BOX1

Front differential lock ?

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i checked with them this fits the Trax Lock differentials which is a limited slip type.

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How about a Lincoln locker? It would work but there's no going back after that.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

Not good if your on asphalt or anything that provides excellent traction, they tend to break the welds and cause all sorts of mayhem. I'd be worried about it coming apart at the most inopportune time on a trail, but yeah thats an option.

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i may try to change the front differential out with one that is in the front of my 15 foreman 500 it has diff lock on it. i am trying to find ring and pinion gears to match back up to the original P500 gears.

Reactions: JTW and Chooglin
C

Chooglin

i may try to change the front differential out with one that is in the front of my 15 foreman 500 it has diff lock on it. i am trying to find ring and pinion gears to match back up to the original P500 gears.
If you can get something figured out , that works , your going to get a butt load of likes for this one !

Reactions: trigger and JTW
illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ok i found something strange while looking at gear ratios in the front and rear differentials for this. i used the parts diagram on bikebandit for OEM parts and it shows a discrepancy between front and rear ratios. the parts diagram on here just takes me to a dealer page no diagrams?? does someone have the link to Honda somehow to verify the ratios?? i went to another aftermarket parts supplier and the part diagram shows the same as bikebandit. for some reason it shows a 13/53 front which i believe and the rear as 21/53 which i dont. i have been researching what it would take to put a locking diff from say a newer foreman in this machine and change gear ratios in either front or rear to match up.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
ok i found something strange while looking at gear ratios in the front and rear differentials for this. i used the parts diagram on bikebandit for OEM parts and it shows a discrepancy between front and rear ratios. the parts diagram on here just takes me to a dealer page no diagrams?? does someone have the link to Honda somehow to verify the ratios?? i went to another aftermarket parts supplier and the part diagram shows the same as bikebandit. for some reason it shows a 13/53 front which i believe and the rear as 21/53 which i dont. i have been researching what it would take to put a locking diff from say a newer foreman in this machine and change gear ratios in either front or rear to match up.

wow that is strange. I wonder if it's possible they have different output ratios to the front and back? The 21/53 setup would be stronger, which would make sense since the rear does more work than the front...

Keep up the research... I'm hoping you find a solution for us!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I verified your findings on the different ratios. It appears there is an additional gear reduction before the rear differential.

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i was thinking it was a misprint on the part diagrams. this looks like a typical honda transmision with a propeller shaft setup that runs through the transmision

Reactions: AlR
C

Chooglin

Just looking at these diagrams, part #9 on the p500 could be swapped out with part #8 from the p700. It looks like a direct bolt on.
You would also need to buy the rest of the internals (#17,19,29,25....etc.)from the 700 to complete it.

You would then need to either find a shorter axle for the passenger side or have one made.

I would only be concerned that the axle might be short lived because of the angle of the axle.
Screenshot 2017 02 02 09 36 47 Screenshot 2017 02 03 18 55 16

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Just looking at these diagrams, part #9 on the p500 could be swapped out with part #8 from the p700. It looks like a direct bolt on.
You would also need to buy the rest of the internals (#17,19,29,25....etc.)from the 700 to complete it.

You would then need to either find a shorter axle for the passenger side or have one made.

I would only be concerned that the axle might be short lived because of the angle of the axle.
View attachment 32248 View attachment 32249
Better go ahead and have three made. :D

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
still working on this if i go to the 700 differential it is wider which would involve lengthening the a arms. the passenger side would be too short to cut down the axles and still have any suspension travel. does someone have a width measurement on the 700 differential?

C

Chooglin

still working on this if i go to the 700 differential it is wider which would involve lengthening the a arms. the passenger side would be too short to cut down the axles and still have any suspension travel. does someone have a width measurement on the 700 differential?
@illinoisdave did you read my post #33(first paragraph), do you think this is possible ?

Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, seems this does not work the same as the limited slip diff found on many Honda atv's. Plus, All brakes are tied together.
Maybe there will be a aftermarket in the future.
I am working on something for this... I ordered a solenoid that I will be putting on-line at the rear break so I can stop oil pressure to reach the rear caliper. By doing this, I'll only apply pressure to the front wheels and I hope it will do the same as on the Rubi and other Honda ATV. The reason why I want it at the back is that you have no modifications to do. Just disconnect the flexible hose, insert your solenoid, run a wire to a switch in the dash and go!!!

As soon as I get it done, I'll post results.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!