we are camping because my cousin got the campsite. We both ride Talon X.
Good trails. Devils is fast, but lots of blind corners. Rockhouse is great, lots of elevation change and long trails. If you get into Mann go to Kieth's for lunch. Good food. Smoking is allowed in there, so its a little bit of a shock unless your a smoker. Buffalo is good as well. But the outlaw trails around Buffalo are the great. If you go on trail 28-29 on Buffalo, make sure you go up one of the outlaw trails to the top of the Mountain.

Reactions: Hometeam
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hatfield McCoy trails are now closed due to the Covid19. The Governor is just trying to keep visitors out of the state since they have so few cases. I don't blame him at all. Looks like we won't be heading there this weekend.

Reactions: Smitty335
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hatfield McCoy trails are now closed due to the Covid19. The Governor is just trying to keep visitors out of the state since they have so few cases. I don't blame him at all. Looks like we won't be heading there this weekend.
I just called there, no mention of being closed. They were telling me about prices etc.

Great write up though, sounds like you had a really good time. Have you been to mines and Meadows yet?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
After a year and 1 month they should be open now.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!