P500 First service at dealer - this a good price?

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
The local dealer (I didn't buy my P500 from them) quotes $360 for the first service, $210 for just the valve adjustment. I've been reading up and think I can do the oil change, but the oil is pricey. I haven't researched the diff maintenance enough yet.

Are those prices decent?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The local dealer (I didn't buy my P500 from them) quotes $360 for the first service, $210 for just the valve adjustment. I've been reading up and think I can do the oil change, but the oil is pricey. I haven't researched the diff maintenance enough yet.

Are those prices decent?
I was quoted $250.00, IMO unless you hear those valves, or you have hard starting, power issues etc., leave them alone. Many a Honda thru the years that require periodic valve maintenance according to the service manual, never did get it, and have space shuttle miles on them. However there is a thread discussing this that I would encourage you to read where you'll find differing views. The oil change is a PITA, but you can do it. :)

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I was quoted $250.00, IMO unless you hear those valves, or you have hard starting, power issues etc., leave them alone. Many a Honda thru the years that require periodic valve maintenance according to the service manual, never did get it, and have space shuttle miles on them. However there is a thread discussing this that I would encourage you to read where you'll find differing views. The oil change is a PITA, but you can do it. :)

Thanks! I am reading and leaning toward the feeling that it's not necessary. I bought the machine used and have no warranty to worry about breaking.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You got dicked
Hope he kissed you on ...the
neck first...
the guy that...serviced
your rig..was most likely
..still s***ting green..
making $8 an hour..
you were charged
for a Honda Tech
to service it...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've never adjusted mine. Like monte said, unless it's acting up don't bother.

Never done no adjustments
to any ATV/UTV I've had
no troubles..no noise

Reactions: monaco
Pawnman87

Pawnman87

Oct 4, 2015
Murfreesboro, Ar
Ownership

1. 500
Just something I ran into... the dealer I bought mine from quoted me $385 for first service which I thought was crazy high! Called another dealer and they said $275 for first service so of course I went to them and told them thanks for the savings and the tech asked what I meant and so I told him about the other quote and he freaked out because he said that the $275 was Honda flat rate nation wide and that he needed to contact the big wigs and let them know that they were ripping people off at the other dealership.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Just something I ran into... the dealer I bought mine from quoted me $385 for first service which I thought was crazy high! Called another dealer and they said $275 for first service so of course I went to them and told them thanks for the savings and the tech asked what I meant and so I told him about the other quote and he freaked out because he said that the $275 was Honda flat rate nation wide and that he needed to contact the big wigs and let them know that they were ripping people off at the other dealership.
A call..won't do s***
Most techs are not honda
approved...kid out of
high school shop class

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
You got dicked
Hope he kissed you on ...the
neck first...
the guy that...serviced
your rig..was most likely
..still s***ting green..
making $8 an hour..
you were charged
for a Honda Tech
to service it...

You'll be happy to know that was only an email estimate... It seems high to me and I wasn't about to pull that trigger before checking in with you guys. No money spent, and now I've been educated :) This is a major reputable dealer... $$$

I'm just going to do my filters, oil and diff oil and call it done.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Got my oil filter on order from amazon, but I couldn't find the O-rings. I'll just be extra careful :eek: :D

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You'll be happy to know that was only an email estimate... It seems high to me and I wasn't about to pull that trigger before checking in with you guys. No money spent, and now I've been educated :) This is a major reputable dealer... $$$

I'm just going to do my filters, oil and diff oil and call it done.
Yeah...
most do it
there ...there to make $
Good choice..to do yourself

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Got my oil filter on order from amazon, but I couldn't find the O-rings. I'll just be extra careful :eek: :D
Take old one with you
...home Depot
lowes...they have a
whole drawer full of
o rings...get a handful

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Got family & friends...that work
at Dearlerships. ..GMC.../ Harley
....seems they have a few Techs
.....helping & checking the green
horns doing the work....Real Techs
are paid by the job...not buy the hour

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Best place to buy oil and filter on the internet?

Last edited:
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Thanks for the info...thats what I get for not looking at the manual.

GravelBat

GravelBat

Sep 5, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I change the oil on my vehicles and other 4 wheelers but this Honda had me confused with the two filters I got with my oil change kit. I didn't understand the directions and couldn't find a good YouTube video on it so I took it to the dealership for the first oil change. $86 dollars which seemed steep but I just wanted to get it done.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!