Fuel gauge

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
2014 700 p4

So I noticed a month or so ago that my fuel gauge is stuck on full. I tried searching on here but didn't find a thread with this topic. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any particular direction I should look first to try to save me some diagnostic time...

Thanks.

Reactions: sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Try to check if the float is stuck on the side of the tank.
I cant remember if it is the 500 or 700 or both.
But sometimes the fuel level float can get caught against the side.
When this happens the float is in the extream up position, like more than just full.
A little nudge and it will free itself.

Propably need to fish around with a bent up coat hanger but be gentle with it.
If it feels like the float moves then I don't know.
(It's entierly possible that I don't know anyways)

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
That was going to be the first place I headed. I filled it as full as I could get it a couple tanks ago thinking maybe it would lift it off what ever is catching but no luck... I was hoping a bunch of people would say there was a place known for pinching wires that caused it or something like that. .. guess it's time to do some fuel tank fishing

Thanks

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You are the first I have heard this from.Im curious cause eventually it will happen again as these things age

Reactions: Tflynn and sharp
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
The first thing I would do is to check if the float is stuck in the up position. If not, there is a procedure in the service manual for testing the level sensor with an electrical meter. You may have to pull the sending unit.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
The first thing I would do is to check if the float is stuck in the up position. If not, there is a procedure in the service manual for testing the level sensor with an electrical meter. You may have to pull the sending unit.
Here it is a year later and I just keep adding gas. And not actually fixing the problem...

I am sure one of these days ill be stranded on the mountain out of gas and that will be the last straw and I will finally do something about it.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
Well after much time I finally fixed the problem... Turns out the float had to be stuck. I was coming down a snowpack dirt road over the winter with my snowplow on and when I crossed a cattle guard. My plow frame caught and had an extremely harsh jar... Needs to say fuel Gage works again.

I attached a picture to give you an idea of just how hard I hit 3d76057ba21093d4fde25d1da4883916

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
H

hightechcoonass

May 4, 2020
Thibodaux LA
Ownership

1. 700-2
You can check it by ohming the send unit...
around 90 ohms full around 700 for empty.
bump the SXS and watch the ohms move to check if its free.

Looking down at it there are 4 pins ,
Referencing lock tab at the top 12 o clock .
pen on North west and pin on south west.

so then.....
if that's the case , putting a 400 ohm resistor back to the dash meter and you should see about 1/2 of a tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah
W

William06

Sep 18, 2020
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-4
2014 700 p4

So I noticed a month or so ago that my fuel gauge is stuck on full. I tried searching on here but didn't find a thread with this topic. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any particular direction I should look first to try to save me some diagnostic time...

Thanks.
I have the same problem. I thought the float was stuck on the side or something, so I got a bent metal coat hanger and did some fishing, but I couldn't find the float, so now I'm having someone who has more experience than me do a second check. I'm starting to wonder if it somehow could've come loose and fallen out. I had some people go fill it up for me a few weeks ago. Could it have fallen out if they had left the cap off and the string tore or something? I'm a bit new to this.

Reactions: Isaiah
J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm having the same problem with 160 miles showing full all the time I am starting to regret buying this unit

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!