Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More boost = more fuel. It’s that easy.

The big problem is you are pulling a bill board down the highway with the windshield on your UTV.

this is why some go with enclosed trailers as the mpg difference is minimal if your utv has a windshield.

Removing the Pioneer windshield/cab will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a 2011 5.0 and a 2017 2.7 now. If i was to reccomend a truck i would say get the 3.5, then the 2.7, then the 5.0. My 2.7 is so much more fun to drive than my 5.0 was. I do miss the sound sometimes though. Towing the 5.0 did a little better, but not enough to offset it for me. 2.7 is getting much better gas MPG as well. went from 15.5-16 average to 19-20avg

J

JTW

I had a 2011 5.0 and a 2017 2.7 now. If i was to reccomend a truck i would say get the 3.5, then the 2.7, then the 5.0. My 2.7 is so much more fun to drive than my 5.0 was. I do miss the sound sometimes though. Towing the 5.0 did a little better, but not enough to offset it for me. 2.7 is getting much better gas MPG as well. went from 15.5-16 average to 19-20avg
I haven’t driven a 2.7 but they gave me a loaner 5.0 when I was waiting for my new truck and there was a significant difference between it and my 3.5’s... I’m still not 100% sold in the 10 speed transmission for day to day driving. But it’s nice when pulling.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 3.5 eb is where it’s at! It doesn’t sound as good as the 5.0.. but it pulls awesome! Fuel mileage is just like what’s been said. It’s good without a load driving reasonable but when you push the limits of acceptable driving or add a load to it. Mileage is going to drop. It’s a gasser.. that’s what they do. But so do all the others!
I need to drive one, my truck has the 3.6 pentastar with the 8 speed and it does pretty good. I can’t imagine if mine made boost, it could only make it better. The new Rams have the e-torque system on them so I’m looking forward to checking those out as well. The V-8’s are great but they are losing their place in pickups these days.

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
J

JTW

I need to drive one, my truck has the 3.6 pentastar with the 8 speed and it does pretty good. I can’t imagine if mine made boost, it could only make it better. The new Rams have the e-torque system on them so I’m looking forward to checking those out as well. The V-8’s are great but they are losing their place in pickups these days.
There’s a nice little button on the shifter that has a range of maps for your driving pleasure. I’m in sport mode 90% of the time. It’s crazy what a difference it makes. The 3.5 flat out comes alive!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s a nice little button on the shifter that has a range of maps for your driving pleasure. I’m in sport mode 90% of the time. It’s crazy what a difference it makes. The 3.5 flat out comes alive!
I bet it does, my uncle is on his 2nd one and swears by them. My new work truck has the 5.0 with the 10 speed, it definitely has power but it’s not all that impressive in my opinion.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They make an add on supercharger for the 5.0 that brings it alive.
The Roush one is BA and sounds mean.
if it’s anything like the ones we had for the 4.6 cobra R’s we had....look the F out!!

Reactions: Russ989
S

SlowPony46

Jul 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The ecoboost is known to get better mileage than the 5.0 empty but worse when towing in a lot of cases, because turbo engines are tuned to run more rich for engine safety. More load = more boost = more fuel.

that being said, I have a 2017 5.0 so it’s a 6-speed. Normal empty driving I’ll get 19-20 on the highway. Towing my P1k5 on a 14’ tandem axle trailer from TN home to northern IL I got 11 MPG in TN and KY, 12-13 in IL (flat). Haven’t towed it anywhere since putting a windshield on though.

Reactions: Russ989

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!