P1000 Fox Shocks Spring Replacement

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am thinking about replacing the springs on my rear fox shocks. The top of the progressive spring is completely collapsed with just the pre load so I think I need a heavier spring.
Does anyone have the info for the stock spring for sure? I have been looking and found 15.5" 187/350 but i am not sure if that is correct. I am thinking about a 16" 400lb spring. I haul a good bit in the back when I ride. Chainsaw tools ect, plus have the spare tire mounted all the way in the back on a rack.
Anyone done different springs and how did it work out?
Thanks!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am thinking about replacing the springs on my rear fox shocks. The top of the progressive spring is completely collapsed with just the pre load so I think I need a heavier spring.
Does anyone have the info for the stock spring for sure? I have been looking and found 15.5" 187/350 but i am not sure if that is correct. I am thinking about a 16" 400lb spring. I haul a good bit in the back when I ride. Chainsaw tools ect, plus have the spare tire mounted all the way in the back on a rack.
Thanks!

I had the same problem. I ended up with 275 on back and really like them. Just got 250s for the front and I expect they will work well.
400 will be overkill for the back. I put 300lbs in the bed of mine when I plow snow and just add a little preload. The 275s work great!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How mu
Thanks!
ch preload do you have on the machine..I am also assuming that the spring top being collapsed is when the bed is full - is that correct.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The top part of my spring is collapsed even without anything in the bed, I am running somewhere around 1.5
" of preload on the rears right now and the ride height is good.
So one thing that confuses me, if the factory springs are 15.5 why is everyone going with 14" instead of 16"? I do think the rear rack and spare are a huge factor in mine so I may try a 350 spring but now I am curious as to the length to order.
Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: Ragnar406
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The top part of my spring is collapsed even without anything in the bed, I am running somewhere around 1.5
So one thing that confuses me, if the factory springs are 15.5 why is everyone going with 14" instead of 16"? I do think the rear rack and spare are a huge factor in mine so I may try a 350 spring but now I am curious as to the length to order.

You have 6 inches of rear shock travel. Having a 14 or 16 inch spring doesnt matter. It only changes where the collar will be to set the pre load.

I would suggest a 300lb spring but it's up to you.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The preload is going to collapse the tops of springs - because they are progressive the top part is the lower weight and collapses when preload is added. May of us are running the Straight spring to prevent that part from happening. running a 300lb straight spring on the back basically means that the spring will collapse 1" for every 300lb or 1/2" in our case since there are 2 shocks. Right now you are probably only using the 350# part of the spring - if you switch out to the 14" 300# you will find that you can back off some of the preload you have and still maintain the same ride height. As far as 300# vs 350# it is personal preference but the only one that I know that is running or going to run 350# is @CumminsPusher - Hopefully CP can comment on how the 350# springs are working out for him.

the other thing is several of us have noticed that the nitrogen has leaked out of out shocks or just needed to be replaced - this affects compression rate as well.

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have 6 inches of rear shock travel. Having a 14 or 16 inch spring doesnt matter. It only changes where the collar will be to set the pre load.

I would suggest a 300lb spring but it's up to you.
As @Cuoutdoors says a 14" or 16" is only going to matter if the travel were long enough to coil bind the 16" spring but I don't think it it will take is. Also you will get less articulation as to compress the same distance will require 700 additional #'s

*if calculations are incorrect above it is due to not enough caffeine this morning yet)

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As @Cuoutdoors says a 14" or 16" is only going to matter if the travel were long enough to coil bind the 16" spring but I don't think it it will take is. Also you will get less articulation as to compress the same distance will require 700 additional #'s

*if calculations are incorrect above it is due to not enough caffeine this morning yet)
Thanks for all the info!
I am going to try the 300 14" springs and see how that goes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The preload is going to collapse the tops of springs - because they are progressive the top part is the lower weight and collapses when preload is added. May of us are running the Straight spring to prevent that part from happening. running a 300lb straight spring on the back basically means that the spring will collapse 1" for every 300lb or 1/2" in our case since there are 2 shocks. Right now you are probably only using the 350# part of the spring - if you switch out to the 14" 300# you will find that you can back off some of the preload you have and still maintain the same ride height. As far as 300# vs 350# it is personal preference but the only one that I know that is running or going to run 350# is @CumminsPusher - Hopefully CP can comment on how the 350# springs are working out for him.

the other thing is several of us have noticed that the nitrogen has leaked out of out shocks or just needed to be replaced - this affects compression rate as well.

these are my numbers. It did give a little lift all the way around without dual rate,about 1.0 in nose and 1.5 tail. Not as sloppy around corners but seems to soak up things better. Haven’t spent a ton of time and very little on hard surface since the new setup so don’t have a ton of feedback as of yet. So far I like it but will get back with more

Attachments

• 44D8972E-BF47-4CE4-A4FF-E8E5A0AB8E85.jpeg
    44D8972E-BF47-4CE4-A4FF-E8E5A0AB8E85.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 140
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the info!
I am going to try the 300 14" springs and see how that goes.
I got 14s and I think I still had to compress them a bit. If you were to get a 16 inch 300lb spring you'll have 600lbs of pressure on it just to get it together.

Reactions: Cattrell

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!