Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went to our local dealer and the shop foreman took the time to show me the best method. The steering wheel comes shipped in the crate with the machine and the dealer usually looks at the front tire on the drivers side and gets it straight and puts the wheel on, so don't use the steering wheel as a guide.
I counted the threads shown on the tie rod, at the nut, and adjusted them equally until it looked close upon inspection, standing back and looking at the front.
I now took 2 pieces of string and 2 jack stands and tied the string on the rear hitch and brought the string around the back tires and up past the front tires and tied it to the jack stands. Move the jack stands in and out until the strings just starts to touch the front of the rear tire, now you can measure off of the wheel on each side to get your toe in. The string needs to be in the center of the wheel to be accurate.
Now remove your steering wheel with a 19mm and center it, start the machine and turn it left to right and check your center to center lock.

To clarify on measuring off the wheel. Do you measure a 1/16th in on the front of front wheel at each side to gain 1/8th toe out on the back side if desired? Thanks.

Update: I just counted my threads from lock nuts out and its 4 on left and 5 on right.

Last edited:
W

Wesman

May 1, 2016
Temple-Killeen, TX
My ARD (anal retentive disorder) is acting up.
Using the procedure that @DRAGFOOT posted, I can get the overall tow in/out but how do I know which side is out more. Maybe one side is actually 'out' a bit and the other 'in' alot resulting in a moderate 'in' reading.

Or we just dont care about that precision cause it doesnt pull to one side?
To clarify on measuring off the wheel. Do you measure a 1/16th in on the front of front wheel at each side to gain 1/8th toe out on the back side if desired? Thanks.

Update: I just counted my threads from lock nuts out and its 4 on left and 5 on right.
Yes, I toed it in 1/16th on each side measuring at the front of the wheel. I had 4 on the left and 5 on the right to begin with and when finished it was 6 on each.

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey. I set my strings and decided default to 6 threads on each side and when I set the left the Toe in was a out 1.5" in. Does this mean I will have to adjust the steering wheel when done? Likely?

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked mine yesterday and it was out 1 1/4"

W

Wesman

May 1, 2016
Temple-Killeen, TX
Hey. I set my strings and decided default to 6 threads on each side and when I set the left the Toe in was a out 1.5" in. Does this mean I will have to adjust the steering wheel when done? Likely?
The toe-in should only be 3/16, if you have 1.5" of toe-in that is way too much. Try 5 threads

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I went with 1/8th each side and ended up with 5 threads each side. I had to take steering wheel off and re center it. Now mind you the dealer had aligned twice for me and It was still poor hadling so hope fully third time is charm. I will watch it for wear and handling. Thanks for the tips. I am a novice at most of this stuff. Maybe an 1/8th is too much?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

Wesman

May 1, 2016
Temple-Killeen, TX
Yes I went with 1/8th each side and ended up with 5 threads each side. I had to take steering wheel off and re center it. Now mind you the dealer had aligned twice for me and It was still poor hadling so hope fully third time is charm. I will watch it for wear and handling. Thanks for the tips. I am a novice at most of this stuff. Maybe an 1/8th is too much?
I bet you are fine where you're at. Mine handled like a different machine when finished.

W

Wesman

May 1, 2016
Temple-Killeen, TX
All of the Pioneers we have ever gotten in come with the steering wheel on them as they are "drive-off's". We drive them off the delivery truck as they are not crated.
Maybe it's different at some dealers because he showed me 3 1000 deluxe models sitting in a metal pallet all of them needed to be put together. The plastics had a clear plastic on them, the bumper and rops system and nets were in the back, the battery was boxed and all three had the steering wheel off.
When mine arrived at a dealer 100 miles north of me it had all of the rops on it, steering wheel on it, but the front bumper and nets had to be put on.
He did show me the assembly checklist and it showed the steering wheel assembly how to instructions!!!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Thanks guys. I just did my first alignment - ever.
Went from 3/16 toe-out to 1/8 tow-in. I'm surprised the difference it makes in high speed control. I' like my new tires even better now. I thought that bit of instability on gravel road was due to the tires but thats fixed now.

It was 1/2 revolution of the tie rod on each side to make that adjustment.

I stuck a small needle into the thick part of the tread at the center of each tire, measured, rolled back till the needles were the same height on the back of the tire and measured again. This way you can rest the tape measure on the needle and be sure you're measuring from the same spot.

It also helps to hold the tie rod in place with a wrench so you can count exact how much adjustment you are making.

Last edited:
W

Wesman

May 1, 2016
Temple-Killeen, TX
Thanks guys. I just did my first alignment - ever.
Went from 3/16 toe-out to 1/8 tow-in. I'm surprised the difference it makes in high speed control. I' like my new tires even better now. I thought that bit of instability on gravel road was due to the tires but thats fixed now.

It was 1 full revolution of the tie rod on each side to make that adjustment.

I stuck a small needle into the thick part of the tread at the center of each tire, measured, rolled back till the needles were the same height on the back of the tire and measured again. This way you can rest the tape measure on the needle and be sure you're measuring from the same spot.

It also helps to hold the tie rod in place with a wrench so you can count exact how much adjustment you are making.
I also checked mine as you described above after using the string!! It makes these things drive totally different, I'm glad I adjusted mine.

advertisement
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did mine this week, handles much better. Just looking at it though looks like passenger side is still pointing out. I'll have to ride on the trails to see how it does.

I used the string and set the front wheels straight with the corresponding back wheel. Then set the toe in to 3/16" in. I had more difficult time getting someone to help hold the tape measure than doing the job. Asked @CumminsPusher a lot of questions first, he is always quick to help. Went quickly and easily after that. So, thank you again sir!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Sent from iPhone

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finished. Still looks a little toed out. Probably an optical concussion. With lock nut in position, passenger threads are 3.5 and driver 6. Stearing wheel aligned. Does not drift left or right.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went down the mountain and into town after the alignment. Thought I'd check the alignment on the highway and also check if that wrench came back up. No wrench and tires tracked very well....

J

jge3

Jun 28, 2018
kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you should never roll backwards when setting the toe-in. only forwards. that way it takes all the play out of the steering

Reactions: ghost
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I had mine done on an auto alignment rack. 1/32 toe in on each side.
4500 miles on the tires and they look great. Lots of pavement use at 45-55 MPH

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the same thing Montana. Almost 8000 miles on mine had the tires rotated once. All 4 are wearing the same. I'm about due for another rotation and will have the alignment checked at that time. I'm running Maxis Bighorn lite truck tire they made all the difference in the world in ride and handling.

A

Ababcock91

Aug 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So is it mainly toe and not camber caster that is the problem with front tire wear?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!