P500 from experience-Is a front bumper needed?

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
From all your experiences.....Is a front bumper really needed? Been thinking about getting the strong made version. But since the credit card has all but melted since I got my little Red Baron in January. And In prioritizing my purchases /money spent/ what's most important/ the fact that the wife is ready to kill me.....etc.

Has a front bumper really saved a lot of guys bacon? Thinking of just adding a winch and lights and calling it a day for the front of the buggy. I don't mind brush rash (it's gonna get dirty). And I tend to stay away from all out rock climbing. So I'm thinking of saving money for skids. Commentary? Thanks.

Reactions: Gem99Ultra
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
From all your experiences.....Is a front bumper really needed? Been thinking about getting the strong made version. But since the credit card has all but melted since I got my little Red Baron in January. And In prioritizing my purchases /money spent/ what's most important/ the fact that the wife is ready to kill me.....etc.

Has a front bumper really saved a lot of guys bacon? Thinking of just adding a winch and lights and calling it a day for the front of the buggy. I don't mind brush rash (it's gonna get dirty). And I tend to stay away from all out rock climbing. So I'm thinking of saving money for skids. Commentary? Thanks.
More than anything, the strong made provides great protection to the radiator which I always considered vulnerable, besides giving a very nice look to the otherwise boring P-500 front and superior winch mount leaving it fully accessible.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are just leisure riding nice trails then no not needed. But I sure love my emp. Feels invincible!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

The front bumpers do look good but the chances of actually needing it to save your bacon are small. The front and rear bumper is the only thing I don't have on my P5.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I guess it depends on what "saving your bacon" means. The front bumper on my Polaris Ranger is bent up pretty badly, but the body, grill, headlight trim and hood are all fine, although they wouldn't be without the bumper. The Strong Made doesn't just make the P-5 look good, it does provide protection.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
To be honest, I've had mine for almost 9 months, and have never attached my front bumper. (factory Honda) I will eventually do so, probably over Spring Break, but it hasn't been a priority. Now, the ONLY reason I will mount it is because I bought it. I thought it would be a great thing, but after many miles of riding, it doesn't look like it will be that much of a benefit. The Strongmade bumper looks like it would provide some more protection than the Honda OEM bumper, but I'm not sure it's needed for my personal requirements.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Id say go with the honda imo best looking and better overall coverage from brush

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I personally would - I went with the strong made for the protection and to give me a nice high winch mount that is dead solid. I really don't know if mine has saved me but when we are way back in the woods you hear things bang up into it from time to time. Did it save the radiator, maybe?????

Reactions: JTW
Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I personally would - I went with the strong made for the protection and to give me a nice high winch mount that is dead solid. I really don't know if mine has saved me but when we are way back in the woods you hear things bang up into it from time to time. Did it save the radiator, maybe?????

Thanks for the comments fellas. Good points !

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Almost 2000 miles and never had a need...ride with many riders and a very wooded area...I can use that money on better things :)

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

Here is my bumper. Just a UTV High Lift Jack but it makes a really strong bumper as well.
P 5

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
going on two years and nearly 2000 miles, do a mix of trail / dirt road and utility (snow plow) work. Never found myself wanting/needing one.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I really like that set up! Was thinking about mounting a high lift on my machine. Is that a custom mount? Looks like a short jack also. Would you mind sharing the details on your set up? Thanks
It is a 36" High Lift and High Lift adjustable tube mount that I got from Amazon. The tube mount is attached to the tube just below the grill. It's easy to get on and off plus it give a security on very steep hills because of the added weight but you do not notice it in the steering. The jack weighs 30 lbs. The base plated is pinned for easy removal and I keep it in the under hood storage bin.
Hi-Lift Jack UTV-364 36" UTV Jack
[URL='http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-TM-700-Adjustable-Mount/dp/B003CEODQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456677864&sr=8-2&keywords=utv+high+lift+jack']Hi-Lift Jack TM-700 1"-2" Adjustable Tube Mount

Upload 2016 2 28 9 49 37

[/URL]

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
It is a 36" High Lift and High Lift adjustable tube mount that I got from Amazon. The tube mount is attached to the tube just below the grill. It's easy to get on and off plus it give a security on very steep hills because of the added weight but you do not notice it in the steering. The jack weighs 30 lbs. The base plated is pinned for easy removal and I keep it in the under hood storage bin.
Hi-Lift Jack UTV-364 36" UTV Jack
Hi-Lift Jack TM-700 1"-2" Adjustable Tube Mount
http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-TM-700-Adjustable-Mount/dp/B003CEODQI/?tag=sxsweb24-20
View attachment 10970
http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-TM-700-Adjustable-Mount/dp/B003CEODQI/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Thanks Alan! I will order those items.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA

I can't speak for my SxS - BUT... on my old 1960 Fordson-Dexta tractor I had this huge heavy duty homemade railroad track bumper. It seemed to just be dead weight other than being ballast for the rear lift uses. Had to take it off one day to do some radiator work on the tractor. And, being lazy, decided to just let that go for now, and put it back on later.

Then one day, working in a heavily wooded area I got into a situation that I couldn't stop in time. Couldn't quite come to a dead stop before barely bumping a tree. hmmm - damaged the entire front end of the tractor and destroyed the radiator.

So, my conclusion is that, although any kind of bumper isn't going to make my SxS bumper car bullet proof, it just might save some major damage in some situations. I just call it low price insurance. And I think the SxS looks better with one vs without one. It's your money and your preference.

Oh, and BTW, on my current Kubota tractor - I do have a full blown 1/4" steel grill guard/bumper combination. Even plastic parts are expensive.

Reactions: Frisco
Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I can't speak for my SxS - BUT... on my old 1960 Fordson-Dexta tractor I had this huge heavy duty homemade railroad track bumper. It seemed to just be dead weight other than being ballast for the rear lift uses. Had to take it off one day to do some radiator work on the tractor. And, being lazy, decided to just let that go for now, and put it back on later.

Then one day, working in a heavily wooded area I got into a situation that I couldn't stop in time. Couldn't quite come to a dead stop before barely bumping a tree. hmmm - damaged the entire front end of the tractor and destroyed the radiator.

So, my conclusion is that, although any kind of bumper isn't going to make my SxS bumper car bullet proof, it just might save some major damage in some situations. I just call it low price insurance. And I think the SxS looks better with one vs without one. It's your money and your preference.

Oh, and BTW, on my current Kubota tractor - I do have a full blown 1/4" steel grill guard/bumper combination. Even plastic parts are expensive.

So true. Great points. Seems like the bumpers also provide a stronger base for a winch.

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
So true. Great points. Seems like the bumpers also provide a stronger base for a winch.
Better to be safe than sorry!!! It's one of those things you hope you never need BUT it's better to have & not need than to not have and need.

Reactions: Frisco
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Yes better safe than sorry and my bumper saved the day the other week strong made bumper was the best $280 or whatever I have spent. Saved way more than that by what it protected

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!