P1000 "Foggy windshield"

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I have a Kimplex, two pc., windshield on my 2019 1000-5, that has gone foggy on me. It had been parked, facing the sun for a period of time but find it hard to believe that this should happen. I have an airplane and bike so I know a bit about plastic maintenance and it has never seen any ammonia cleaning used on it. It is very difficult to see safely, especially when driving into the sun. The lower portion of this install has not been affected. Has anyone seen this before and can it be buffed out, like one can do to the headlite covers on cars, trucks..??? Warranty ....????

Reactions: JenElio
Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Honda factory split windshield which I paid just under $1000 new. It is the same way very foggy to see thru. I have used some cleansing products on it which improved it slightly. For this kind of money I feel they should last longer. Mine is just under four years old.

• Wow
Reactions: JenElio
H

HondaTech

I have a Honda factory split windshield which I paid just under $1000 new. It is the same way very foggy to see thru. I have used some cleansing products on it which improved it slightly. For this kind of money I feel they should last longer. Mine is just under four years old.

$1k for a Honda windshield?
Did they spit on it first?

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Just maybe we can get back on track and let the derailers do what they do....???/

Reactions: Mopower58
advertisement
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
There are no scratches at all or crazing. It looks like a film with waves in it. I did take pics and gave to dealership ....BUT...you know......Covid, so who knows if I will hear from them..I might try to buff out a small area but was wondering how common this is....it should not be

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are no scratches at all or crazing. It looks like a film with waves in it. I did take pics and gave to dealership ....BUT...you know......Covid, so who knows if I will hear from them..I might try to buff out a small area but was wondering how common this is....it should not be
Is your Kimpex a "hard coat" or reg plastic windshield?
If a hardcoat, it may have failed. You may need to sand it off and polish the reg plastic.

Reactions: Backwoods
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you tried one of the plastic headlight lens polishing products yet? I would imagine some of the them have a money back guarantee...

I'd imagine it is the same reaction happening with sunlight/etc. with the plastic.

Reactions: Backwoods
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I was not aware that Kimpex had a "hard coat" and a reg one ..I will check with the Honda dealer, who supplied it and also see if there has been any reply from the Mfg ..

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Was really not wanting to do to much to this windshield until the Mfg., gave me their thoughts, however I am going out tomorrow with the Honda and was not looking forward to looking thru "smoked glass" So I did try the "plastic restore" stuff, as I have used it before, with excellent results. This time..NADDA, it did absolutely nothing and it looks like the "smoke" is down deep in the plastic.. On Monday, I will go ad talk to my dealer and light a fire, as required.. There are no scratches or marks on a basically new windscreen and I sure as hell would not touch it with a torch

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Problem solved.....for me anyway.. Spoke to my dealer, who took pics and sent them to the factory rep. They sent me the replacement top piece that was affected and I am a happy camper or SXS'r. or whatever..Thanks again to the people at Grizzly Ridge Honda in Slave Lake AB, Can.

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow. Lucky you.
I will try at my dealer but I am non optimistic as Getting any coverage these days is a tough go. I told them my tranny was acting up and before they would look at it they said I needed all documented oil changes preferable done at dealer. I have two years of Warranty remaining. My machine only has 2900 Kilometers on it. So getting a New Windshield will be a tough go.
But I will try.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!