BOX1

P500 Front driveshaft clunking noise

Biglen

Biglen

Mar 14, 2018
Mentor ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I went riding this past weekend and I went into a deep water hole so I backed up when I realized how deep it was , I had to give her alittle throttle and I heard a big clunk noise come from the front end , when I take it out of 4x4 the noise gos away , when I’m in 4x4 I can give it gas and I hear the clunk noise and when I let off the gas I hear it again . Any suggestions ? Thanks

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not aware of any front end problems like this. Could be a U- joint, CV joint, something in the front diff or maybe a control arm bushing. You are just going to need to look around and see what you can find. If it’s low miles and under warranty take it back and see what the dealer says.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
The popping can actually be coming from anywhere and suggest you put the P500 on four jack stands getting weight off the suspension/axles. Next, I would get under there and begin handling all components to see if something is “obviously” wrong and go from there. I’m reasonably confident you will discover the problem….

Reactions: Mudwing
Biglen

Biglen

Mar 14, 2018
Mentor ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not aware of any front end problems like this. Could be a U- joint, CV joint, something in the front diff or maybe a control arm bushing. You are just going to need to look around and see what you can find. If it’s low miles and under warranty take it back and see what the dealer says.
The popping can actually be coming from anywhere and suggest you put the P500 on four jack stands getting weight off the suspension/axles. Next, I would get under there and begin handling all components to see if something is “obviously” wrong and go from there. I’m reasonably confident you will discover the problem….
Ok thanks everyone, I will look at it this weekend , try the jack stands and see what is loose or broken , My tires were spinning and I heard a Big Bang from under the floor towards the front diff , I’ll post what I find , thanks again

Reactions: Mudwing
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks everyone, I will look at it this weekend , try the jack stands and see what is loose or broken , My tires were spinning and I heard a Big Bang from under the floor towards the front diff , I’ll post what I find , thanks again
You are literally down the street from me. If you need help, please reach out (As I sit off Tyler BLVD typing)

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
You are literally down the street from me. If you need help, please reach out (As I sit off Tyler BLVD typing)
Very nice!!

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Just wondering if you saw the post pioneer 500 front end noise sounds like maybe it may be the same thing
Good luck

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Biglen Did you get a chance to check out your machine?

Reactions: Biglen
Biglen

Biglen

Mar 14, 2018
Mentor ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I did not get a chance to look at it , we had a huge pine tree come down at our camp in PA , so I had to go look at that and start cutting it up , I’m going to look at it tonight after work
So I put the 500 on jack stands and the problem is with the front drive shaft , I can turn the tires and the clunk noise I heard was right in the CV joint right behind the front pumpkin , my question is should I take the front drive shaft out and replace cv joint or buy a whole new driveshaft with cv joint on it ? Not sure which one would be cheaper

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
So I put the 500 on jack stands and the problem is with the front drive shaft , I can turn the tires and the clunk noise I heard was right in the CV joint right behind the front pumpkin , my question is should I take the front drive shaft out and replace cv joint or buy a whole new driveshaft with cv joint on it ? Not sure which one would be cheaper
Hum... I may not be following along, are you hearing the noise in one of the two front axle/cv joints or is it occurring from the shaft going into the differential from the engine/transmission? Reason for asking, I would be sure to figure out which of the three (2 front axles or driveshaft into the differential) needs repair and if comfortable with the work, then I would get started. Can you see visible damage and feel it when moving the shaft around?

Biglen

Biglen

Mar 14, 2018
Mentor ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hum... I may not be following along, are you hearing the noise in one of the two front axle/cv joints or is it occurring from the shaft going into the differential from the engine/transmission? Reason for asking, I would be sure to figure out which of the three (2 front axles or driveshaft into the differential) needs repair and if comfortable with the work, then I would get started. Can you see visible damage and feel it when moving the shaft around?
I checked it out , it’s the front cv joint on the driveshaft going to the front differential, I jacked it up and when you turn wheels it makes the noise , so not sure if I can replace cv joint or if I have to replace something else

C

Chooglin

I checked it out , it’s the front cv joint on the driveshaft going to the front differential, I jacked it up and when you turn wheels it makes the noise , so not sure if I can replace cv joint or if I have to replace something else
If it is the U-joint on the front drive shaft , you are looking at $43 to replace it !

Screenshot 2019 01 15 08 09 42

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Looks like you have the solution above as long as you are okay with the work....

Biglen

Biglen

Mar 14, 2018
Mentor ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like you have the solution above as long as you are okay with the work....
Yeah I looked at thread
yeah alittle nervous about getting into something like that but I will try it , looks like I have to lossen up front differential to get cv joint out , not sure how cv joint is connected to front driveshaft

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!