BOX1

P1000 Free Cab Heater

P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's starting to cool down in Minnesota now, and I've been thinking about heaters. I really don't want to drop $300-$600 on an add-on heater, and I've been meaning to install a bilge fan under the seat to suck hot air from the exhaust pipe area and blow it into the cab (flip the fan around in the summertime to help evacuate some of the hot air that heats the seat). Long story long, I was poking around the interwebs and came across this guy who made a device to capture the heat coming off the radiator of his Rhino (this would be the same heat everyone complains about coming through the shift lever hole in the summertime). I'm intrigued by this guys design: it's simple, there's (almost) no moving parts, no wires, hoses, fans, and very inexpensive to build.

So I was looking at my machine thinking how I could do something like that as well, and then remembered the ~5"X5" access door by the floor. I took that off, drove a couple miles to let the coolant warm up (air temp was about 40 degrees F), and low and behold a ton of warm air was rushing into the passenger compartment, even at very moderate speeds.

Have any of you Pioneer guys tried to make something like what this guy made for his Rhino? I just took the access door off and was really surprised at how much warm air there was. I have to believe that with some sort of shroud capturing the air right off the radiator and a duct funneling it directly into the cab, there is some serious potential here.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's starting to cool down in Minnesota now, and I've been thinking about heaters. I really don't want to drop $300-$600 on an add-on heater, and I've been meaning to install a bilge fan under the seat to suck hot air from the exhaust pipe area and blow it into the cab (flip the fan around in the summertime to help evacuate some of the hot air that heats the seat). Long story long, I was poking around the interwebs and came across this guy who made a device to capture the heat coming off the radiator of his Rhino (this would be the same heat everyone complains about coming through the shift lever hole in the summertime). I'm intrigued by this guys design: it's simple, there's (almost) no moving parts, no wires, hoses, fans, and very inexpensive to build.

So I was looking at my machine thinking how I could do something like that as well, and then remembered the ~5"X5" access door by the floor. I took that off, drove a couple miles to let the coolant warm up (air temp was about 40 degrees F), and low and behold a ton of warm air was rushing into the passenger compartment, even at very moderate speeds.

Have any of you Pioneer guys tried to make something like what this guy made for his Rhino? I just took the access door off and was really surprised at how much warm air there was. I have to believe that with some sort of shroud capturing the air right off the radiator and a duct funneling it directly into the cab, there is some serious potential here.
No but have fan under seat that is reversible work well

R

Ranger620vs

Feb 24, 2019
Cottage Grove MN
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Lot of messing around just to not install a heater.
I have the inferno heater installed and the dei fan kit.
The heater worked good last weekend in norther MN. We were comfortable

I also turned the thermostat setting on the Dei fan all the way so it would not run to help get heat in the cab.

Reactions: Lady01
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just a little advice for those cold weekends. If the front access panel on floorboard is taken out it creates a lot of of extra heat at the expense of 2 5mm hex bolts. It’s a big difference!

J

Jjbco

May 12, 2019
SW IA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Here’s another YouTube video describing install of two, reversible bilge fans for a Pioneer 1000.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a little advice for those cold weekends. If the front access panel on floorboard is taken out it creates a lot of of extra heat at the expense of 2 5mm hex bolts. It’s a big difference!
can you post a picture of the panel your talking about,Im in ND and my icecrusher heater isnt cutting it. air doesnt feel very warm,thanks

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
can you post a picture of the panel your talking about,Im in ND and my icecrusher heater isnt cutting it. air doesnt feel very warm,thanks
Against the floor board in the middle you’ll see a small panel with two 5mm hex bolts. It’s cold here so mine is already out. I swapped the hex to a single 10mm head for quick access. I got rid of all the hex head bolts in the floorboards, they piss me off.
3F59379A 444F 4873 B18B 7F1A79B23157

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know how practical it is, but I have been using a Mr Buddy heater in my rig these last couple of weeks and it works really well. CP said to remove this panel and I really thought about it, but I figured I would try the heater and see how it works. A buddy of mine used his last winter and had to tweak with the tilt switch, but I bought a unit about a month ago and they have upgraded the switch. It works really well and I usually running it on low, but it's nice having the ability to kick it up to high if you need. I just removed a panel bolt below the center compartment and added a rubber insulated clamp around the handle to hold the top and but a board between the heater and seat to hold the bottom. Way cheaper and warmer I believe then the factory add on heater.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't know how practical it is, but I have been using a Mr Buddy heater in my rig these last couple of weeks and it works really well. CP said to remove this panel and I really thought about it, but I figured I would try the heater and see how it works. A buddy of mine used his last winter and had to tweak with the tilt switch, but I bought a unit about a month ago and they have upgraded the switch. It works really well and I usually running it on low, but it's nice having the ability to kick it up to high if you need. I just removed a panel bolt below the center compartment and added a rubber insulated clamp around the handle to hold the top and but a board between the heater and seat to hold the bottom. Way cheaper and warmer I believe then the factory add on heater.
I’ve heard of a couple people using the little ones in cup holder and didn’t think that would be much but I’ll bet your setup works good. They put out some heat

Reactions: Lady01 and tjoreo
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can bypass the tilt switch with a little jumper wire.

Reactions: Lady01 and tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve heard of a couple people using the little ones in cup holder and didn’t think that would be much but I’ll bet your setup works good. They put out some heat
I really thought about a cupholder style like their golfcart heaters but decided I might like the ability crank up the heat if I needed to and didn't know exactly how to mount it. These little ones work really good and sit about perfect just in front of the access cover. The low setting works great but now I just need to fill up the cracks in the unit. I bought one of Montana's dash cover which should fix the shifter but need to figure out a seal around the door cracks. Always tinkering.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can bypass the tilt switch with a little jumper wire.
We had to bypass the switch in my buddies little older heater but the new one I got works differently. I sounds like there is more a tilt switch with a ball in it that has to really move to get it to activate. Just normal driving around while hunting I've only had it trip once when I stopped fast to glass up a big ole "sagebrush". I figured I would disable it if I needed to, but it works great and peace of mind that it's there for a safety if needed.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Against the floor board in the middle you’ll see a small panel with two 5mm hex bolts. It’s cold here so mine is already out. I swapped the hex to a single 10mm head for quick access. I got rid of all the hex head bolts in the floorboards, they piss me off.
View attachment 170632

I did as you suggested and removed that little panel. You are right - Free heat! particularly if the radiator fan kicks on! Anyway, Im going to leave that panel off for the winter. Thanks for the tip.

steve

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 170632
will this work for me in ND or will I get a blast of cold air when I’m driving, thanks

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
will this work for me in ND or will I get a blast of cold air when I’m driving, thanks
Once the machine is warmed up it works well because it’s air that came across the radiator. Actually works well at some speed, doesn’t help a ton when stopped unless the fan comes on. I’d sure suggest trying it because it’s literally unscrewing two bolts to try.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once the machine is warmed up it works well because it’s air that came across the radiator. Actually works well at some speed, doesn’t help a ton when stopped unless the fan comes on. I’d sure suggest trying it because it’s literally unscrewing two bolts to try.
Thanks cp, I’ll try it tomorrow, appreciate the info

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Taking off the access panel works great. I take mine off every winter. The only down side is going through water you can get a little steam coming in. It's not enough to harm you by any means but will fog up the windows.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Taking off the access panel works great. I take mine off every winter. The only down side is going through water you can get a little steam coming in. It's not enough to harm you by any means but will fog up the windows.
im going to be pulling a sled with grandkids in it over christmas, I will be in a snow covered stubble field, hope tracks don’t kick snow in cab through the hole,?

Reactions: Biteme
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!