First Ride....

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Took the 500 out for the first ride today with my 6yr old son. Went on a national forest ORV trail in north GA. There was a max width of 50" on this trail so I thought it would be fun to see how it would handle. Well the first trail I took went down a pretty rocky and steep hill, in a couple of places I had to squeeze between two trees that were at most 52" apart, throw in an off camber corner and I was in trouble, basically had to drag the roll bar across the tree and with a little luck I was through without any major damage. Fortunately this was the only trail that was this tight and turns out is was prob the most difficult trail there, tough way to start the ride!

After that I started to get a feel for the machine and it started shifting and riding better as the day went. I do have a few questions to other owners to make sure there is nothing wrong with my machine:

I notice some rather loud drivetrain humming, resonance in 4th/5th gear around 20-25mph. Is this normal? Happens in 2wd, didnt try in 4wd.

Downshifting doesnt seem to be smooth unless I am going under 10mph and there is an abrupt clank during most downshifts. Upshifts are pretty smooth, sometimes very smooth, but the downshifts sound like it going to break something, especially when getting aggressive.

Also when I got back home I took it for test spin and under some fast power shifts it seemed to be delayed in shifting almost like it would slip for a second then engage. It may have just been cold not sure as I didnt notice it doing this during my ride. It did miss a shift once during the ride, not sure what happened there.

Anyway sorry the wall of text just wanted to make sure everything is normal. It is my first side by side so I dont have much to compare it to. My last atv purchase was a 92 yamaha timberwolf,bought it new, still runs like a top. I will say the 500 did surprisingly well for the most part, rocky/clay climbing and descending everything in 2wd I pointed it at, which in some places was shocking considering how steep. Just a great trail machine, never once needed more power or speed, maybe softer shocks. I met a motorcycle rider that told me I was not allowed on the trail with a sxs, had to explain the 50" width thing to him, not sure he bought it but whatever I know I was legal as I had done my research before going. We ended up having a blast and put about 20 hard miles on her. Only visible damage was a large rock dent to the front skid.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
"I notice some rather loud drivetrain humming, resonance in 4th/5th gear around 20-25mph. Is this normal? Happens in 2wd, didnt try in 4wd."

Yes there is some drivetrain noise you will notice and this is not a problem.

"Downshifting doesnt seem to be smooth unless I am going under 10mph and there is an abrupt clank during most downshifts. Upshifts are pretty smooth, sometimes very smooth, but the downshifts sound like it going to break something, especially when getting aggressive."

Yep, it take some time to learn the "timing" of the shifts to get them a bit smoother. You will also notice that as you get more miles on the machine it will smooth out and mine seemed to get a bit quieter.

"Also when I got back home I took it for test spin and under some fast power shifts it seemed to be delayed in shifting almost like it would slip for a second then engage. It may have just been cold not sure as I didnt notice it doing this during my ride. It did miss a shift once during the ride, not sure what happened there."

Once is a while mine will miss a shift and this mostly only happens when the machine is cold and not warmed up.

I know what you mean about dragging the roll bar in off camber tight trails. Overall it mostly never hurts anything and it after a few times of doing it you get used to it. sounds like you are off to a great start enjoying your new machine!

Reactions: sthomp54
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the response code54. Sounds like everything is normal... I really like this thing, shifting gears makes it so much more interesting to drive, keeps you engaged in the action! The compression braking is also a great feature, honestly I hardly ever use the brakes unless I am parking it. I played around with the shifting some more and the "slip" seems to get a little better as it warms up. I may try to adjust the clutch after the first oil change if needed.

My biggest complaint so far is in cab storage! I am looking for some sort of smallish bag that is easy to get at for use as a "glove box" Very odd Honda didnt utilize the space behind the warning label for a glove box, would be a good aftermarket opportunity.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Why they didn't make at least a small glove compartment is beyond me. That area is wide open and would have at least gave us something. I love the machine and we were out running around on it tonight and my wife said it amazed her what a great machine it was but there is no place to even store our eye protection....

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
I totally agree ! We love our p500 ! The Little oem storage bag helps with stuff !

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Why they didn't make at least a small glove compartment is beyond me. That area is wide open and would have at least gave us something. I love the machine and we were out running around on it tonight and my wife said it amazed her what a great machine it was but there is no place to even store our eye protection....
Some one needs to make a glove box to fit in the dash the shape of the warning sign, then put the warning sign back on the door.Come on you aftermarket guys, it will sell.Welcome to the club sthomp54!

Reactions: Fordman
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Some one needs to make a glove box to fit in the dash the shape of the warning sign, then put the warning sign back on the door.Come on you aftermarket guys, it will sell.Welcome to the club sthomp54!
when I get some free time that I don't spent riding im going to see if I can make one lol just adding it to the list of everything else

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I made this out of a old dishpan,Took about half an hour to make. The cup holder drains into it.

Reactions: JACKAL
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
View attachment 5226 I made this out of a old dishpan,Took about half an hour to make. The cup holder drains into it.

Interesting idea...I just picked up a couple diff sized black dish pans from walmart. gonna see what I can whip up, thanks! Also grabbed a cheap trash can for the underseat storage. There is room on this machine for storage they just chose not add it from the factory. The prices on the storage boxes from honda are really expensive. I would rather have a winch than an underhood storage box right now!

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nice ideas, thanks for sharing with pictures they truly are worth a 1000 words.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!