Front differential lock ?

L

loys72

Dec 30, 2014
How do you do to lock the front differential with the p5 ?With Rincon or Rubicon using the front brakes but with the p5, this is not possible. Do you have a solution?

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wait until one comes out aftermarket...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, seems this does not work the same as the limited slip diff found on many Honda atv's. Plus, All brakes are tied together.
Maybe there will be a aftermarket in the future.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
after looking at the parts diagrams for several honda machines it looks like the Big Red MUV700 has the same front diff but with a locker on it. the part numbers are the same for everything except the right output of the diff. does anyone have a measurement of how far out the 700 diff sticks past the main housing? i am still looking for a way to lock the front diff this would make a big difference on what my machine would do. the ring and pinion ratio is different too. the Big red is 45/13 and the P500 is 53/13. it looks like the diff could be swapped by changing the ring and pinion and making a custom front axle or just extending the a arm..

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
after looking at the parts diagrams for several honda machines it looks like the Big Red MUV700 has the same front diff but with a locker on it. the part numbers are the same for everything except the right output of the diff. does anyone have a measurement of how far out the 700 diff sticks past the main housing? i am still looking for a way to lock the front diff this would make a big difference on what my machine would do. the ring and pinion ratio is different too. the Big red is 45/13 and the P500 is 53/13. it looks like the diff could be swapped by changing the ring and pinion and making a custom front axle or just extending the a arm..
From my understanding there isn't enough room for the extended axle or diff.

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
thats why i was hoping someone had one so i could get a measurement. my plan is to add a locker of some type and probably change the a arms. if you look at the axle shafts they go toward the rear of the machine i was going to flip them around to move the front hubs forward to allow for larger tires without a lift. currently i am running 27" swamp lites and i get a small amount of tire rub at full steering lock and when i am off camber. i saw where high lifter has made arched a arms for the P1000 that move the front hubs forward a couple of inches.

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking at the top a arms they are offset to the rear of the machine if I swap sides that will bring the top of the spindle forward. I am looking for the locker first to see if it needs to be repositioned or if stock a arms will work with stock axles.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Looking at the top a arms they are offset to the rear of the machine if I swap sides that will bring the top of the spindle forward. I am looking for the locker first to see if it needs to be repositioned or if stock a arms will work with stock axles.
Let us know!! If it works, I'll follow suit!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
thats why i was hoping someone had one so i could get a measurement. my plan is to add a locker of some type and probably change the a arms. if you look at the axle shafts they go toward the rear of the machine i was going to flip them around to move the front hubs forward to allow for larger tires without a lift. currently i am running 27" swamp lites and i get a small amount of tire rub at full steering lock and when i am off camber. i saw where high lifter has made arched a arms for the P1000 that move the front hubs forward a couple of inches.
When are you going to do this. And when you do would you please post pics along the way??

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i dont know yet but i am willing to try something out to get a locker and bigger tires. i dont do a lot of high speed riding so as long as the steering tracks straight i think it will be ok. most of the trails i ride are 2nd or 3rd gear. going to L for really rough spots or deep mud. last weekend i tried to climb up a ravine, the left rear tire completely disappeared in a hole, the right front was probably a foot off the ground and spinning, the left front wasnt doing anything. i think with a locker i could have pulled on through and climbed out of the ravine. it did back right out with no problem and i was able to find a way around it.

Reactions: Chooglin
J

JTW

i dont know yet but i am willing to try something out to get a locker and bigger tires. i dont do a lot of high speed riding so as long as the steering tracks straight i think it will be ok. most of the trails i ride are 2nd or 3rd gear. going to L for really rough spots or deep mud. last weekend i tried to climb up a ravine, the left rear tire completely disappeared in a hole, the right front was probably a foot off the ground and spinning, the left front wasnt doing anything. i think with a locker i could have pulled on through and climbed out of the ravine. it did back right out with no problem and i was able to find a way around it.
Have you already removed the sway bar?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

If you do alot of low speed riding you might just put a spool in the front diff. It would be cheap, but you have the issue of a locked front end all the time creating difficult steering. Not sure how bad it would be on this machine as I dont think anyone has tried it.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I wonder how it would handle reversing the "caster" ?
I had a Kinq quad 700 back in the day and, I believe, the reverse caster was an issue with them. It actually made the steering easier but also made it so that when hitting something the wrong way, it would actually jerk the handle bars away from you..someone described it as having a shopping cart with the front wheels actually reversed from the way they are now...I found that very helpful. After 4800 miles I'll admit it only happened once but scared the crap out of me-LOL

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have removed the sway bar and the rear stays planted a lot better but I am looking for traction help from the front. I thought about the spool but I haven't found one that fits yet. I appreciate all of the feedback that's why I posted on here. I want to hear concerns from everyone and past experience with similar issues.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have removed the sway bar and the rear stays planted a lot better but I am looking for traction help from the front. I thought about the spool but I haven't found one that fits yet. I appreciate all of the feedback that's why I posted on here. I want to hear concerns from everyone and past experience with similar issues.

How about a Lincoln locker? It would work but there's no going back after that.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

Reactions: Tflynn and sharp
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

You might want to give these guys a call and see if one of these will fit.

Honda Trax Lock Spool Locker

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!