P500 from experience-Is a front bumper needed?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Absolutely!

1. It provides protection for grill, headlights, radiator

2. It can hold lights

3. It can hold a winch

4. Can be used for tying down

What else? We buy $800 skid plates that can't do the things a bumper can.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My strongmade front bumper saved my front end Saturday when a Polaris scrambler 850 back into me fairly hard... Would have broken plastics for sure...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, and SM is the premier, IMO.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
From all your experiences.....Is a front bumper really needed? Been thinking about getting the strong made version. But since the credit card has all but melted since I got my little Red Baron in January. And In prioritizing my purchases /money spent/ what's most important/ the fact that the wife is ready to kill me.....etc.

Has a front bumper really saved a lot of guys bacon? Thinking of just adding a winch and lights and calling it a day for the front of the buggy. I don't mind brush rash (it's gonna get dirty). And I tend to stay away from all out rock climbing. So I'm thinking of saving money for skids. Commentary? Thanks.
I have put 1600 miles on my 2015 RZR that has had a front bumper since day one and with that under my belt ,,, the p500 isn't getting one . IMO the $ is better spent on a night out with your girl .

Reactions: Alan aka Davinci
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have put 1600 miles on my 2015 RZR that has had a front bumper since day one and with that under my belt ,,, the p500 isn't getting one . IMO the $ is better spent on a night out with your girl .
I did both!;)

Reactions: JTW, HUCK and Stacy
SouthGA

SouthGA

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
The 500 doesn't have much beef up front. I ride with a lot of guys with old mud toys with zero brakes. Had a Rancher roll down a hill right into my Strong Made bumper and not a scratch. Hate to think what it would have done without the bumper. Plus it comes ready made for a winch which I have used plenty.

Reactions: JTW and chrisC
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The 500 doesn't have much beef up front. I ride with a lot of guys with old mud toys with zero brakes. Had a Rancher roll down a hill right into my Strong Made bumper and not a scratch. Hate to think what it would have done without the bumper. Plus it comes ready made for a winch which I have used plenty.
BINGO!!!

Reactions: chrisC
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, and there's pictures of one mounted for a rear bumper in a thread here somewhere.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
From all your experiences.....Is a front bumper really needed? Been thinking about getting the strong made version. But since the credit card has all but melted since I got my little Red Baron in January. And In prioritizing my purchases /money spent/ what's most important/ the fact that the wife is ready to kill me.....etc.

Has a front bumper really saved a lot of guys bacon? Thinking of just adding a winch and lights and calling it a day for the front of the buggy. I don't mind brush rash (it's gonna get dirty). And I tend to stay away from all out rock climbing. So I'm thinking of saving money for skids. Commentary? Thanks.
I would take the money and buy ice and beer. Actually, the bumper might be the ONLY THING I have not bought. Expensive little beast.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Installed the Strongmade front bumper on 2017 P 500. Those bottom front carriage bolt nuts are a bear to get to. If I had to do it again, I would put nut facing out. They should move them closer to center to give room for a wrench or socket. Had to flip flop the wrench more than a politician.

Image Image

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Installed the Strongmade front bumper on 2017 P 500. Those bottom front carriage bolt nuts are a bear to get to. If I had to do it again, I would put nut facing out. They should move them closer to center to give room for a wrench or socket. Had to flip flop the wrench more than a politician.

View attachment 26548 View attachment 26549
Yep, I remember that when installing mine, but hey it's just once, and look how good they make the P5 look!!! Best in duty and aesthetics out there, IMO.

Reactions: JTW and FuzzyGrub
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I just ordered the Strong-Made front bumper yesterday. I had a front bumper/brush guard on a 2004 Polaris Ranger and it saved the front end of that unit several times busting a trail to retrieve a kill when I lived in Michigan. So yes, I think they are worth having if you have to bust a trail. If you are riding established trails, maybe not, just my opinion. Good luck which ever you decide.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just ordered the Strong-Made front bumper yesterday. I had a front bumper/brush guard on a 2004 Polaris Ranger and it saved the front end of that unit several times busting a trail to retrieve a kill when I lived in Michigan. So yes, I think they are worth having if you have to bust a trail. If you are riding established trails, maybe not, just my opinion. Good luck which ever you decide.
Welcome to the Club DD!

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome from back home DaddyDubbs.
You're right, I've had grille guards and bull bars on every truck I've owned for the last 20 yrs...saved the front end from extensive damage many times. Good insurance and looks good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyDubbs
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Is a front bumper required? Absolutely if you drive the old logging roads on Vancouver Island. My P5 is 6 days old, but I've put on 7,000 kms on two quads and some of that is going up trails overgrown with new trees. Generally you can push down 1.5" diameter saplings. I've been up trails where the bush got alittle thick and started lifting the front end up. Without a bumper there would not be an intact piece of plastic left on the front, or the back for that matter (skid plates and stick stoppers required as well). Can't wait to get out in the 2017! I appreciate that alot of guys ride open trails but I can't resist exploring a good over-grown trail.
My 2 cents.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!