P1000 Frame crossmember bent

J

JTW

Guys.. (specifically @Tramguage1) I had the aluminum skids on mine and they did the job but the issue isn’t the skid. The issue is the spand is too great to support all the weight of the machine in a hard hit. I don’t think there is currently a skid plate option out there that won’t allow deflection for the amount of span. It plain and simply needs more support. This was a large reason for me building a one piece 1/2 uhmw skid.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Need to do some more research, aluminum comes in many different tensile strengths. Maybe a different grade is needed.i do believe the aluminum may help a little with heat dissipation.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys.. (specifically @Tramguage1) I had the aluminum skids on mine and they did the job but the issue isn’t the skid. The issue is the spand is too great to support all the weight of the machine in a hard hit. I don’t think there is currently a skid plate option out there that won’t allow deflection for the amount of span. It plain and simply needs more support. This was a large reason for me building a one piece 1/2 uhmw skid.
This is 100% my thought as well. The span between the crossmembers doesnt carry the load if you're riding the belly of the machine.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They are.. or build a one piece 1/2 uhmw.
If I go plastic I will follow your lead and build my own. I have a couple local plastic suppliers here in town.
So may contact you and see what NOT to do.

Reactions: joeymt33 and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I go plastic I will follow your lead and build my own. I have a couple local plastic suppliers here in town.
So may contact you and see what NOT to do.
Uh he copied my 1/2" plate. I have the measurements for ya.....and I copied Todd's 3/8" plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had added the TA full skids to my 700 before I traded it. I liked them ,just not sure they are the best for my application.
The aluminum skid is OK but its not great. What about your application makes you prefer a center aluminum skid and not a full UHMW skid?

We went all the same places at Royal blue. I sure am glad I had the full UHMW skid. Honestly I think I have noticed the biggest difference when going up hill and hitting the skid. It slides so much easier and seems to go up-and-over obstacles in 2 wheel drive much easier.

I'll be honest I was never too worried about getting a skid until the 1st overland trip i beat the piss out of my rub rails

Reactions: joeymt33 and BWAF
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't own a 1000.
I don't work for Honda.
But.... I play engineer at work during the day. (Don't ask me about my night job)

Looks to me Honda did the typical "minimum effective design". It will work fine until it hits a rock.

That said, I'm thinking that replacing the cross member with a box member about the same dimensions would help. It would be laying on it's side (in the weak axis) but what the hell.

Even though aluminum or plastic skid pans don't offer any bending strength, both will distribute the load and help preserve the cross members (especially if you haven't already wrecked them). Kinda like laying a sheet of plywood on the roof to walk on.

BTW: same design problems in pulling these things out of the mud/craters. I tore my frame just tugging it backward by the trailer hitch.

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone used their old plastic skid plate as a stencil on a 3/16 STEEL skid plate ? Seems to me the steel would dent, but not crush in. And the cross supports, as weak as they are would benefit from a strong belly pan. Can't be that much heavier or harder to cut. I'd also eliminate all holes except 3 service locations and the bolt holes to minimize sticks and brush from getting anywhere close to hot components. Let me know what you think. I'm going to source some metal on Tuesday. Eric in Reno

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone used their old plastic skid plate as a stencil on a 3/16 STEEL skid plate ? Seems to me the steel would dent, but not crush in. And the cross supports, as weak as they are would benefit from a strong belly pan. Can't be that much heavier or harder to cut. I'd also eliminate all holes except 3 service locations and the bolt holes to minimize sticks and brush from getting anywhere close to hot components. Let me know what you think. I'm going to source some metal on Tuesday. Eric in Reno

If you're going to make it out of steel, make sure you keep all the stock holes. These machines can use all the under belly ventilation you can get. I ran my new skid plate without holes and it was really hot compared to stock. Putting the holes back in helped a lot

Reactions: Ragnar406
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Half in UHMW will be better than 3/16 steel and probably weigh less.

There’s someone who made a template on the forum but i can’t remember who at the moment.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
I have skid plated quite a few quads and UTVs. Also have used them in some very punishing terrain. Climbing over logs stumps and boulders. I will no longer take a stock unit and skid plate anywhere other than the shop to install a custom skid plate.
If you start with what you have to make a template that works best then some good old duct tape and cardboard to add the addition that you should have. That done remove the existing skip plate with cardboard and you have a great template to get going.
1/2 inch uhmw is the best product to use. As it slides over everything whereas aluminum is more expensive and sticks to everything. With aluminum all your bolt are sticking down, whereas with uhmw you can countersink all of your bolts with a forstner bit so the don’t catch on anything.
Don’t forget to extend the uhmw out the side to provide great nerf bars.
Hope this helps.
I’ve had great success with 1/2 uhmw.
The main reason that I have built my own for a while now is because I was not satisfied with any I could find in the marketplace. They put too many drain holes in them and cut them in too many pieces for ease of installation and I think it probably reduces their material cost.
The fewer joints in the skid place the fewer weak spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have skid plated quite a few quads and UTVs. Also have used them in some very punishing terrain. Climbing over logs stumps and boulders. I will no longer take a stock unit and skid plate anywhere other than the shop to install a custom skid plate.
If you start with what you have to make a template that works best then some good old duct tape and cardboard to add the addition that you should have. That done remove the existing skip plate with cardboard and you have a great template to get going.
1/2 inch uhmw is the best product to use. As it slides over everything whereas aluminum is more expensive and sticks to everything. With aluminum all your bolt are sticking down, whereas with uhmw you can countersink all of your bolts with a forstner bit so the don’t catch on anything.
Don’t forget to extend the uhmw out the side to provide great nerf bars.
Hope this helps.
I’ve had great success with 1/2 uhmw.
The main reason that I have built my own for a while now is because I was not satisfied with any I could find in the marketplace. They put too many drain holes in them and cut them in too many pieces for ease of installation and I think it probably reduces their material cost.
The fewer joints in the skid place the fewer weak spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And shipping cost.

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Half in UHMW will be better than 3/16 steel and probably weigh less.

There’s someone who made a template on the forum but i can’t remember who at the moment.
I've got measurements

Reactions: BWAF and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!